Halloween Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
14,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just came back from HOME DEPOT and they just started a brief trade-in program for people wanting to get rid of old incandescent light strands and upgrade to new LED ones. The program started on 11/6 and runs thru 11/16, so if you are interested in trading in old strands and getting a credit towards the purchase of new LED lights, act quickly. Here's a photo of the promotional box I saw in the store:

$3 off Home Accents Holiday LED Lights
$4 off Marth Stewart Living or GE LED Lights
$5 off EcoSmart or Gemmy Lightshow LED Lights.--I'm wondering if this would also apply towards the Gemmy LED Lightshow spot lights and Kaleidoscope lights as well?

·
Insert Witty Comment Here
4,484 Posts
Bummer....not much of a deal considering how many LEDs I would need. You'd still need to pay about $7 - $10 for a box of LEDS. I read a while back about a power company that was doing a one for one swap...that I'd love to see.

It's about time the price of LEDs comes down just like everything else tied to technology.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Thought about doing this, I could get 5, hubby could get 5. I know that would replace one section of my Christmas lights. Then selling my old ones I could get a few dollars. I need to replace the ones on my candy cane fence, but that is going to take about 20 strands. I have a little over 200 feet of lights just on the fence, unless I can find 20' lighted

Anyone know about the lights they are offering it on, are they good? Does anyone know if its just per visit, or could I go back again that week and do it again?

·
Human Candy Shovel
1,107 Posts
Reading the details,one detail stands out "offer not valid on purchases from any Home Depot affiliate store." Badly constructed legaleze suggesting you can't actually trade in old string lights for new LED lights at any Home Depot location. In reality, what it means is the trade in is on a per location system. So if you have three Home Depot stores in your area, you could legitimately trade in 15 strings of old lights for LED lights, because the trade-in rules apply only to purchases you are making at that location.

·
Registered
14,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Stopped in Home Depot Saturday night and had the sales clerk show me the Trade-in Form they give you when you bring in your incadescent light strands. Looks like those rebate coupon you use to see a lot in stores.

The Gemmy LightShow Kaleidescope globe projectors qualify for $5, and the Home Depot Home Accents red, blue, green spots (made by Gemmy for Home Depot) qualify for $3.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Thought about doing this, I could get 5, hubby could get 5. I know that would replace one section of my Christmas lights. Then selling my old ones I could get a few dollars. I need to replace the ones on my candy cane fence, but that is going to take about 20 strands. I have a little over 200 feet of lights just on the fence, unless I can find 20' lighted

Anyone know about the lights they are offering it on, are they good? Does anyone know if its just per visit, or could I go back again that week and do it again?
I own quite a few strings of the Home Accents and Lightshow led lights. They're pretty good quality.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Am I the only one who likes the old lights better? LEDs are great for some things... but some I really don't like. Maybe it's just in my area - but the christmas LEDs only come in very harsh blue, green, and red. So all the houses look kind of the same.

·
Evil Wizard
2,169 Posts
Am I the only one who likes the old lights better? LEDs are great for some things... but some I really don't like. Maybe it's just in my area - but the christmas LEDs only come in very harsh blue, green, and red. So all the houses look kind of the same.
Agreed. Not a fan of most LED Christmas lights.

·
Registered
14,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hello? I never said it was a rebate form. They will give you a form that you take to the register. Its printed on what looks like a rebate pad that they tear off and hand to you. You need to get one of these forms when you turn in your lights.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Hello? I never said it was a rebate form. They will give you a form that you take to the register. Its printed on what looks like a rebate pad that they tear off and hand to you. You need to get one of these forms when you turn in your lights.
Thanks for clarifying. I know you personally never said it was a rebate. My mistake presuming from another's presumption. Guess the lights go back in the car today. :)

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
My experience and savings today

Visited one HD early AM this morning to purchase something else. Was told at check-out that you could just turn in one stand and purchase up to 5 lights at a discount. Returned later and was told this was incorrect info--that it's one strand per discounted light purchase allowed. But they let me purchase the 4 red and green spots I wanted anyway using one strand. I had extra strands in the trunk just in case. Pretty embarrassing. Guess my instinct was correct.

