Halloween Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a little advice. I want to build a lighting simulator using a color organ and two 500 watt halogen lamps similar to how the PicoStorm at FrightProps.com works, but most of the plans I have seen for color organs only support up 200 watts per channel.
I'm no electronic genius, but I can usually muddle my way through a wiring diagram. Anyone know where I can find a kit or plans for a color organ this intense? I realize this thing will be pulling right at 1000 watts with two channels and 9 Amps.

·
Registered
487 Posts
This might help... You may have to buy two of these kits or just copy the circuit. It also Looks like you will have to buy a beefer triac. There is also an add on to the kit that gives it the line level input.

HauntedIllinois.com - Props: Lightning Simulator

plans
http://electronics123.net/amazon/datasheet/k12.pdf

By the way thanks for sharing...this could be a great way to get bright lightning on the cheap. Last Year I used a 750watt DMX strobe, but it cost $40 to replace the bulb and I had to take it in every night!!!

·
Bête noire
2,631 Posts
The bigger triac is a must for higher wattage but watch out for the potentiometers, too. I built a similar circuit, used a 6A triac and fried the pots. I'll stick with the cheap and reliable Lightning FX boxes. I can get 1000W of lightning out of two boxes.

·
Registered
487 Posts
The bigger triac is a must for higher wattage but watch out for the potentiometers, too. I built a similar circuit, used a 6A triac and fried the pots. I'll stick with the cheap and reliable Lightning FX boxes. I can get 1000W of lightning out of two boxes.
I really can't see a problem with the pots, since the pots are on the low voltage side of the opto isolator...these pots are maybe passing 20ma at best.

·
Bête noire
2,631 Posts
I really can't see a problem with the pots, since the pots are on the low voltage side of the opto isolator...these pots are maybe passing 20ma at best.
Yeah, I was surprised as well, but as I turned up the sensitivity the pot would start sparking. The kit I used did have an opto isolator, and the how-to detailed installing the 6A triac. I also found that I had to drive the heck out of the board to get a reasonable response from the lights. Occasionally the Sony 100W amp I was using would go into "protection" mode. Weird behavior - I gave it up and got the Special FX boxes.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Yeah, I was surprised as well, but as I turned up the sensitivity the pot would start sparking. The kit I used did have an opto isolator, and the how-to detailed installing the 6A triac. I also found that I had to drive the heck out of the board to get a reasonable response from the lights. Occasionally the Sony 100W amp I was using would go into "protection" mode. Weird behavior - I gave it up and got the Special FX boxes.
Wow that's kinda weird...I have built a single channel version of this kit and it works fine for the last 3 years. I have found this circuit works better with the amplified front end (line in) circuit. In fact you could most likely use this same line in circuit for the Talking Boris etc... Otherwise as you have already found out you would need to crank up the volume to get any kind reaction out of the circuit.

Could it be maybe a grounding issue, or that the triac needs to be insolated in its heat sink?? I know the Radio Shack triac mentioned above requires an insulator...by the way the 276-1000 is discontinued. I wiil look for its equiv and post it here

Otaku, Just curious if you open the FX box does it employ a simular circuit as the one above? opto islolator with a Triac?

·
You Rang?
1,079 Posts
Here is a good source of color organ info and vendors Commercial Color Organs

I would recommend adding some nice sized heat sinks to the triac's especially if you go with a larger ones. maybe even a fan

I built a couple of these and used one for my organ pipe lights and the other for some singing pumpkins. They worked real well, but then again I didn't even come close to their rated capacity. Its 250 watts per channel but there's 4 channels so 1000 Watts total. Power Blaster Color Organ Kit

1 - 9 of 9 Posts