Halloween Forum banner

481 - 500 of 996 Posts

·
Registered
13,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #481
I think 2017 was the first year for the giant spider. So it's been out for a couple of years. Aside from last year's dragons, it has been the one giant prop (mostly skeletons, but the zombie horse, others) that I have followed from HD that took the longest to get the 50% off treatment, and I have not seen it go 75% off, unlike the skeleton horse, zombie horse). If they went 75% off it was a blink and you missed it, unlike with the other giant props (save last year's dragons). Thus, I think that they have not had issues selling this prop (50% off right before Halloween is not a sign of terrible sales necessarily, more like just smart business). And yes it is gigantic and heavy and has a huge box, but it strikes me as being somewhat cheaper to make than the big skeletons. They could bring it back and sell more. Not saying they are definitely going to, but I don't see why they wouldn't.
Yep it was a blink last year. Saw it at 50% late at night and overnight it had been reduced to 75% but sold out by the time I saw it here on the west coast.

·
My other ride is a Ninja
11,008 Posts
Smoky Orb arrived. Here’s a video. Kind of hard to film. This orb is HEAVY! Hold this guy only by the base. I think the orb portion is a plastic, not glass, from tapping on it and it’s filled with a liquid and some substance that appears as smoke inside swirling around in the liquid. Uses 3AAAs. *The note on the bottom reads “Shake before switch on”, so acts more like a snowglobe than a lavalamp. Makes sense since batteries won’t generate any heat for convection.

Update:
*I found a simple tilt of the globe to the table surface produced a long, swirling smoky affect in the globe. Don't shake it. Very happy with it.

Here's a few photos.

Thanks for the review i just ordered one :) when you saw a slight tilt of the globe did you put something under one side or just how ?
thank you

·
My other ride is a Ninja
11,008 Posts
Just put our ship together. Brilliant design. Very happy with it. For some reason I thought the skeleton would talk, but he is the same size as the standing one that came with the barrel so may switch them out. Too tall to fully assemble the mast in my garage. Once I get done accessorizing it will look amazing! View attachment 715602 View attachment 715603
thanks for the review i had told my self i was going to be good and buy no big props this year omg i want this lol

·
Registered
13,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #485
Thanks for the review i just ordered one :) when you saw a slight tilt of the globe did you put something under one side or just how ?
thank you
The base is kind of a 3-sided design what with the gargoyles and such. With the base on the table I basically tipped the globe down to the table top onto one of those 3 sides and then tipped it back up to it's standing position. Each time I would do that it yielded a much nicer flow of the inside smoke. I'll play with it later, see if I can add batteries and do a video showing this but it's just a simple motion. With just me here at the moment kind of hard to film and push the Try Me button to get it to light in order that you can see the smoke.

I wish I had a tiny camera that I could insert inside the base to actually see how this works. Convinced there's a little fan blade that gets powered inside the globe.

·
Registered
13,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #487 (Edited)
Illysium, glad to see yours arrived too. Nice staged photos! I think this is one of the nicest spirit balls that I've seen and the price is so reasonable. My Madame Misery is going to love her new toy!

I did notice yesterday there was some settling in the globe when it was dark and not lit and some fine particles near the base. I boxed it up after last night and haven't taken it out again yet. Wonder if more will become "clear" as it sits longer. Kind of sounds like something Madame Misery would say.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Illysium, glad to see yours arrived too. Nice staged photos! I think this is one of the nicest spirit balls that I've seen and the price is so reasonable. My Madame Misery is going to love her new toy!
Thanks!

Yep, I love this thing. Great price too!

I really want to get Madame Misery as well. I don't have a place to put her though.

·
Registered
13,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #489
BTW Illysium did you try to peek inside the bottom holes with the battery cover off? Curious what you thought was going on inside.

·
Registered
13,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #492 (Edited)
4 LED's and what I assume is a small fog machine motor.

View attachment 715655
You are braver than me opening that up! Seeing people build props and animate them here on the forum has me thnking about how... where I probably didn't before.

Don't know if you were able to tell on your orb but when I tilted mine I was able to see an air gap and small air bubbles. The air gap gets hidden normally by the top cap, so the globe is almost completely filled with some sort of liquid.

·
Registered
440 Posts
You are braver than me opening that up! Seeing people build props and animate them here on the forum has me thnking about how... where I probably didn't before.

Don't know if you were able to tell on your orb but when I tilted mine I was able to see an air gap and small air bubbles. The air gap gets hidden normally by the top cap, so the globe is almost completely filled with some sort of liquid.
Just three little screws.

Yep, mine has the bubbles as well. I was thinking it would look a lot better without the top cap. I guess it serves a purpose though.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I wish the head moved side to side ,but it has an all new howl nothing like the grey towering wolf from last year.I'll try and put a video up unless HD beats me to it.It's impressive.Might get another grey one to go with it.The eyes are buggy but I think I can get some glue behind them .Which they would stop using rubber masks.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
I wish the head moved side to side ,but it has an all new howl nothing like the grey towering wolf from last year.I'll try and put a video up unless HD beats me to it.It's impressive.Might get another grey one to go with it.The eyes are buggy but I think I can get some glue behind them .Which they would stop using rubber masks.
Interesting cause his body is very similar. Thanks for the info!

·
Ghouls Rule
2,584 Posts
Remind me the seasonal policy on price matching at HD? I feel like I had bought some stuff before and either had them price adjust in store within a certain time frame or returned the full price item and rebought same item on sale. Just fuzzy on memory

·
Registered
586 Posts
Remind me the seasonal policy on price matching at HD? I feel like I had bought some stuff before and either had them price adjust in store within a certain time frame or returned the full price item and rebought same item on sale. Just fuzzy on memory
30 days from purchase. If it’s online it’s a lot easier.

481 - 500 of 996 Posts