That HD didn't stock the White Kaleidoscopes and blue non-motion spots I wanted, so traveled to another HD. This one was fully stocked--brought in four stands to purchase four lights. The customer service person was great--I said I wished I'd had more strands, because I didn't realize there was a Green Kaleidoscope--she asked how many I wanted; just two--I like getting these in pairs. So she let me purchase them. Further didn't realize that the same store had both the Blue Kaleidoscope lights--still have my Lowes receipts for those--as well as a *red* Kaleidoscope.

As stated, the single color non-motion spots were $3 off list price of $15, and so the cost was $12.
The Kaleidoscope lights were $5 off list price of $20, making them $15.

Returned the $20 White Kaleidoscopes to Family Dollar and the $15 single-color spots to the At Home (Garden Ridge) store.

May return later in the week to the store with the Mega Stock and return purchase two blue Kaleidoscopes and two red Kaleidoscopes, returning the blue K's to Lowes.

My advice--bring one strand per light you'd like to purchase to be safe. Especially if that's the official policy. Sounds like it's unequally enforced. Some of my strands were the small cheap Orange and Purple $1 strands from Dollar Tree that I didn't much care for anyway. My cat of course had to give my replacement merch the sniff test, if you look closely, you'll see her.

Book Collection

·
Ghouls Rule
2,675 Posts
mike, I sooo need a blue kaleidospotlight, any chance you can hook me up to ship to me? Also, if your old light strand has lets say, a bitten wire from squirrels or something, is that something that thats they will accept for trade in, or does it specifically have to be usable?

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
mike, I sooo need a blue kaleidospotlight, any chance you can hook me up to ship to me? Also, if your old light strand has lets say, a bitten wire from squirrels or something, is that something that thats they will accept for trade in, or does it specifically have to be usable?
Not sure I'd be comfortable sending out a light. Maybe someone else can pitch in, sorry. I think they'll take anything. No one was really inspecting anything. They just had a big huge box they said to toss the lights in.

·
Ghouls Rule
2,675 Posts
sorry, I didnt mean for you to pay on your own, Id pay everything of course, even at the full price without you sacrificing an old light set.

But if you meant you didnt want to pick up and ship to me I can pay you in advance if that makes you feel better, not sure why you would be uncomfortable shipping an item but I guess you have your reasons? Id be the one taking a risk after all and I feel I can trust a fellow forum member.

There are none in my county or the next so Im at the mercy of fellow forum members. Another forum member is helping me get my cat inflatable, so without members to help each other out for places that are dry of merch Im not sure how else we all can really get these sorts of things from weird stores like HD and Lowes.

it really is just a great forum. :)

I suppose I can try ebay but really do hate paying out the nose for a $20 light.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I think they'll take anything. No one was really inspecting anything. They just had a big huge box they said to toss the lights in.

They want the dead ones to recycle. So don't get rid of your good ones! Unless you want to replace them with LEDs of course.

I can only guess that they end up at a recycling place like this one:

http://ideas.time.com/2013/12/26/where-your-christmas-tree-lights-are-headed-next/

They strip the lights for the rubber and metal (copper) wires and make new stuff out of them to sell.

·
Registered
14,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The promo says incandescent strands in any condition.

A few years ago I bought a couple 100-mini light incandescent blue light strands I thought would look cool on our fence...going for an icy look. No one liked them up however and figured it would cost me more than I paid for the strands to change out all the bulbs to another color so plan to pull those together and turn them in.

There's a few green LED spots l'd like to pick up for my halloween display and maybe one or two of the white kaleidoscopes so want to do the trade in before they all get purchased by xmas shopping people. Most HD locations in my area are only showing a few of each color and once gone not sure if they will restock before the offer expires.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts