Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Wunderfully Wiccaned
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my parents house (where we decorate and have our party) has been hit with a wave of annoying letters from their HOA. I know in the rules Halloween can only be set up from Oct 1st-Nov 3rd, but this year is going to be bigger than EVER.

I think the neighbor up at the end of the block hates us, and keeps reporting us for things like "a barking dog". My mom filled out the paperwork saying "I had a chat with my dog, and she'll try to keep the barking to a minimum"... I'm serious. It is a small dog that only barks when someone is in what she deems "her backyard"... Anything she can see from their backyard. She doesn't bark all the time, but she is very protective of her yard. Then they got reported for "Dead palm tree leaves"... Seriously, my dad had just trimmed the palm tree, and a frond that he thought was ok, decided to die... He went back out there the next day and cut it down, but they still got a letter about it and a "correction" form, asking how the problem has been corrected. Finally, they got a 3rd letter stating that our Jet Ski had been parked in the driveway for an excessive period of time... Apparently excessive is 48 hours, and we were out riding it at the bay for 12 hours of that time! We had picked it up from storage the night before, and returned it the following afternoon... I really hate HOA's.

What are these people going to think when I set up a full graveyard, 5 ft tall countdown clock, lights, pillars, and music? Why do some people feel like they need to report every little thing.

They even got a letter about the grass dying. HELLO. We live in SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA where there is a lvl 2 drought happening, and the grass can only be watered from 6am-10am 3 days a week for no more than 10 minutes total. seriously. My mom's response to that letter? "If they want my grass green, then they can come and water it with their own water, I'm not getting fined by the city because they don't like the color of my grass." What do they expect?

Ok. I'm done ranting about HOA's. Back to work. =)

·
Mill Creek Haunted Hollow
6,359 Posts
That's insane!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm a member of my HOA and we're a really laid back bunch. It is extremely rare to have to send a notice out to anyone -- for anything! Our "regulations charter" is only about 20 pages long, so there's really not that much to inforce. Occasionally, we'll have to talk to someone about an abondoned vehicle, but that's it! (And when I say ABANDONDED, I mean it. We just met last week to discuss having a truck towed. It has been sitting on the side of the road for about 16 months, and has expired tabs.)

I joined our HOA last year because of my haunt. I didn't want people I didn't know telling me I couldn't do stuff in my own front yard. Turns out, everyone loves what I do each year and this year they're even advertising my yard haunt in the HOA flier! :D

·
Bête noire
2,631 Posts
My HOA sent out letters telling everyone to paint the gas pipes on their meters because there were some rusty spots showing. All of the gas meters are hidden behind bushes. I understand the problems with rusting gas pipes, but the letters said that the pipes looked "tacky"; no mention of any safety issues.

·
Wunderfully Wiccaned
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If I bought a house, I'd never buy one in my parents neighborhood. As nice as it is, it's not homeowner friendly at all. I'm pretty sure it's the lady who lives in the culdesac who reports them.... She told my dad not to park our RV in the cul-de-sac because she had company coming for the weekend and needed the space (mind you the RV was only going to be there overnight), and then NO ONE ever showed up to her house. She leaves notes on people's cars who park in the cul de sac asking them not to park there all the time. And she NEVER participates in halloween or Christmas. I really feel bad for her 2 kids. They aren't allowed out to play with the other kids in the neighborhood, and they aren't allowed to go TOTing.

I honestly feel like getting the gravestones and fencing out and setting it up now, except my mom said no... she's generally agreeable to any of my "crazy" ideas, but she said she wanted her yard mowed the weekend before Oct 1st.

·
Mill Creek Haunted Hollow
6,359 Posts
Mandy, the house next to me is for sale!! Nice little three bedroom, two bath starter that backs up to the park. I'd be happy to have a fellow haunter as a neighbor. And like I said, I'm on my HOA, and they (we) are great and very laid back.

Eastside Living: Featured Home

It's been on the market for two months now, after being purchased at aution for $181,000. Before that, it was vacant for a year!!!

They just moved in a whole bunch of furniture last weekend to "stage" the place.

·
kakos
7,217 Posts
My HOA sent out letters telling everyone to paint the gas pipes on their meters because there were some rusty spots showing. All of the gas meters are hidden behind bushes. I understand the problems with rusting gas pipes, but the letters said that the pipes looked "tacky"; no mention of any safety issues.
Technically the gas company should replace them then. They replaced my meter for free.

My HOA is pretty cool as well as my neighbors. The neighborhood ranges between young people in their first place to seniors who are empty-nesters and needed a smaller place to live. I've had loud people over late and it's never been an issue (maybe the walls are just really good). Last year I had things on my balcony and a neighbor complimented it. Sounds like the neighbor is an *** and the HOA is just doing their job. Have they talked to the HOA rep and explained things. I would talk to someone rather than just deal with them through the letters.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Hoo boy.
One of the reasons we moved where we did was that there wasn't a HOA. I have a business in the house (an art studio - no drive up traffic, no signs, nothing to even indicate it was here) and 2 other neighborhoods told me I couldn't do it. They wouldn't hear an explanation - their response was "If we let you set up a business, we'll have to allow everyone to do the same, and the next thing you know, there'll be dentists setting up shop in the neighborhood."
God bless America, land of the free, and the pursuit of happiness - unless your happiness happens to be setting up large outdoor Halloween displays!
Remember, its easier to ask forgiveness then ask permission! Good luck on your decorating!

·
Registered
576 Posts
Mandy, the house next to me is for sale!! Nice little three bedroom, two bath starter that backs up to the park. I'd be happy to have a fellow haunter as a neighbor. And like I said, I'm on my HOA, and they (we) are great and very laid back.

Eastside Living: Featured Home

It's been on the market for two months now, after being purchased at aution for $181,000. Before that, it was vacant for a year!!!

They just moved in a whole bunch of furniture last weekend to "stage" the place.
I hear people west of the Cascades don't tan, they rust. :)

I'm just saying...

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,282 Posts
As someone that lived next to a neighbor that had a constantly barking dog... gotta say that really really gets old. :rolleyes:

If I was your parents, I'd check with your neighbors to see if they get an unusual level of infraction letters. If so, then go to the homeowners' meetings and complain about the level of infractions that they keep receiving - nuisance complaints. Be calm, polite and explain that they want to understand. If any of them are justified, then you don't have a leg to stand on, but you can let them know that there seem to be an inordinate amount coming to your street because SOMEONE has too much time on their hands. (and when some of them can be ignored)

I had a friend that told me some management companies (the guys the HOA hire to police your neighborhood and send the letters) are paid BY THE LETTER. So someone like a busybody that LIKES complaining can just call them up and they are thrilled to get her complaints, since it means more money in their pocket. I'd ask if that is the case - or check with the management company if they are paid a flat fee or "by the infraction letter."

If your neighborhood allows large displays during Christmas, then they can't say anything about your Halloween display (as long as nothing is obviously offensive or gory). The time period they'll allow is not bad at least.

·
Registered
697 Posts
set it up.., then take it down when halloween is over . the hoa has to go through a legal process before any action or fines can be levied... just take it down asap after the holiday.. ps... HOA'S SUCK

·
"They won't stay dead."
1,366 Posts
If I bought a house, I'd never buy one in my parents neighborhood. As nice as it is, it's not homeowner friendly at all. I'm pretty sure it's the lady who lives in the culdesac who reports them.... She told my dad not to park our RV in the cul-de-sac because she had company coming for the weekend and needed the space (mind you the RV was only going to be there overnight), and then NO ONE ever showed up to her house. She leaves notes on people's cars who park in the cul de sac asking them not to park there all the time. And she NEVER participates in halloween or Christmas. I really feel bad for her 2 kids. They aren't allowed out to play with the other kids in the neighborhood, and they aren't allowed to go TOTing.

I honestly feel like getting the gravestones and fencing out and setting it up now, except my mom said no... she's generally agreeable to any of my "crazy" ideas, but she said she wanted her yard mowed the weekend before Oct 1st.

That is really sad. It just sounds like she is an unhappy person and since she feels crummy all the time she wants others to feel the same. I feel really bad for her kids too. I will echo an earlier comment, just try not to let it ruin your fun. Have a great Halloween and if you see her kids go up to them and hand them a chocolate bar, it may just make their day. :)

·
Registered
670 Posts
So my parents house (where we decorate and have our party) has been hit with a wave of annoying letters from their HOA. I know in the rules Halloween can only be set up from Oct 1st-Nov 3rd, but this year is going to be bigger than EVER.

I think the neighbor up at the end of the block hates us, and keeps reporting us for things like "a barking dog". My mom filled out the paperwork saying "I had a chat with my dog, and she'll try to keep the barking to a minimum"... I'm serious. It is a small dog that only barks when someone is in what she deems "her backyard"... Anything she can see from their backyard. She doesn't bark all the time, but she is very protective of her yard. Then they got reported for "Dead palm tree leaves"... Seriously, my dad had just trimmed the palm tree, and a frond that he thought was ok, decided to die... He went back out there the next day and cut it down, but they still got a letter about it and a "correction" form, asking how the problem has been corrected. Finally, they got a 3rd letter stating that our Jet Ski had been parked in the driveway for an excessive period of time... Apparently excessive is 48 hours, and we were out riding it at the bay for 12 hours of that time! We had picked it up from storage the night before, and returned it the following afternoon... I really hate HOA's.

What are these people going to think when I set up a full graveyard, 5 ft tall countdown clock, lights, pillars, and music? Why do some people feel like they need to report every little thing.

They even got a letter about the grass dying. HELLO. We live in SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA where there is a lvl 2 drought happening, and the grass can only be watered from 6am-10am 3 days a week for no more than 10 minutes total. seriously. My mom's response to that letter? "If they want my grass green, then they can come and water it with their own water, I'm not getting fined by the city because they don't like the color of my grass." What do they expect?

Ok. I'm done ranting about HOA's. Back to work. =)
I'm a member of my HOA too. I agree they can get carried away sometimes but for the most part ours are pretty easy going. I don't think Halloween lasts long enough to warrant a letter for anything. Everyone knows it's only going to be there for 30 days. Geez, where's the fun??!! Can't stop everyone from doing everything!

·
Registered
293 Posts
This is exactly why I will never live in an HOA. I don't want the busy body down the street to get any where near my business!

I am sure there will be the busy body down the street, but I would rather get a letter from the Code Enforcement officer of the city, than "Her Opinionated Ass". (HOA) LOL

·
Registered
585 Posts
Sounds like your venomous neighbor doesn't have enough control of the things in her life so she is trying to control things outside of her life. She also tries to exert her control by being passive agressive by inciting the HOA to carry out her work. You could try the harder route and invite her to participate and give her some part in your event. You would have to be stronger than me to do that; you know, get closer to your enemy.
You could also join your own HOA and then have an influence on the process. Or, at least attend meetings and other functions. Volunteer to take a small role in your HOA, like secretary. Gets your foot in the door and might provide you the relief you seek.
Long story short, your neighbor is a witch, it is forcing you to deal with her offal, you should find a method that gives you the best satisfaction.
Let us know how you fare.
Good luck!

·
Psychomaniac
623 Posts
Ha! I just knew you were in San Diego when I started reading your post. There are some real crazy associations around here. Mine is on a quiet warpath right now but still not too bad. I have my travel trailer here all the time and they're not bothering me. It doesn't hurt that my neighbors don't mind and it's at the end of my 100' driveway but they've complained about little things on my property before. No hassles for Halloween though. My haunted house should even be going in the newsletter (that I'm sure no one reads) at the end of the month.

Keep the faith!

·
...is up to no good
1,295 Posts
There was a recent episode of Penn & Teller's show on Showtime that dealt with lawns and home owners associations. It was flippin' hysterical.

I'd try to stay within the rules otherwise you're the bad guy...not the one being persecuted.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I hate HOA's and I will never live in one. My neighborhood is our own little neighbor hood. We have roughly 10-12 streets, and only 2 places to get in and out. It is not the nicest neighborhood, but it isn't the worst. It seriously is the higher middle class, republican neighborhood. My next door neighbor (that decorates too) would drive by this neighborhood and wishes she could live in it. Everyone is friendly and we all keep up the neighbor hood together but no HOA. We will eventually get people to come by and ask for like 5 or 10 dollars to plant flowers at the entrances or to replace a tree that got blown down by a storm. We have a lady like yours that lives on the corner of my street. Everytime I start setting up, she comes over to make sure nothing is too gorry or obscene. She threatened to call the fire marshall on me for my colums that I made that has a 1 foot flame coming out of the top of them. I just told her, Maam, I am part of the fire department. Go ahead. She never did. But atleast I don't get letters. And about your neighbor, you should make a tombstone with her name on it. hahaha

·
Reaper
3,611 Posts
What bitchy neighbors. They really don't have anything better to do than complain about the grass turning brown? I do understand the dog part though, we have neighbors who moved out here from the city and they tie their dog up outside and leave it to bark for hours, but it doesn't sound like your parents are like that. But we called them directly and asked them to take the dog in. I could never live in an HOA area. Anyways, sorry to hear about all that crap!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts