Halloween Forum banner
1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
14,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And all thru the Store, Summer was on sale, Spring was on clearance, and despite not being known for Halloween per se, it's looking orange!

Signs from the Men's Metal Decor area. Don't recall seeing these last year.

Can't bring yourself to cut up a real book? Found these paper mache hollow book boxes ready to cover and decorate. Room inside for things like LED lights and battery compartments for example.

·
Registered
14,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I found these donuts in the Home Decor clearance area. Had no idea they even carried stuff like this. With a little mold and bugs crawling on them I thought they would be a nice addition to the Zombie town bakery!

I know people look for containers for their witches kitchen or labs and found many of these in the Home Decor clearance aisle. Everything there in that section is now marked down 66% from original prices.

Some came in same style, different sizes:

·
Registered
14,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
With all the talk in the General Discussion area about Mad Lab stuff, I thought this container might make a nice Leech Jar.

Flowers on 50% off sale, these large Sunflowers remind me of halloween time.

Found these black flocked beetles that reminded me of scarabs somewhat. Plan to paint the white area with fluorescent paint and use in a black light area.

Not specific to Hobby Lobby, but saw these 3M hooks etc that I hadn't noticed before in the stores. Maybe you haven't either?! Always good to know what is out there. I know people here have been pretty happy using the removal 3M Command products.

·
Registered
14,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I imagine they are all equally large spaces. Bobzilla did you manage to go through the whole store? I can spend at least an hour or two looking at all the items on the shelfs and sometimes go back for a second day when I'm short of time and haven't been in the store in a while.

OK don't want to be a debbie downer here but might as well prepare you for the sight of this as well. It's lurking just an aisle away from the orange stuff...

But hey, if you need red or green lights, faux snow spray, or clear plastic "ornament" balls for some project....it can be a good thing!

Not sure if anyone is interested in fabric but might as well post a few photos of the really nice looking faux fur fabric they had in their sewing department. Hobby Lobby is one of the few stores in my area left with a fabric department (Joann's being the other one; and there is a Beverly's in San Jose).

My mind is swirling around ideas for my jungle theme and carnival theme. I love that last fabric. Brainstorming on covering a large metal chicken from ROSS with it and making some weird animal for my carnival side show.

·
2,627 Posts
I imagine they are all equally large spaces. Bobzilla did you manage to go through the whole store? I can spend at least an hour or two looking at all the items on the shelfs and sometimes go back for a second day when I'm short of time and haven't been in the store in a while.

OK don't want to be a debbie downer here but might as well prepare you for the sight of this as well. It's lurking just an aisle away from the orange stuff...

But hey, if you need red or green lights, faux snow spray, or clear plastic "ornament" balls for some project....it can be a good thing!

Not sure if anyone is interested in fabric but might as well post a few photos of the really nice looking faux fur fabric they had in their sewing department. Hobby Lobby is one of the few stores in my area left with a fabric department (Joann's being the other one; and there is a Beverly's in San Jose).

My mind is swirling around ideas for my jungle theme and carnival theme. I love that last fabric. Brainstorming on covering a large metal chicken from ROSS with it and making some weird animal for my carnival side show.
Hey Spookie :)
Looking forward to your Brainstorming on your carnival and jungle themes!
Although not everything in the store was to my taste, it was quite the overwhelming experience.
I only had enough time to brows quickly through the store. Next time around I'll really give it a thorough go over.
Before I left the store, I almost ran into a woman pushing her shopping cart around.
I looked down into her cart, and she had a pet Iguana wrapped up in a blanket like a baby :eek:;)
She proceeded to call out to a sales person....."where's the glitter" !!!
That was my que to leave :eek::rolleyes:;)

·
Registered
14,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I'm not a glitter person either (the craft supply that keeps on giving and giving!) and am forbidden to bring stuff into the house with it on it. LOL. I'll bet the iguana was a "comfort pet". Probably only in California. I will admit to having an iguana but it's a Gemmy dancing and singing one!

Wanted to mention since you are new to Hobby Lobby:

1) that they routinely rotate their sales on areas of the store, ie Home Decor, Men's Metal Decor, Floral. 50% is the best pricing you will get on something unless it's on clearance like 66%+. There is a clearance section for those items on deeper discount. Mine's all the way in a back corner of the store.

2) Sale items are listed each week in their online Weekly Advertisement. Printed ads are also in store as you walk in.

3) If something isn't on Sale, you can use an online 40% off coupon on one item per day. Just show the coupon on your phone to the cashier. Some exclusions on the coupon. I've used this on the styro men's head forms, reg. 9.99., that they carry along with the alien woman's head (both back in the styro foam section). I haven't seen the men's heads regularly stocked elsewhere in my area so this is my easy pick up location.

