Halloween Forum banner

21 - 40 of 782 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Just wanted to point out a flaw in the giant Werewolf for anyone buying. His shoulder connection is laughably weak/poorly designed for such an enormous prop. The left one on mine snapped the first day I had it up. I sliced open his fur and temporarily fixed. When I take him out again I will fix it permanently with angle brackets/mending plates (can't remember exactly what is needed).

So if you buy, just be careful with arranging. Best if you anchor or support him in some way, or lateral sway will break a shoulder.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Just wanted to point out a flaw in the giant Werewolf for anyone buying. His shoulder connection is laughably weak/poorly designed for such an enormous prop. The left one on mine snapped the first day I had it up. I sliced open his fur and temporarily fixed. When I take him out again I will fix it permanently with angle brackets/mending plates (can't remember exactly what is needed).

So if you buy, just be careful with arranging. Best if you anchor or support him in some way, or lateral sway will break a shoulder.
Yes, come to think of it we had to fix the shoulder on ours too. I can't remember which one it was. It was a last minute purchase the day before Halloween. Also, a floor display. We used it as Lupin in our Harry Potter yard display.

·
Registered
116 Posts

Is that the couching one? Bought the standing one after Halloween so still in the box.

·
Registered
211 Posts
A day or two ago I saw that Home Depot still had some halloween props and christmas lighting at 50% off. For Halloween, that had surprisingly included the Gigantic Spider, think it was down to something like $124.99 and was in stock to order. I bought mine off ebay for about that after halloween and after I had missed out on the 50% and it sold out at that time, so wasn’t in need of another (or could store another!) but was thinking maybe I would order a few more of the Show Home globes if they went down to 75% off. Meant to come here to post after seeing the Spider but got busy and forgot. Checked things today and sadly Everything is Back to Full Price. Don’t know if anything did get reduced to 75% or if 50% was the lowest they took things to this year. With it being February now, I’m thinking that’s it for sale priced holiday decorations. Sale probably ended 1/31.
I finally got my HD spider!!!! I feel like I found my unicorn and all the wonderful pixie dust that powered it hehehe :D

·
Registered
211 Posts
I got the gigantic spider when it was half off from Home Depot and I love it. It is really big and I think it's going to make a great addition to the haunt this October. I also got the large wearwolf last year . It was a floor display and it stopped working once I got it home it was a risk I was willing to take. The kids still loved it because it was so big. Going to try to get it working over the summer.
Me too and opened it enough to take the batteries out to avoid corrosion...now if only I could figure out how all the parts fit back into the box :D

·
Registered
883 Posts
Home Depot will be carrying the new Gemmy Pennywise and Beetlejuice as well as Jack and Sally

View attachment 580821
View attachment 580823
View attachment 580825

P.S. The ones in the stock photos are the prototypes so you can expect them to look more like the ones that were at the expo (ex Pennywise will have his pom poms, metal base, etc)
I went to the Home Depot site and looked for these but didn’t see them. How’d you get this to display?

Also, last year the day after Halloween I bought the standing werewolf and the full size horse at 50% off. The following day they dropped the price to 75% off. I called and they totally price adjusted my order and that got me to like $112. So, keep an eye out if you place your order early. They might price adjust.

·
Registered
328 Posts
The videos for the life size Pennywise and Beetlejuice have been released. They look pretty cool tbh

I’m hoping HD will still carry them.
Maybe it's just me, but I'm just completely underwhelmed by the Beetlejuice prop. Considering how the quality of props like this have gone downhill over the years, this one looks especially cheap. Maybe if the mouth moved, and maybe if it didn't look like it was going to shake itself apart I might spend 2-3 minutes at least looking at it in a store rather than walking right by it to look at something else.

·
Prince of Arkham Asylum
2,503 Posts
Yeah...not super impressed. Penny has much better voice ( if it really sounds like that ) but the plastic and paint feel pretty cheap. Beetlejuice is basically a train wreck. :/
You ain't kidding. They're both awful actually. The plastic on the face of Pennywise is so thin there's a dent on his chin... and that's on the model they're using to advertise it. I don't remember a pronounced pit in the chin of Pennywise, but I supposed I could be wrong and that's just a great level of detail that's lost on me. And no more moving mouths. Their props look worse with every passing year. I was considering getting Pennywise before seeing this video. Not no mo'.

I miss the days of quality 6' props from Gemmy with a SOLID base, and incredible features like a chainsaw with moving chain! The newer wire bases are terrible, and trying to put these new props together is ridiculous. The older props are set up in 60-90 seconds. These new ones take 15-20 mins or more. Just awful.

·
crossfit zombie
7,434 Posts
You ain't kidding. They're both awful actually. The plastic on the face of Pennywise is so thin there's a dent on his chin... and that's on the model they're using to advertise it. I don't remember a pronounced pit in the chin of Pennywise, but I supposed I could be wrong and that's just a great level of detail that's lost on me. And no more moving mouths. Their props look worse with every passing year. I was considering getting Pennywise before seeing this video. Not no mo'.

I miss the days of quality 6' props from Gemmy with a SOLID base, and incredible features like a chainsaw with moving chain! The newer wire bases are terrible, and trying to put these new props together is ridiculous. The older props are set up in 60-90 seconds. These new ones take 15-20 mins or more. Just awful.
I agree with the plastic face comment they look really plastic.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,328 Posts
Maybe it's just me, but I'm just completely underwhelmed by the Beetlejuice prop. Considering how the quality of props like this have gone downhill over the years, this one looks especially cheap. Maybe if the mouth moved, and maybe if it didn't look like it was going to shake itself apart I might spend 2-3 minutes at least looking at it in a store rather than walking right by it to look at something else.
I agree. If there's no mouth movement I'm not interested anymore.

Not fond of the Pennywise one either. The faces are great, but I'm just not interested. I'd actually prefer them both without any movement, just as a static prop.

21 - 40 of 782 Posts
About this Discussion
781 Replies
86 Participants
Anneliese Michel
Halloween Forum
Halloween forum - Keeping the Halloween spirit alive 365 days a year. Discuss decorations, costumes and more!
Full Forum Listing