Halloween Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, first time poster, but long time reader: thanks to everyone on here for sharing your knowledge and great ideas!

I want to step into the world of holiday projection and have the following questions:

1. When rear projecting a DVD (like atmosfear ghostly apparitions or Virtual Santa) onto a material (like a frosted shower curtain) how do you hide the projector in the background so you don't see it, and cause hot spotting?
2. Does the projector need to allow for Lens Shift or can you just angle it up and adjust the picture with keystone?

I've seen lots of pictures of the results of rear projection, but I'm looking to find out how the projector is placed in the background... or even hidden in the foreground if I wanted to project directly onto a surface without people seeing it.

Thanks for any help!

·
Super Moderator
5,787 Posts
I've never had trouble rearprojecting for Hallowindow. Typically the projector is a little below the bottom edge of the windo and projecting slightly up onto the simple white bedsheet that we use.

Hung a sheet to rear project movies this summer, and just put the projector on the ground, didn't have issues seeing it then either. How much shift happens kinda depends on the angles and how long of a throw you're making. My projector has a limited amound of correction on it, but even without, I wouldn't call the amount of shift we get a deal breaker.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick reply. So do you have to prop up the front of the projector to get the image to be displayed at that angle?
Also, what kind of projector are you using?
Thanks!

·
Funeral Crasher
7,443 Posts
I'm doing the Virtual Santa also, and my projector is setup on a bed, straight back from the window and I've never seen a hotspot of any kind. Even when I do the same thing for Halloween.
I'm using a Notevision projector, which has a joystick to move the picture up, down, left and right on the window. I never had to adjust the keystone.
And I just tape wax paper to my windows to project on.

·
Super Moderator
5,787 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply. So do you have to prop up the front of the projector to get the image to be displayed at that angle?
Also, what kind of projector are you using?
Thanks!
My projector has little feet that screw in and out to make the angle, haven't had to add anything to those.

As for what the projector is, I don't know. An OLD, BIG, HEAVY beast of a projector work was throwing out because there's a short in the power supply, the remote broke, and a few of the buttons don't work. I did a quick fix of the power supply, cleaned the contacts on the buttons, and have a free projector. I'm sure it was an expensive one whenever it was bought, but it's not something I would recommed even if you could find it. There are smaller, lighter, brighter, better ones available.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts