Halloween Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cleaning out the shop. Have these Spooky FX pvc air cylinders that were modified but never used. Hate to see them sit idle. I added a rig that keeps the cylinder from twisting and turning anything attached. They are about 14 1/2 inches and extend to 25 inches.

Willing to let them both go for $25.00 plus shipping. Contact me if you are interested : rstrelak (at) cox.net. rams.jpg

·
BAD INFLUENCE
11,448 Posts
Along with what captpete said , you couldn't pay me enough to take them ...............It really doesn't make any sense anymore to make cylinders from pvc with the availability of them on the internet. For what a person puts into making one in time and materials ,you can get a good used or if a person looks hard enough ,a new cylinder that is infinitely safer and way more efficient.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Just build a strong box around them to catch the pieces if they fly apart.
Point the "business-end "away from everyone.
Use a low pressure setting.
Design the prop like a teeter-totter so a small mount of force makes the movement.
If someone wants absolutely safe and fool proof props.. just sit and watch TV instead.
The morgue guys will eventually find you when the neighbors complain about your smell!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Sorry to be Debbie Downer, but using PVC pipe with air pressure is dangerous. I would not recommend it.
Pete
As long as the PVC is pressure rated, it shouldn't be a problem. I used to build pneumatic air pressure cannons and never had an issue. If a person is really worried about it, just wrap several layers of duct tape around the entire cylinder to prevent shrapnel in the event of a rupture.

·
BAD INFLUENCE
11,448 Posts
As long as the PVC is pressure rated, it shouldn't be a problem. I used to build pneumatic air pressure cannons and never had an issue. If a person is really worried about it, just wrap several layers of duct tape around the entire cylinder to prevent shrapnel in the event of a rupture.
PVC isn't rated for gas pressure . If you read all the info that is printed on any major PVC manufactured by a reliable company you will see it states it is not to be used for transportation of compressed gasses.
Here is a link that will maybe clear things up. It is an older issue but it still holds true. https://www.osha.gov/dts/hib/hib_data/hib19880520.html In todays world of lawsuit happy people I would be really interested to see anyone defend themselves in a lawsuit when a PVC pipe bursts and causes an injury. Just food for thought.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts