Halloween Forum banner

Hologram projections - comparison video of various scrims and fabrics

Atmosphere Effects: 
8K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  PRO5OHHO 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Excellent comparison video JCO! This is exactly what I was looking for! I appreciate the time and effort you spent putting this together.

The tulle I tested was also grainy and a bit too transparent. I have 4 yards of JoAnn's chiffon that I will be testing soon. If that doesn't work, I'm going on to using a shower curtain! :)

A couple of questions for you.... How far was the projection material from your window? I had a double-image with the tulle, but the fabric was pinned about 3" away.

Also, I had bad window reflections back into my room. Did you experience any of that when you tested these materials and was it lessened with the chiffon? I'm guessing that my issue may be too many lumens with my projector...

#13 ·
I just did a similar test, but I didn't record it. Unfortunately for me I have no choice but to put the projector directly behind the window. I'm using the Zombie Invasion vid which projects its own background so instead of looking for the most invisible material, I'm looking for one that projects the best image without letting through any light from inside. I narrowed it down to a white semi-transparent curtain, and a $2 walmart frost shower curtain. Both had excellent image quality but for my application the frost shower curtain wins hands down. The shower curtain completely diffuses the light of the projector so really all you see is the image. You can't even see a bright spot where the projector is even though it's pointed right at the window. So for anyone stuck in my boat, go for that $2 frost shower curtain.

#14 ·
A minor FYI - I just added some footage at the 13:37 mark specifically comparing the Chiffon and Hollusion material. From what I'm seeing the Chiffon lightens the overall view, brightens the projection, and has a slight "softening" effect on the background. The Hollusion material darkens the view, slightly mutes the projection, and maintains the sharpness of the background. Take a look, decide which qualities are more important to you and proceed accordingly.

#18 ·
When I was first researching Chiffon I tried black and got a really unsatisfactory result. The image looked ok when viewed directly from the front but as soon as you moved a foot or two left or right the image faded away completely. I don't know if the same would hold true for Tulle or not.

Also, be aware that the screen will be visible regardless of it's color - UNLESS the entire viewing area is covered by the screen. I have a breezeway between my house and garage. I could probably get away with hanging Chiffon (or whatever) between the two buildings and it wouldn't be noticed because the spectator has no other frame of reference. But if you have a screen hanging in the middle of nowhere with no cover, the edge of the screen will be visible compared to the area next to it.

I do Hollusions in my living room. The screen covers a large central window, but I also have a smaller window on either side looking into the same room. I draw the curtains over those smaller windows for the same reason - if you have three adjacent windows looking in on the same room but only one of them is covered by fabric, the difference will be obvious; but if the only view into that room is completely covered by the fabric, it will be more or less invisible because the spectator has nothing to compare it to.

#19 ·
Also, be aware that the screen will be visible regardless of it's color - UNLESS the entire viewing area is covered by the screen. I have a breezeway between my house and garage. I could probably get away with hanging Chiffon (or whatever) between the two buildings and it wouldn't be noticed because the spectator has no other frame of reference. But if you have a screen hanging in the middle of nowhere with no cover, the edge of the screen will be visible compared to the area next to it.
This is my challenge right now. I have a tree with hanging branches that I will be able to attach to and hide the sides/top of the fabric but I am trying to figure out how to blend the opposite side. Have you ever tried curving the fabric? There is a fence to the side that I may be able to attach to and hide it but I would have to pull it tight in almost a half moon shape. My projections are of ghosts rising from the graves so Im thinking it may work if I can figure out how to get the fabric tight enough maybe on a frame? I was also thinking of maybe attaching it to the back side of a prop I made which is famous places in horror with directional arrows. I may be able to attach the post right to the fence then the fabric to the backside of that. Going to fool around with some of it today see what works. Thanks for all your help!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.