Halloween Forum banner

41 - 60 of 91 Posts

·
His name is Roger Clyne
10,153 Posts
People were not putting a cool down on the eyes. It is originally intended to have a duty cycle of 8hours on 14hrs off. People were bypassing the timer by hard wiring the supply directly to the eyes.
Would you have preferred a skelly that had the option of having an AC adapter or battery? And by "you" I mean the general consumer that isn't going to alter their skelly.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Would you have preferred a skelly that had the option of having an AC adapter or battery? And by "you" I mean the general consumer that isn't going to alter their skelly.
It depends, for me I only use it one day out of the year so batts would have been fine. I have mine wired to a relay which switches them on when my animated routine begins so they needed to be wired.

Some people still have this thing up for different holidays. Personally I think it takes the thrill of this monstrous beast having it up more then Halloween but I have seen Thanksgiving, Christmas and even Valentine's Day decor on him. I guess going this route you would need to hard wire a 6v power supply to it. Putting a timer or directly soldering onto the timer battery would solve this issue because both would either do what the timer intended.

I guess the choice us yours but for me personally I think consumers would prefer the battery pack but changing those batteries isn't easy. It is in an awkward spot and just the visual of what your doing could look "strange" to the neighborhood.

Even with a wired power supply I heard people ripping out the attachment at the skull by having no slack on the cord. When some fell over it also broke the eyes by ripping out the molex connections on them. I am sure the company realized more would break this way and decided against it.

·
Super Moderator
5,844 Posts
I would have sure preferred it plug rather than battery. Though I recognize there would have been other challenges with that decision and making it collapsible for storage.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
10,153 Posts
I couldn't imagine having that skelly out all year. I understand having a regular sized one out maybe, but we have winter here in MD & I can't imagine it'd be good for it, same for any really windy days.

Plus like Industen said, it seems like wouldn't be as impactful for Halloween if you saw it every day.

·
Registered
255 Posts
My thoughts are what is the UV rays doing to the ones staying out you know the plastic on these isn't that great and you know they are not coated for it. I would think by next year they would be pretty fragile.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I bought one 12' 2020 skeleton, early in the season and online (and with a coupon!), delivered with no problems, and considered buying a second.... but then it was too late. I even remember seeing boxes in stores and thinking "hmmmm, maybe I should....". I definitely want probably 2 more, for a total of 3, this year. Would love to have a regular (undoctored) pair, just two big skeletons. and then have the third to try and modify, in what way?.. not sure.

Simply put: (for me) he was a show-stopper, a total crowd-pleaser when people needed it most (including myself!). Had little kids in the neighborhood come by regularly just to see it. I met new neighbors who were now taking pandemic walks with families, chatted with moms I'd never met, my son met new kids he'd never seen.... we have a lot going on in the yard, but he was a gem in 2020. not sure I would've traded him for anything this past year. Looking forward to 2021!! I'll be checking regularly for 2021 stuff when summer rolls around!

(side note: agree with being afraid to have him out all year, or extended periods of time. My 5' skellies get brittle after a few years, and I was envisioning big guy's ribs probably breaking first when and if that time comes. I couldn't relax on windy days when I was away from home - thinking of him falling and breaking)

·
Registered
255 Posts
(side note: agree with being afraid to have him out all year, or extended periods of time. My 5' skellies get brittle after a few years, and I was envisioning big guy's ribs probably breaking first when and if that time comes. I couldn't relax on windy days when I was away from home - thinking of him falling and breaking)
That's what I was thinking i had a few break this year putting teh skeletons in the truck for transporation to the campground, granted they are a few years old. They are outsid but in a portable garage which with those to the suns rays wear out the tarps, mine never did make it up last year just out of the box.

Personally I'm hoping there isn't anything great big ticket items this year to save me. Already working with my local guy on a couple of Distoration products., and seriously thinking of the 10ft Morris Costumes Skeleton but waiting to actually see what he does (mixed reports)

·
Registered
18 Posts
looks like there’s a new 12 foot skeleton this year. this time with a moving mouth. looks like the appearance is quite a bit more family friendly this time. don’t know if it will be at Home Depot this year.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
looks like there’s a new 12 foot skeleton this year. this time with a moving mouth. looks like the appearance is quite a bit more family friendly this time. don’t know if it will be at Home Depot this year.
I knew they would implement jaw movement this year, but those sayings just don't fit. Easily changeable though. It will be interesting to see where they put the speaker. I put a 50watt car speaker in his chest and it was still hard to hear.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Man, THAT got taken down quickly.....

·
His name is Roger Clyne
10,153 Posts
It also looks like it's got a cord too so it probably has an AC adapter.

I had a feeling they'd give it a voice but I also had a feeling that any sayings they'd give it wouldn't be anything we'd like but it's a step in the right direction I guess.

·
Registered
71 Posts
It also looks like it's got a cord too so it probably has an AC adapter.

I had a feeling they'd give it a voice but I also had a feeling that any sayings they'd give it wouldn't be anything we'd like but it's a step in the right direction I guess.

Eh, with enough creativity and soldering, you can make it say what you want ;)

·
Registered
369 Posts
But what’s the price? I mean $300 is about the top end of what people are willing to drop in store. They may be able to move a few at $500, but above that and you’re targeting specific types of haunters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
255 Posts
Very true on price. Especially something that will only probably last a few years, unless put away in a climate controlled environment. The way things are right no I would even expect the 12 footer as he is now to be around $350.

·
Registered
18 Posts
ok, I’m pretty sure the video won’t get taken down this time. this version of the 12 foot skeleton may be UK exclusive. there is also a reaper version this year being sold by Morris costumes.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I found that UK shop:

But not sure how much in trust it.

Seems a bit shady

..and the street view ain’t filling me with confidence:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
53 Posts
Has anyone ever tried those random companies you see floating around on Facebook? I kept seeing one last year for $50 for the 12' skelly. Seems to good to be true. I was thinking about getting a prepaid visa to buy one, I dont want to put my cc info out there.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Has anyone ever tried those random companies you see floating around on Facebook? I kept seeing one last year for $50 for the 12' skelly. Seems to good to be true. I was thinking about getting a prepaid visa to buy one, I dont want to put my cc info out there.
They are scams. If it sounds to good to be true, then it is. You should see things people receive in the comments section. It is actually humorous. Like the talking pumpkins from AtmosFX. People were getting a hand size plastic pumpkin and that was it. Without Paypal protection you are SOL.

41 - 60 of 91 Posts