Halloween Forum banner

Hologram Illusion with Atmosfx

Electronic/Software: 
2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  mikeerdas 
#1 ·
Does anyone have any experience utilizing the hologram effect? I plan on adding this to my haunt and was curious if anyone had photos/videos on how they did it. Seems like a rather cheap way to add another feel to my props. Any tips would be awesome too. Thanks.

#2 · (Edited)
I've seen some interesting hologram effects using a phone or tablet and it likely could be translated to a larger version using a flatscreen television, but the effect is rather obvious and wouldn't be very spooky since you can see all the parts used to create the effect. This is what I'm thinking of just in case I'm misunderstanding your use of "hologram" here: https://diyhacking.com/diy-hologram/

What you might want to look at is the term "Pepper's Ghost." This is an old magician's trick that has been used for lovely ghost effects for hundreds of years. Even Disney uses it - the Haunted Mansion's ballroom dancers are a great example.

It involves a projection, either fixed or (thanks to the modern age) video, some sort of transparent surface (glass, plexiglass, thin scrim fabric, even a shower curtain), and some basic setup including figuring out angles, the viewing area, and controlled lighting.

Here is a recent tutorial I came across for doing a small scale Pepper's Ghost effect that might work for you (using a small flat screen tv and picture frame/glass - just scroll down about 3/4 to the bottom and look for "DIY Pepper's Ghost Illusion):
http://momstart.com/creating-a-frightful-front-yard-for-halloween/

You can try searching on the forum for more ideas too. There should be dozens. I even saw one that used the plastic window film used for winter insulation and pipe conduit to create the projection frame...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.