Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 276 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I’m new to this forum officially. Unofficially I have come here for a long time and drawn on inspiration. This year I plan to take the plunge, actually already taken the plunge and started building my very own Dark Ride! I have taken inspiration from people like “SedgewickHotel” and sites like the House of Shocks Dark ride from phantasmechanics. I hope to give other people insight into how to do this and also look forward to a lot of constructive criticism and great ideas!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So, I don't have a garage to build in - but I do have an older wood building to build in. (I'll picture it later.) Pictured below is my early concept of the building frame and an extra porch that I just finished building to give a "loading/unloading area." This way I can dedicate more square footage for the dark inside.
untitled.117.jpg

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I hope “SedgewickHotel” doesn’t mind but after studying other people’s designs I came back to this design. I think it is the best, simplest and most compact. Here is the frame I am about to have welded together.
As a side note, I have access to laser cutting and other fabrication processes. However, everything that I build can be accomplished a lot simpler. I'm just making it pretty as I go because this is my daily job. I am a 6 year 3D Mechanical Design Engineer with 6 years experience - and I work in the Nuclear side of things in 3 different countries. Hey, avid Halloween fans come in all shapes and sizes! Cart#1.jpg
Cart#2.jpg

I wish “SedgewickHotel” would stop by. I'm wondering if the drive wheels ever bind up in the turns? According to the drawings it will. However, I don't know if it will take up the slack or lack of through the frame. . .

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For anybody that is interested. I have the track designed and actually already laser cut the parts. They are sitting on my back porch waiting to be welded together. Unfortunately, it will probably be a couple of weeks before I get to them because of Christmas and New Years. I'm still debating on whether or not to energize the track. I like the idea of getting rid of the batteries to drive the car and it would make it easier to control the car from a control panel, at least in my head.

90 Turn Sectionedited.jpg

Straight Section .jpg

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Track sections are modular.
The tracks are made of all 1/4" mild carbon steel. Laser cut and for the turns where rolled to a 24" radius.
The floor mounts on both the straight sections and the turns have holes in them for concrete anchors and wood screw. Just incase I move to my driveway (concrete) next year.
Each straight section is 4 foot and the turns are 2 foot sections.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here is the spoken of building I plan to build in. Please forgive the mess thrown around it. I started throwing things out of it in order to rip the front wall down to build the new porch on it. In the picture you can see the 2X4's have been moved to allow for 2 big doors on either side of the porch that will allow the cart to enter and exit the building. It looks small and it is. However, I can do it. It is a 12' x 16'? building with an additional 5' x 12' porch that will act as an loading/unloading dock.
IMG_20151210_075559_218.jpg

·
black light queen
2,630 Posts
this is going to be so kewl!

i need to teach myself how to weld

in fact, several months ago i purchased a flux wire welder from harbor freight :) ... but the current project on top of the list is a "floor" up in the attic so that stuff can be stored there easier ... our "collection" is getting to the point where storage is becoming an "issue" ... eventually i want to get an outdoor storage shed ... ok, i'm way off topic ... didn't mean to hijack this thread ... :-( so i'll stop now

haunted engineer, keep us updated ... we want a ton of pics :)

amk

·
Disney Inspired
840 Posts
Keeping an eye on this one! Nice work. I have seen others attempt this project however I don't think I have ever seen a finished product. Your design looks basic and it appears you are on your way! Good luck!

·
Registered
210 Posts
Awesome - Awesome - Awesome! The man has a plan! Any thoughts on the graphics?
For me the graphics are more fun than the actual ride at most carnivals (not implying this will be the case for you).

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My head is spinning with ideas! I was actually hoping for some help and inspiration.

There are so many routes I could take like: whimsical (Disneys Haunted Mansion type) or straight up, scare the pants off anyone who enters!

There's a old school Freddy Krueger theme, "All Horror movie Doll's theme (Chucky, Billy, etc.) , Demented Circus/Clowns. I don't know.
Ideas are welcomed.

One thing about the theme is, I need be able to replicate it was ease. . .

1 - 20 of 276 Posts