Halloween Forum banner

HOME DEPOT old light strand trade-in program to update to LEDs

4228 Views 33 Replies 12 Participants Last post by  thenightmarefamily
I just came back from HOME DEPOT and they just started a brief trade-in program for people wanting to get rid of old incandescent light strands and upgrade to new LED ones. The program started on 11/6 and runs thru 11/16, so if you are interested in trading in old strands and getting a credit towards the purchase of new LED lights, act quickly. Here's a photo of the promotional box I saw in the store:

$3 off Home Accents Holiday LED Lights
$4 off Marth Stewart Living or GE LED Lights
$5 off EcoSmart or Gemmy Lightshow LED Lights.--I'm wondering if this would also apply towards the Gemmy LED Lightshow spot lights and Kaleidoscope lights as well?
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Ghouls Rule
2,697 Posts
mike, I sooo need a blue kaleidospotlight, any chance you can hook me up to ship to me? Also, if your old light strand has lets say, a bitten wire from squirrels or something, is that something that thats they will accept for trade in, or does it specifically have to be usable?

· Ghouls Rule
2,697 Posts
sorry, I didnt mean for you to pay on your own, Id pay everything of course, even at the full price without you sacrificing an old light set.

But if you meant you didnt want to pick up and ship to me I can pay you in advance if that makes you feel better, not sure why you would be uncomfortable shipping an item but I guess you have your reasons? Id be the one taking a risk after all and I feel I can trust a fellow forum member.

There are none in my county or the next so Im at the mercy of fellow forum members. Another forum member is helping me get my cat inflatable, so without members to help each other out for places that are dry of merch Im not sure how else we all can really get these sorts of things from weird stores like HD and Lowes.

it really is just a great forum. :)

I suppose I can try ebay but really do hate paying out the nose for a $20 light.

· Ghouls Rule
2,697 Posts
Today I brought in 2 strands, though they didnt count them and just gave me the coupon and said it was good for up to 5 lights. I go to self checkout and the girl who gave me crap about halloween before was there. I let her scan my items for me and the coupon but the coupon wasnt giving the discount.

I was trying to buy the Lightshow 8 bulb kaleidoscope string, normally $29.98 each.

She told me the coupon wasnt taking and since the lights I wanted to buy werent pictured, then that means I got the wrong lights for the discount. I mentioned that it doesnt specify certain SKUs for individual lights, just a generalized mention, like Marthas got this discount, Lightshow/Ecosmart got the highest, etc. and that if I couldnt get my discount on the lightshow lights then the coupon isnt working as intended.

So I said Ill go to CS and ask them about it. She follows me over and makes a big show by scanning my item and the coupon and saying to the CS guy since its not giving me the discount then I cant get the coupon applied manually by them. Im like, who are you, are you a CS person or manager? I then looked at the CS guy who I originally gave my old lights to and asked him to show me where on the coupon it specifically says I cant use it on a Lightshow product of my choosing?

The CS guy was looking it over and then another CS lady came over and they both read the coupon entirely and said it showed no exclusions and manually gave me the discount. Plus I used my $50 gift card I managed to get from the whole blood light debacle with them sending me only 2 of 9 lights. Now I just hope the lights dont die on me, ogt to go test them now.

· Ghouls Rule
2,697 Posts
GOS, I dont think you read my post correctly, I turned in my lights to the CS desk on the 16th since the promo says it runs "through" the 16th and the fact that they accepted them and told me it was the last day is kind of a no brainer. 11/6 to 11/16 is 11 days as the coupon says and I was there on the final day.

Even the girl who was giving me trouble mentioned it was the last day for the coupon since it wasnt ringing and I was prepared to go back and take my old lights back if CS didnt handle things. (I guess her threatening me was her idea of good service? her tone was way out of line.)

Anyway, dont feel like shopping HD in the future with all the hassles its been, time will help forgive and forget but for now Im jaded.

Wth the exception of another member here who gave her time to help me get the kitty inflatable, thats really only been the good part of the HD experience.

· Ghouls Rule
2,697 Posts
yeah, so whats up with snotty HD girls trying to run the show?lol. Let the CS peeps do their job, yeesh. I feel like maybe we should write to HD about thsi promo. Also when I asked about the promo a few days prior, no one could give me a consistent answer, most just shrugged that they didnt know. Seems to line up with what other folks posted about in this thread, a poorly rolled out promo that caused a bunch of grief to all partys. I hate leaving a store miffed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.