Halloween Forum banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
I can't get to his arms this year. I have the parts to rotate at the shoulder and arm but it will have to wait.
You using servo or pneumatics? I ended up choosing those servocity gear servos for several reason over pneumatics which i have a ton of.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
You using servo or pneumatics? I ended up choosing those servocity gear servos for several reason over pneumatics which i have a ton of.
Both. Servo in the neck, pnuematic in jaw. They will be servos in the arms as well. Originally, I just wanted it to talk, but this project kept updating. I changed his arm position and he will be holding moving prison cages as well.

·
Registered
30 Posts
You beat me to it. That's exactly what I had plans to do but I can't get my hands on one. I refuse to pay the ridiculous prices on ebay. Nice job!
Do what I do: graverob ;)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Great work, really cool for 30 bucks. The best solutions are the ones that every one can build and afford.

Yes the skulltronix is a little pricey and many would never justify its cost. But many times it boil down to time or money. I see the 4 servo setup with a dmx 14 servo 3 rgb led and autotalk controller board that includes 4 servos and is a true 3 axis motion setup as worth the money if i factor my time into making it myself, and trust me over the past decade I have worked with several of these types of skulls and servo systems even trying to build a 3 axis system from scratch and I can say that The Skulltronix is the best yet. The setup & config software for the board is easy and straight forward. Servo motor limits and protection including turning motors off etc are all there.

I am going to put a servo controlled skull in one of his hands and he is going to talk as well. Will run him off the channels from the Skulltronix controller. be working on that in the next few days. Then I have some ideas for programming. Hamlet comes to mind.

Alas poor yorick!

Can you make it so you talk into a microphone and the skeleton's mouth moves in unison in real time?

·
Registered
237 Posts
Yes the Autotalk feature of the controller board has that option. I have not yet played with it but will. Here is an inside look into the build.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Yes the Autotalk feature of the controller board has that option. I have not yet played with it but will. Here is an inside look into the build.

Pretty awesome. Cant wait to see the Autotalk feature. Would you ever consider converting these skulls for others for a price? And if so, what do you think you would charge? Thanks, Jason

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
Pretty awesome. Cant wait to see the Autotalk feature. Would you ever consider converting these skulls for others for a price? And if so, what do you think you would charge? Thanks, Jason
I'm planning on offering this with auto sync jaw and random head turn (not 3-axis) if I can ever get my hands on one. This will be a much cheaper solution and super easy for the average end user, no programming or DMX required. Hopefully HD gets these back in stock over the Winter.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I'm planning on offering this with auto sync jaw and random head turn (not 3-axis) if I can ever get my hands on one. This will be a much cheaper solution and super easy for the average end user, no programming or DMX required. Hopefully HD gets these back in stock over the Winter.
Have you done this before with just a skull? I'm guessing yes. Any videos you can show us? Thanks, Jason

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Can you make it so you talk into a microphone and the skeleton's mouth moves in unison in real time?
I have used it with a mic and audio changer. Unfortunately, I will not need that option as the 8 routines will be enough for me. I have 30+ pneumatic props that I have to tend to if something goes amiss. It can be done and is really cool for that chatterbox.

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
Great job! Just a friendly suggestion though, I would slow down some of the head movements. 🎃👻

·
Registered
237 Posts
Thanks! Yeah these a routines that I have used for standard size skulls. This big boy is significantly heavier! Have not had time yet. :)

·
His name is Roger Clyne
10,078 Posts
I read this:

...and the other hand can hold something.
...as this:
..and the other hand holding a can of something.

And I thought "Hmmm......wonder what kind of beer the skelly will be drinking?" I don't even like beer but it was the first thing that popped into my brain!

Great work!

I'm sure HD will have these next year & then they'll be like Beanie Babies to the folks that scarfed them up for resale.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts