Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
a hobby lobby just opened on Friday her in my town just got to it last night and as the tile say's I was not impressed with a name like hobby lobby
I thought there obouvsly would be more things for the hobbyist not so much home décor, ohh and I swung into shopco while I was as they
had absolutely nothing for Halloween, just a bit for fall but boy they were pulling all the stops out for Christmas I think they had almost of it out.

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
7,044 Posts
There is tons and tons of craft/hobby stuff at my HL. I like the store. Yes, they have home decor...but so do other crafts stores like Michael's, Joann Fabrics, ect.

·
Registered
167 Posts
In my Hobby Lobby the entire front and centre of the store is home décor. If you can get through it though there are lots of aisles of crafting stuff and art supplies along the back walls. I get a lot of my supplies there because for me it is the only game in town, if I want JoAnn or Michael's I have to go farther into a bigger city.

They do have some good deals if you watch for sales and use the coupons (they have a 40% off one item every week and it is available on a smartphone)

Might be worth checking it out again, just hold your nose and plunge through the cutesy home décor until you reach the back wall :p

·
Wisp in the Mist
1,953 Posts
I'm one who only finds things occasionally at HL. I dislike the way that the stores are run, but that doesn't have anything to do with their merchandise, which is why I do shop there now and then.

I picked up the last thing for my victim there today, although it's different than I remembered...I must have been thinking of another store that had something similar. I can't place where it might have been, because it seems like a "crafty" item, and that was the only craft store that I visited. However, their Halloween selection is very picked over already. One side of an aisle, a couple of skinny endcaps, and a tiered table of merchandise. Plus the larger items way over in the frames section, on top where they can't be reached.

And, most of the store is on sale today--except Halloween! Thank goodness for the 40% off coupon, and only needing one item, right?!

I did buy some drawer and cabinet pulls for our newly remodeled kitchen, too. They finally had them at 50% off again. I only dread the fact that I'll need to order knobs to match, because the ones in their store appeared to be almost black lacquer, instead of aged bronze like they say they are (and like the one that I bought months ago to take home and compare to my cabinets, to make sure I liked them, is!). I'm going to be very upset if I order them online, and get the "new" version, instead of the nicer non-lacquered ones. (the sample on the display still shows the one that I bought to test out)

I also "scored" a 50% off book stand, to hold my spell book. I always chuckle to myself at my re-purposing ideas, as I'm buying something there. Oh, if they only knew! ;)

·
Registered
167 Posts
What is their Halloween decorations Dept. like? Would it be worth the drive?
I personally don't buy specifically Halloween decorations from them, a little more cutesy and glittery than I go for. Also NOT cheap, can be almost affordable with a coupon or sale but not anything that imho would be worth driving for. They also only have one aisle of Halloween and a few aisles of fall, I think that someone posted pics on the Hobby Lobby thread.

They do have a good selection of craft and art supplies, I just bought a tub of liquid latex there the other day.

Reactions: ooojen

·
Registered
79 Posts
The owners of Hobby Lobby are evangelical Christians, Halloween doesn't really fit into their beliefs. Well not the scary/gore Halloween items I like anyway.

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
7,044 Posts
My store has an aisle of Halloween, plus four tables full of Halloween...and several aisles of Fall/Harvest. Everyone's stores in different areas seem to have different amounts of merchandise than others...so none of us can really say what your closest store will have. Like said above, the owners are Christian, so they don't do all the scary, gory stuff...but they have a mixture of cutesy, traditional/crafty/rustic, and Vintage....indoor/outdoor decorations, tableware, ect...not props. I like their Vintage stuff and tablewares, personally. So, if you like any of those styles, the drive would be worth it. Just make sure to have a 40% off coupon with you if you go, because they can be expensive if things aren't on sale!! You can print it out off their site, or have it on your smartphone to show them. If you have more than one person going, make sure everyone has a copy of the coupon and have each person buy something separately...it's one coupon for one item per transaction per day. Fall stuff should be on sale, so you won't need a coupon for that. Halloween wasn't on sale when I went, last, but you'd have to check the website/flyer to know for sure before you go.

Also, like said above, the whole front of the store is decor...but the whole back and sides are craft, hobby, fabrics, ect...so if you need any of that, it would be worth the trip, too. Personally, sometimes I find things I need for crafts in the decor areas, too...for example...fancy glass bottles for potion bottle making, metal lanterns, bird cages, grapevine wreaths, ect. If you only want scary/creepy/gory Halloween decor or props...it's not worth your drive.

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,289 Posts
They wouldn't bother stocking it heavily with Halloween if it just opened since the items were already ordered months ago for their district and reordering now would mean more stuff that would not sell for them easily (since that holiday is coming up so fast it would not appeal as highly as just going heavy on the fall and christmas stuff).

Be that as it may, Hobby Lobby has started carrying a decent assortment of general and vintage looking halloween decor in the recent years. Nothing gory or scary, but cute, and especially the antique-y looking stuff is abundant in established stores.

But I do my craft shopping at Michaels due to personal preference.

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
7,044 Posts
That's a good point, Frankie's Girl...I forgot they said it was a brand new store. If it just opened, for sure they won't have all the stuff our established stores have due to being ordered months ago.

I don't have a Michael's...I have to go out of town to find one of those, so Joann's and Hobby Lobby are my go to choices for everyday craft needs. I'd love to have a Michael's, though.

·
Registered
14,080 Posts
I'm getting ready to leave for dinner right now otherwise would look up links for newbies to the last few years worth of threads from there. Should give you a good idea what they carry to some degree but I know just a small sample. I know I have photos of some of their aisles and shelves from a year or two ago in my albums which I probably posted to those threads. No real props per se that I can think of. Gory-iest thing I saw was probably metal zombie signage in the men's decor area.

My store has tons of craft stuff around the perimeter of the store. Everything from seasonal items to party goods, baking to rubber stamps and scrapbooking, doll making, foam wig heads, Funkin pumpkins, tons of paper craft and paint supplies and equipment, even those plastic model kits for cars and such, frames (finished and to be painted), "dress" pattern department, tons of clothing fabric and upholstery fabric, faux floral and garland (some creepy looking "plant" life too) and giant flowers maybe for an Alice in Wonderland kind of theme. They have baskets and chests and suitcase containers, bottles, jars, candles and other lighting. I've actually bought a number of things probably from most of those categories I've mentioned over the last few years for my haunt projects including a cross once for my vampire scene (bet the owners would love knowing that ;)).

Anyway as for the owners, oh well I don't think we need to burn them at the stake or persecute them like witches, so I shop there and definitely look for their department sales at 50% off and use the 40% off coupon when needed. Sometimes their clearance items are terrific bargains. But they definitely have a lot of what I would consider craft stuff on their shelves.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I certainly don't want to seem to jump on a bashing bandwagon for HL. And the owners are certainly entitled to run their business however they want. BUT ... I finally made it to a Hobby Lobby last week and I must say that the store does not live up to it's name. The store I visited was about 90% home decor and very little in the way of hobbies that I am in to. Of course, my hobby choices are not their fault but they should call their stores Home Decor & Beyond or Decor R Us or something A Hint of Hobbies.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I noticed the HL in my town doesn't have good Halloween home decor like they used to. Their Christmas and Autumn decor is great. But I do buy Halloween paper plates from them. But I also notice their halloween home decor has colors like purple and lime green mix with it.

·
Registered
386 Posts
A hobby lobby just opened by me too. I went last Saturday. I was disappointed to see full on Christmas this early. Check out the "Halloween" decoration sign on the Christmas display

Attachments

·
Registered
228 Posts
The owners of Hobby Lobby are evangelical Christians, Halloween doesn't really fit into their beliefs. Well not the scary/gore Halloween items I like anyway.
Was just going to say this. Haha. What did people really expect Hobby Lobby would have? Lol

·
Registered
575 Posts
I noticed the HL in my town doesn't have good Halloween home decor like they used to. Their Christmas and Autumn decor is great. But I do buy Halloween paper plates from them. But I also notice their halloween home decor has colors like purple and lime green mix with it.
This. My wife and I picked up a fall wreath and some other odds and ends last year for Thanksgiving, but as far as Halloween stuff goes, HL isn't great, unless you're looking for some little knickknacks to set out on your table or mantle. HL is a much better place for Christmas decorations, but Halloween, nah. Stick with Home Depot, Lowe's, Target, etc.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts