Halloween Forum banner
1 - 20 of 1937 Posts

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
It's a heck of a lot better than Spirit Halloween.
We are all entitled to our opinions. I appreciate all stores that stock Halloween. Last year I bought the giant Skeleton from HD, and two of the small gargoyle statues, but that was it. I kept going there but there was nothing else that demanded I buy it, and my Halloween budget is essentially bottomless. Off hand I can recall that I bought from Spirit, in store or online: The Hauntress, Flesh-Eating Zombie, Harvester of Souls, Man's Best Friend, Krampus, Lord Dhak, Phil and Doug Degrave, an older Sawing Wood...Earlier in 2020 I bought Crouchy. After Halloween I purchased a number of things, most significantly four professional quality 4 foot flame lights for a total of $100 dollars. I won't even mention the twenty or so Spirit props I bought on the secondary market, as that is besides your point. I am sure I am forgetting other purchases. I bought nothing at HD after Halloween as they had nothing.

I very much appreciate HD's Halloween offerings, but it is not as good as Spirit, let alone a heck of a lot better.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
We are all entitled to our opinions. I appreciate all stores that stock Halloween. Last year I bought the giant Skeleton from HD, and two of the small gargoyle statues, but that was it. I kept going there but there was nothing else that demanded I buy it, and my Halloween budget is essentially bottomless. Off hand I can recall that I bought from Spirit, in store or online: The Hauntress, Flesh-Eating Zombie, Harvester of Souls, Man's Best Friend, Krampus, Lord Dhak, Phil and Doug Degrave, an older Sawing Wood...Earlier in 2020 I bought Crouchy. After Halloween I purchased a number of things, most significantly four professional quality 4 foot flame lights for a total of $100 dollars. I won't even mention the twenty or so Spirit props I bought on the secondary market, as that is besides your point. I am sure I am forgetting other purchases. I bought nothing at HD after Halloween as they had nothing.

I very much appreciate HD's Halloween offerings, but it is not as good as Spirit, let alone a heck of a lot better.
I really dislike Spirit props cause they just are not great quality. The only thing that I bought last year from Spirit was Harvester of Souls(looked cool). It came with a dead power supply (no voltage tested with a multimeter, actually made a video on this). The fog wouldn't shoot through his mouth after a few activations (the tube is way to small and condensation builds up inside). Such a waste of money Spirit needs better R&D because these props do not last very long without modification.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Ha! The fog on my Harvester of Souls stopped working too, but because the fan in the mouth stopped working. I haven't had a chance to look at yet. But I did get several nights of steady use out of it first. It was a very impressive prop at night when working. A very unusual, unique retail prop. I commend them for rolling it out. Clearly susceptible to issues, of course.
HD's animatronics are subject to the same issues as Spirit's, of course, as their mechanics are the same, all made by the same few factories in China, I would guess. Spirit definitely comes out with more and a wider variety of animatronics. HD'S animatronic offerings are much more bread and butter (pirates, witches, ghouls, werewolves, etc), aside from the the giant skeletons/spider of the last several years.
And again, I like HD. I like Spirit.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
The fan worked it just wouldn't creep up the young girls hose and out of her mouth. It really didn't make any sense to me because it seemed to be clear of obstructions minus some condensation. I was so burned out from halloween that I just boxed it up for next years fixes. Will troubleshoot more this season.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
10,374 Posts
Last Halloween was just weird on many levels & stores just didn't know what to do with themselves.I think they honestly thought they were gonna scale things back this year because they thought no one was going to do Halloween when in reality people who never decorated before were decorating.

I hope those people decorate this year too & that ALL stores step up their game.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Stores like michaels need to stock more of what they sell. This year, if you didn't buy it by the end of SEPT.,they were cleaned out and were replacing the empty shelves with xmas stuff. I hate it when stores stock halloween and xmas at the same time. They start cleaning off the shelves days before halloween even get's here. Unlike xmas, you can't go back to most stores that sell halloween merch. the day after and get it on sale, it's almost always gone.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Stores like michaels need to stock more of what they sell. This year, if you didn't buy it by the end of SEPT.,they were cleaned out and were replacing the empty shelves with xmas stuff. I hate it when stores stock halloween and xmas at the same time. They start cleaning off the shelves days before halloween even get's here. Unlike xmas, you can't go back to most stores that sell halloween merch. the day after and get it on sale, it's almost always gone.
Yeah, Michael's dumps their merch earlier than anyone. Pretty much every brick and mortar store has gotten better managing their inventory over the last couple of years.

·
Registered
23 Posts

I would have to disagree about not buying from Home Depot. While Spirit tends to have a lot of good decorations, their prices are outrageous and then they charge you "oversize package" upcharges on a ton of their decorations. It's highway robbery. Plus, you have to use their 20% discount coupons just to get the price down to semi-normal levels. On top of that, most if not all of their animatronics are for "covered porches" only. If you use them where they will get rained on (ie: almost everywhere for pretty much everyone) they tend to go bad unless you jury rig them yourself to waterproof them with plastic bags and waterproofing tape. No different than other companies, I suppose, in that part, but they should be better than anyone else for the prices they charge, and they're definitely NOT. Home Depot has really become the go to place for decorations of late. Their pirate ship from two years ago was the best decoration that I bought that year. Their large skeleton horse was a fantastic addition for my display as well. Their graveway arch this year worked excellently for me and was relatively inexpensive for what it was. So was their grave digger animatronic. That one, in fact, was my best find of this past Halloween season. It really looked like a Disney prop and was a big hit. So while I appreciate that, for people with "bottomless" budgets, Spirit Halloween still provides some of the best decorations below the professional level, as someone on a large but still limited budget I quite a bit resent their pricing, durability of product, and especially their oversize box upcharges.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Ahh...the old Spirit's shipping charges argument. I find Spirit's shipping policies very clear and fair. Normal shipping is usually free, or essentially free. If you think a $20 upcharge for a four or six or eight cubic foot box is highway-robbery, I can deduce that you have neither shipped a package over the last several years nor been robbed by a Highwayman.
I have written before how Home Depot leveraged their shipping network with their seasonal floor spaces with very tall ceilings to become the go to place for enormous retail props. Just because they have that advantage doesn't mean that Spirit is ripping people off by doing otherwise. Two separate things can be true.

1 - 20 of 1937 Posts