Halloween Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone live in an historic district and decorate? How well is it received?

They just passed our historic district last night, there was a lot of people opposed to it, us included. A few in our neighborhood are going to get on their high horses now and a witch hunt it will be. We live in a small southern conservative town .. very static in their outlook on things.

I have a feeling next year they will fight me tooth and nail on decorating for Halloween or really anything out of the 'norm'. :rolleyes: We have five more years until my youngest is out of school, then we will be selling. I have a feeling it will be a long five years. :p

·
Wisp in the Mist
1,953 Posts
I live just two houses outside of the historic district here. I see one house in the middle of it, that has its porch decorated. They have the thick store-bought webbing, caution tape, a dummy in a chair. I imagine you would probably do more than that, since most here do. I'm not sure what their rules are, or how it would vary from district to district.

A lot of the other homes on the street(s--there is one main street and a few side streets) decorate, but lightly. They have pumpkins, some carved, some not...and decorative things like Martha Stewart style wreaths, etc.

·
Registered
22 Posts
We live in a historic district in Virginia. We put up a cemetery fence and all sorts of stuff. No one bothers us. There is a house on a neighboring street that goes all out as well. Depends on the neighbors I guess. Its temporary so I don't see why they would bother you.

Tons of folks tell us they love the decorations during the Halloween season so hope that helps.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies, I'm glad to hear positive stuff. I'm hoping my decorations it will go over well here, I've always had positive feedback from people. Most of the people on my block are fine .. as you go up the street, well .. not so much so. :rolleyes: So I guess I'll just have to wait and see next year.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Due to the temporary nature of it, the historic district part shouldn't be much if a problem. Set it up, hope for the best!!!! Also.... If you set it up close to the date, there isn't much time for the " humm-buggers" to get the ball rolling on shutting it down!

·
Registered
101 Posts
I live in an historic neighborhood in Illinois. The regulations pertain to permanent things, not decorations, so I have never had an issue. I love lving in a designated neighborhood as it promotes keeping up the buildings and also keeps the historic (old timey) feel of the neighborhood intact.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I love lving in a designated neighborhood as it promotes keeping up the buildings and also keeps the historic (old timey) feel of the neighborhood intact.
Maxiboots, I love my house , it was built in 1910, we've put a lot of work into it. If it was in a different town, I would be all for an historic district. With out going into a lot of drawn out detail on the towns past track record. The historic district here is going to do more harm than good, pitting neighbors against each other, lowering property values since included in this district are run down rentals that will now not be kept up even minimally. They can not make them do anything until they are basically condemned .. so the the houses will fall into even more disrepair and become tax write offs. The town is not fixing large existing issues and eye sores, that should have been tackled first. They are over reaching, just a few of the houses should really be included, most have had some permanent not historical façade change. We work in the building industry and understand the ins and outs of this .. the historic district here is for the town to garner funding, not the houses or the owners.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Sorry to hear about your situation. We also have a 1910 home that we love. We have had some help from our town which included some grants and no interest loans for improvement. Sounds like your town has a different agenda.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Skeltoncrew, I think I live near you. I am near Salisbury and I heard there was a new historic district passed last night across the river.
Small world, yes we are across the river from you. :D Where you are it works, but Sailsbury has a lot more going for it as you know. They need to fix this town's economy before they worry about an historic district. Also their track record is awful on what they've already done on the other side of town .. improvements, ummm ... no. We'd all like to know where that funding went, not into the area that is for sure! It's just as bad as it was before. Granted they are in a better section over here with home owners that care .. but still .. the rentals are going to become bad! Five more years .. all my girls will have graduated and then we are gone.

·
Registered
8 Posts
We live in a Historic District (1900's) and everyone decorates and no one balks. People drive in from all over the city. Estimates of tot are btwn 2000 - 3000. We always run out of candy too.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,454 Posts
I know in our town's historic district it just means you can't structurally alter the outside in any way without approval from the town & their historic commission. Some of those houses decorate & it's never been a problem.

F

·
0 Posts
Skeltoncrew, I think I live near you. I am near Salisbury and I heard there was a new historic district passed last night across the river.
Small world, yes we are across the river from you. :D Where you are it works, but Sailsbury has a lot more going for it as you know. They need to fix this town's economy before they worry about an historic district. Also their track record is awful on what they've already done on the other side of town .. improvements, ummm ... no. We'd all like to know where that funding went, not into the area that is for sure! It's just as bad as it was before. Granted they are in a better section over here with home owners that care .. but still .. the rentals are going to become bad! Five more years .. all my girls will have graduated and then we are gone.
I saw Salisbury and had to check to see if you were in NC. I am in NC too! Im out of town district though so im not sure what the rules are like in my town.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts