Halloween Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I've had a good home haunt the last 2 years in my grandmas basement lol, which is actually very large. This years tho I want to make it public. Should I try and build one outside? The weather is a problem in Buffalo tho. I just don't want to spend so many hours building a haunt that just friends and family would see. Thanks

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Hi! Well, there's really a lot to consider! Like you said, weather is a HUGE factor. It will not only affect Halloween night, but the weather leading up to Halloween will affect how much time you'll be able to work outside to put things up. A Halloween tip I firmly believe in - things always take longer to set up than you think they will!

Working indoors, you could start setting up & making projects ASAP, which gives you a big lead. You also don't have to worry about storage space because you can just put things where they will eventually go, rather than pile it all in one area until you can take it outside.

Do you have an entrance to the basement that leads to outside? If so, maybe you could create an outdoor path to the basement door where the haunt would continue. If you don't have an entrance from the outside, is there a way people could easily come in a door & go to the basement? If none of those options would even work, then I'd suggest starting a bit small outside this first year, to see how it goes without driving yourself crazy or getting into trouble with the weather, etc.

Some people use pop-up canopies to create rooms on their driveway that people can walk through. That's relatively simple as long as they are well-anchored for weather. Another option is to create a maze out of wood, pallets or even cornstalks. If you have a porch or patio in the front, that could be incorporated too.

And another option that maybe you haven't considered - perhaps there is a nonprofit agency or school or other group in your area that you could offer to set your props up at their location so that others could enjoy them. Like, maybe a local Boys & Girls Club would consider putting on a haunted house, or something else like that. Sort of out-of-the-box thinking, I guess.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts