Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year for Halloween I had this big white hat. I used some Red tape to make stripes on it and used plastic straws for whiskers and I was the cutest cat in the party. If any one of you has similar Ideas for homemade costume ideas. Please share here.:D

·
Shadow Crosser
741 Posts
I did Medusa one year and bought a green swim cap. I sewed rubber snakes to it after I had threaded the snakes with wire. Then I took some sort of batting material and dyed it green and glued that to the cap around the snakes for hair. Painted my face like a snake and wore green leotards and a lot of green scarfs. Won 2nd place with it.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Back in middle school, before I started making costumes, I bought a caveman wig, brushed it back, sewed felt ear shapes to the sides, painted my face brown with a black nose, sewed a tail out of a peice of fake fur and glued fur to a pair of black gloves. I was a werewolf. I wore one of my plaid jackets to go with it.

·
Reaper
3,611 Posts
I think home made costumes are always the best! When we were little my mom always made our costumes. One year we wore dresses and she made my sister and I glitter crowns and wands so we could be princesses. Another year she made capes and we bought hats so we could be witches... *sigh* the good old days. Now i'm trying to make an 18th century dress so I can go as an old ghost...

·
Zombie Inside
2,045 Posts
My sister and I rarely ever got store bought costumes but we were okay with that because ours were always better! My mom kept a box that was full of assorted accessories and we would just rummage through that and all the closets in the house to put together our costumes.

Here we are as a witch (one of my dad's t-shirts, a black scarf, and a witch hat) and a gypsy (an old skirt, shirt, and scarf from my mom's closet, lots of costume jewelry, and some gaudy make up):

Now I've got my own costume box. Unlike Mom's it's full of strange articles of clothing that are pretty much only fit for Halloween...and it's a growing collection! But it assures that in a few years I'll be able to put together a wide variety of costumes in a snap!

·
How about a magic trick?
1,002 Posts
That made me LOL!!
:D
Very creative.
I believe that homemade costumes are better (and way less expensive) than store bought.
Mine so far has cost me under $50!!
If I bought a store bought one, it would of cost me 3 to 4 times more!... And forget e-bay. Some of the joker costumes literally cost an arm and a leg on there....
Who can afford that?

·
Registered
291 Posts
I don't know that I have ever bought a costume unless it was an accessory to the acual costume I was making.

Here's my kids from this year, I think I have maybe $25 wrapped up in all three.

Mine and my wifes are in construction right now, I doubt I will go over $30 for the two of us.

·
How about a magic trick?
1,002 Posts
I don't know that I have ever bought a costume unless it was an accessory to the acual costume I was making.

Here's my kids from this year, I think I have maybe $25 wrapped up in all three.

Mine and my wifes are in construction right now, I doubt I will go over $30 for the two of us.
wow. very creative!!
awesome job!!

·
I'll get you my pretty!
550 Posts
i agree - part of the fun for me is putting a costume together - anything i buy is altered to make sure it's different from anyone else.

this is my son as the riddler - when the jim carrey film was out - suit made from a pair of curtains!

and my daughter as robyn hood - that's one of her dad's tshirts she's wearing as a tunic

and a ladybird costume i made her too

·
The Halloween King
626 Posts

Really creative, great job man.

That's how parents should be.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Thanks, I think many parents are under the impression that's it's too difficult to put together something creative. I just walk around my besement /garage and stare at parts and pieces (tomato cages/chicken wire/insulation foam/pool noodles/eye of sauron) until I get an idea then I pitch a few to the kids and see what they like.
If I was to say "hey kids, what do you think about being a fairy princess?" I would get "how will we make the fairies fly around me?"

·
Registered
814 Posts
You all did a fantastic job with your costumes!! I'm also a huge fan of homemade costumes...

I made this costume for my son two years ago.....this year I'm working on his pirate one...
:)

·
Registered
291 Posts
You all did a fantastic job with your costumes!! I'm also a huge fan of homemade costumes...

I made this costume for my son two years ago.....this year I'm working on his pirate one...
Whoa, that is pro quality sewing...I need you to work on my goat pants!

Love all your props (from your PB link) very nice work.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Two years ago I made myself into Sally from Nightmare Before Christmas. One plain blue dress, some scraps of cotton, a sketchpad and the DVD on pause a lot so that I could get the markings in the right place (the store-bought ones just weren't close enough for me LOL I'm fussy!)
Took about three days of sewing, but looked quite cool...

Last year, I made Bastien and "the other one" (Hubby never named his beastie!)

It's not the best pic, but it's the only one I have in work...

Last year I made myself and my husband "ride along demon birds" for want of a better name! It doesn't show in the pic, but I've got leather-look pants hanging over the side of the bird, and black scaly chicken feet on my own legs LOL!

The head is held on a pole, and has a mechanism in for opening and closing the beak. They eyes light up red at the flick of a switch. Yes, he is being a naughty bird, and does have a cigarette. Thats why I'm holding his head trying to get it back, but he was having none of it!

Total cost for the 2 was about £50. I could have gone cheaper, but I was on a deadline rather than budget, and went for the easier options instead of the cheaper.

If anyone wants to give making one of these a go, let me know and I'll put together a step-by-step process as best I can. They're pretty simple once you get started, as long as you have an idea what you're going to do LOL.

I'll also try to get some pics this evening showing it a bit better :)

Just gutted that I can't wear it again this year. The hostess cannot dress the same on consecutive years, no matter how much she loves her creation! Am stumped this year!

·
Registered
291 Posts
Many thanks!

BTW...what are your goat pants?? lol!
This year I am going to be Pan (half man/half goat ...baaaa) so I am putting together (almost done) furry pants....made from material that looks like super soft teddy bear fur.
My sewing skills are zero so I have drawn blood twice and the one leg I finished is pretty tight on the thigh...my wife took a look when I put them on for a test run and gave me the "ummmm I dunno, you sure you want to go that tight?"

·
Registered
84 Posts
Heres a very cheap Sally costume I made my daughter a few years ago. Unfortunately I can't sew. :( I'd be making all kinds of things probably year round if I could. lol

This was 2 adult tshirts connected with the no sew hem stuff and painted with fabric paint.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts