Halloween Forum banner

Home Improvement Halloween Episodes on 1 disc!

11K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  srdodson0131 
#1 ·
Okay, so I'm rubbing it in... every year we talk about our favorite HW television shows, and Home Improvement and Roseanne are my favorites...

Roseanne had a HW only disc already, but for some reason Home Improvement didn't...

I was given the Home Improvement complete series last year and I just spent the morning ripping all 8 HW episodes onto one disc! Woot! (okay, so it's really 7 HW episodes and a sorta HW episode from the first season...)

I had wanted to burn episodes from the DVR, but ultimately didn't feel like editing all the commercials. (lazy)

I'm going to start making a Christmas disc too, the lighting contests gags are great!

/end rub-in

#4 ·
Oh my god there is someone else out there like me (although my husband didn't think so!).

For the last five years or so I've been using our DVR to compile and edit (guess I have more energy than you...or maybe I'm cheaper :rolleyes:) my favorite holiday episodes of different shows (mainly halloween & christmas). I even did this with my favorite commercials. Also collected those HGTV and such specials on extreme holiday decorating for ideas. I kind of got the idea to do this one day during a christmas holiday marathon. I've kept everything from Home Improvement to Buffy the Vampire Slayer, from The O.C. to The Beverly Hillbillies, from The Drew Carey Show to Bewitched, from The Addams Family to The District for example. I've enjoyed a wide range of shows and always looked forward to when they did special holiday ones. I've even collected some of the holiday cooking shows and specials from Emeril, Martha Stewart, Alton Brown and others.

Speaking from experience if you decide to do a holiday collection like this, I'd suggest starting an inventory list right from the beginning. You might just start with Home Improvement (which I think I did) and found that you want to keep other shows too. I found it easiest to just use spiral notebooks--one color for Halloween, one color for christmas, etc. Each page of the notebook represented a unique DVD and listed the episodes on it. I decided to edited out the commercials because of the storage issue. A 1-hour show has varied over time but more recently there's about 20 minutes of commericals to an hour but you get anywhere from 38 minutes to 44 minutes generally of the actual program; similar ratio for half-hour shows. Oh and did I mention that holiday movies and made-for-TV movies can be the next group you get the bug to save....:D

#13 ·
It is very easy to backup DVDs you already own. You know, that you paid for. I would never do this to a DVD I rented. NEVER.

You will need
DVD Shrink (free) (encoder)
DVD43 (free) (decrypter)
A DVD Burner (assume you have one in your pc?)

I would post a step by step, but I recommend googling it. I just did the HI Xmas episodes last night, it takes maybe 1.5-2 hours for all 8 seasons. Luckily, we were just watching TV anyway.

I am going to track down all the Simpsons episodes next. I only have about 5 of those seasons, they are just so expensive and there are soo many, although I think they are about 7 years behind at last check.

#16 ·
Okay, so I'm rubbing it in... every year we talk about our favorite HW television shows, and Home Improvement and Roseanne are my favorites...

Roseanne had a HW only disc already, but for some reason Home Improvement didn't...

I was given the Home Improvement complete series last year and I just spent the morning ripping all 8 HW episodes onto one disc! Woot! (okay, so it's really 7 HW episodes and a sorta HW episode from the first season...)

I had wanted to burn episodes from the DVR, but ultimately didn't feel like editing all the commercials. (lazy)

I'm going to start making a Christmas disc too, the lighting contests gags are great!

/end rub-in
I wanted them to come out with a set of just the Home Improvement halloween episodes ever since they did it with Roseanne!
Christmas ones of Home Improvement would be awesome, too!
I have to watch them small, with distorted voices on YouTube instead. 😆
I do have the Roseanne Halloween episodes set, though! I only like the first, maybe, four episodes though. Then (in my opinion) they get pretty tacky.
But the first few were essential for me growing up! Same with Home Improvement!!
🎃👻🕷💀🐈‍⬛