4) Hobby Lobby is closed on Sundays, so plan accordingly. Check their hours if you shop in the evening, my location closes at 8pm during the week, hour/s earlier than other local stores.

·
Registered
14,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I love those metal signs and cardboard/paper book thingies! I wonder how much their fur fabric is? Closest HL is 30min away and in a rural city, wish there was one closer.

Kittyvibe, I posted pricing in the descrip area of the album photo for each of the 3 fur fabrics I took photos of. Price was by yard and fur fabrics shown were in the 28 - 30 inch range width, dry clean only, 80% acrylic/20% v poly. You can use your 40% off coupon on fabric...applies towards one cut of fabric.

·
2,627 Posts
I'm not a glitter person either (the craft supply that keeps on giving and giving!) and am forbidden to bring stuff into the house with it on it. LOL. I'll bet the iguana was a "comfort pet". Probably only in California. I will admit to having an iguana but it's a Gemmy dancing and singing one!

Wanted to mention since you are new to Hobby Lobby:

1) that they routinely rotate their sales on areas of the store. 50% is the best pricing you will get on something unless it's on clearance like 66%+. There is a clearance section for those items on deeper discount. Mine's all the way in a back corner of the store.

2) Sale items are listed each week in their online Weekly Advertisement. Printed ads are also in store as you walk in.

3) If something isn't on Sale, you can use an online 40% off coupon on one item per day. Just show the coupon on your phone to the cashier. Some exclusions on the coupon. I've used this on the styro men's head forms, reg. 9.99., that they carry along with the alien woman's head (both back in the styro foam section). I haven't seen the men's heads regularly stocked elsewhere in my area so this is my easy pick up location.
Thank you! :)
Definitely only in California with the pet Iguana :eek:;):D

·
Registered
14,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Forgot to mention and will add to the above list, Hobby Lobby is closed on Sundays. So don't make the mistake of trying to go shopping there on that day, especially if your closest store is a bit of a drive for you. In fact check the store hours. Mine location closes at 8pm during the week, whereas other stores are generally open until 9 or 10pm in my area.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Hobby Lobby is closed on Sundays because the owners are religious. They were very convenient, and have a lot of good products, but I refuse to shop there now. I'm kind of amazed they allow Halloween merch, but then again I think they'll do whatever sells. Besides my general misgivings, I am also aware that they don't always treat their employees very well (had a friend that worked there, and the problems are systematic, not just localized in that store).

I am not trying to be a downer, and it's completely your business where you shop and what businesses you choose to support. But these are things to be aware of. I'd recommend Michael's, Joann, or shopping online if you are looking for alternatives.

·
Seer of All
2,939 Posts
kakugori, I have to agree with you. I'm not a big fan either. I used to shop there a lot until I became aware of their politics and business practices. I wonder if they're trying to reach a new demographic by selling more actual Halloween merchandise.

·
Registered
14,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm not so bothered they are closed on Sundays, kind of inconvenient for my purposes at times. I don't have a problem per se that the family is religious, everyone should be able to chose what they believe in. While I disagree with the company's lawsuit on medical benefits (IMO how you chose to use your medical benefits should be up to you and not your boss, better if people get a dollar amount and spend it as it makes sense to them), people who do go there for employment know who Hobby Lobby is so it's their choice not to work there as well. There are employers out there that are much worse to work for I am sure.

I don't do much shopping in craft stores but can tell you I am fed up with shopping in Michaels due to their massive customer data breach. Same goes for Target and Home Depot. Got notices from all three. I do shop in Joann's but alot of their stuff I feel is very expensive when you just need to run in for something and they do have a smaller inventory, at least in my area. I'm not willing to pay for shipping on a lot of stuff these days so if I want to add Hobby Lobby's religious beliefs to the list, I can pretty much forget buying any crafts locally.

·
Registered
972 Posts
We have a home goods, hobby lobby, michaels, super Joanne's all in the same area about 10-15 min away
Michaels starts putting out hallowe'en in late July , same with Joanne's , target waits for school to start then they put out hallowe'en
Hobby lobby does put our there inventory or fall items as soon as they come in, hobby lobby is more on the not so scary hallowe'en items
Home goods is more vintage and pricey
Michaels is mid price range
Joanne's can be very pricey also

·
Registered
363 Posts
hmmmm that get's me to thinking there will be one opening here sometime there currently working on the building, and I was looking forward too it
and hoping for some more hobby orientated stuff to work with

1 - 20 of 106 Posts