Halloween Forum banner

HOME DEPOT old light strand trade-in program to update to LEDs

4231 Views 33 Replies 12 Participants Last post by  thenightmarefamily
I just came back from HOME DEPOT and they just started a brief trade-in program for people wanting to get rid of old incandescent light strands and upgrade to new LED ones. The program started on 11/6 and runs thru 11/16, so if you are interested in trading in old strands and getting a credit towards the purchase of new LED lights, act quickly. Here's a photo of the promotional box I saw in the store:

$3 off Home Accents Holiday LED Lights
$4 off Marth Stewart Living or GE LED Lights
$5 off EcoSmart or Gemmy Lightshow LED Lights.--I'm wondering if this would also apply towards the Gemmy LED Lightshow spot lights and Kaleidoscope lights as well?
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
128 Posts
Am I the only one who likes the old lights better? LEDs are great for some things... but some I really don't like. Maybe it's just in my area - but the christmas LEDs only come in very harsh blue, green, and red. So all the houses look kind of the same.

· Registered
128 Posts
I think they'll take anything. No one was really inspecting anything. They just had a big huge box they said to toss the lights in.

They want the dead ones to recycle. So don't get rid of your good ones! Unless you want to replace them with LEDs of course.

I can only guess that they end up at a recycling place like this one:

http://ideas.time.com/2013/12/26/where-your-christmas-tree-lights-are-headed-next/

They strip the lights for the rubber and metal (copper) wires and make new stuff out of them to sell.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.