Halloween Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
March 23, 2020: City shuts down and everyone is forced to work from home. Yeaaaa now I can spend my day working on Halloween projects, watching horror movies and finally have time to do some light reading.

Perhaps I should get some of those unfinished Halloween props completed...

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,772 Posts
Yep. That looks about right! :LOL:

I see you've got "The Strain" there in your pile. If you really haven't read it yet, I can highly recommend Del Toro's "Strain" trilogy. They were great books. Of course as always read the books first, then watch the show. The show was actually pretty good.

And if you'd like to add another vampire trilogy to that pile I suggest Justin Cronin's "Passage" series. They're really well written & would make a great TV series. Fox tried but they only got one season of it out then got canceled & it was good but never had a chance to get a footing.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
I've been steadily loading my Kindle library with free books by searching "free Kindle books horror" in Amazon's Kindle store. Yes, some of them are shill-y "Book 1" offerings, but there are also some good classics and compilations to be found there. I like the short story anthologies. Be sure to check the "Digital books you might like" banner after clicking on a selection. There are usually additional free books in the same genre there. Check regularly since the free books change over time.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,772 Posts
I've been steadily loading my Kindle library with free books by searching "free Kindle books horror" in Amazon's Kindle store. Yes, some of them are shill-y "Book 1" offerings
I do the same thing!! I've got Dracula, Les Miserables, & a few others on my Kindle. If I see it's a "book 1 of" I skip it.

A LOT of those seem like they'd fit in my category of "Just Because You CAN Write a Book Doesn't Mean You SHOULD". You can find hundreds of them in the 6 for $1 section at the used book stores & if they're hardcover they make great books to turn into spellbooks.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
  1. How did you make the crosses in pic 3?
  2. Are those stones in pic 3 store bought or made?
1. The crosses are one of my current projects (work-in-progress). They are part of my RAM Sacrifice display for this year (if it happens). When completed I will have 6 of them in a semi-circle around my black figure. Each cross is constructed from schedule 40 PVC and stands over 8' tall. I then covered them in burlap mache which still needs to be painted. I will then attach reclaimed oak branches to conceal the burlap and make it look like it was constructed just from tree branches. Intermingled with the tree branches will be real corn stalks (once I figure out how to adequately preserve them). And the final piece will be RAM Sacrifice creatures that will be suspended from the crosses in various tortured poses. Hopefully the end result will be a very organic, surreal display that looks like it was pulled from a Celtic forest during some pagan ritual, or something like that.

2. Yes (technically both). The smaller ones in front are actually store bought tombstones from Walmart. I glued them to sheets of foam and heavily modified, distressed, textured and painted them to match my custom tombstones. The photo below shows a side-by-side comparison.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Oh man. I for sure thought I was the only one that enjoyed The Frighteners. Kind of weak plot, but I'll watch young MJF in just about anything.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Oh man. I for sure thought I was the only one that enjoyed The Frighteners. Kind of weak plot, but I'll watch young MJF in just about anything.
I remember hearing about the Frighteners and it's amazing director and then watching it and not really understanding what the fuss was. Then he who shall not be named desecrated the Lord of the Rings and then brutalized a children's book. Screw him.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I see you've got Bradbury's "Something Wicked This Way Comes" amongst the books. You're probably already well acquainted with his "The October Country" collection of short stories, it's obligatory Halloween reading. 🦇

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Little known fact; Lord of the Rings / Hobbit movies by Peter Jackson would not have existed if it wasn't for Frighteneers. This movie allowed Peter to explore and perfect special effects that would later be used in his epic tales of The Shire, and the fact that he had a bunch of very expensive hardware and software left over from Frighteners and no new project to use it on until Lord of the Rings.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I see you've got Bradbury's "Something Wicked This Way Comes" amongst the books. You're probably already well acquainted with his "The October Country" collection of short stories, it's obligatory Halloween reading. 🦇
Most of his notable work was written decade(s) ago and is still relevant today. I remember reading Fahrenheit 451 in high school, of course that was a time before it wasn't political correct to read it. The Halloween Tree is my most favorite, I even found a Halloween Tree once that reminds me of the book:

·
Registered
422 Posts
Most of his notable work was written decade(s) ago and is still relevant today. I remember reading Fahrenheit 451 in high school, of course that was a time before it wasn't political correct to read it. The Halloween Tree is my most favorite, I even found a Halloween Tree once that reminds me of the book:

View attachment 730327

You know, I don't think I've ever gotten around to "The Halloween Tree"! I'm gonna go order it right now. 🦇

1 - 15 of 15 Posts