Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
1031 Props
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this year i bought a Bucky torso and i am going to make him into a groundbreaker. The only problem i have run into though so far though is that i don't want everyone to see the hanging hardware on top of his head. On my last group of Buckies i did not care because they were all above eye leve but this one will be below i level. What do you suggest?

Here is a drawing of what i am going to make.

Any and all help is always appreciated!

Thanks a lot,

Nick

·
Grave Rigger
982 Posts
Well the hardware just unscrews and you can putty or caulk the hole, but I assume you want to know how to hold it up with out the hardware? Just use some re bar up the spine secured with zip ties or wire. It will pound into the ground easily, and make a nice secure mount.

·
1031 Props
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know that the hardware unscrews but i don't want to unscrew it because last time i did that the entire body expanded upward making it almost impossible to put the hanging hardware back on. I just want to take that giant know off the top of his head. I was thinking about finding a skinny nut to replace the hanging harwareand then grinding off the rest of the bar that is sticking up.

·
Grave Rigger
982 Posts

·
Scared Silly
1,931 Posts
I was thinking about finding a skinny nut to replace the hanging harwareand then grinding off the rest of the bar that is sticking up.
That's what I would do. By your drawing, it looks like you'd even be able to hide the nut with some hair. The only problem I foresee in this is the nut eventually loosening and being hard to put back on with so little bolt remaining. Perhaps some teflon tape around the bolt would be enough to keep the nut secure. Then again, this may not be a problem-- it's a static prop, after all.
Awesome drawing, by the way.

·
Join my Doomsday cult!
963 Posts
You can use a lock-nut (the skinny nut mentioned) and after it's tightened use a cut-off wheel to remove the extra threaded rod. Teflon tape will make it easier to remove the nut, not harder. After cutting off the extra threaded rod use a prick punch and hammer to deform the nut and rod at the point where they contact each other. (the remaining face of the cut off rod.) Dimple the material in three or so points, and the nut wont back off without some effort.

Or...
You can remove the skull, cut the rod down about three inches, and use a die to cut new threads down to the point where the skull attaches. Then use a large (fender) washer and nut to hold the bottom of the skull in place, and epoxy the top section back on.

Or...
Remove the top of the skull, goober up the threaded rod with epoxy so the skull wont come off. Cut excess rod off and reattach the top. The skull will not turn using this method.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I know that the hardware unscrews but i don't want to unscrew it because last time i did that the entire body expanded upward making it almost impossible to put the hanging hardware back on. I just want to take that giant know off the top of his head. I was thinking about finding a skinny nut to replace the hanging harwareand then grinding off the rest of the bar that is sticking up.
Thats happens to me a lot. Just put the hanging nut back on with out the skull and hang it up. Unscrew the big nut on the bottom of the bucky and pull down hard on the neck then put the skull back on. I been working on some ideas on for the hardware problem myself. When I get the bugs worked out I will post it.

·
1031 Props
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After working on this prop this weekend i started thinking about the different ideas mentioned here. Really like the idea of cutting off the top part of the rod and just securing the bottom part of the skull. Only problem is that i have to hang my bucks in order to corpse it. So i think i will first corpse it and then once dry i will either grind the rod down so its fluch with the skull or use a thin nut to secure it.

·
Undead Handyman
557 Posts
I've never had good results taking the original hanging nut off. Bucky is always a little too loose afterwards. I paint the original nut black and hide it in his hair or headwound or whatever...you really won't see it at night and still have the option to hang him later.

·
Registered
591 Posts
You could always make the hardware look like it is something that was impaled into it's head.

·
Registered
916 Posts
What about using a propell nut on the top of the skull. You would need to compress the spine a little to get the nut in place but it should work and leave a pretty flat top!

·
1031 Props
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This is an awesome idea but the way i am bending my bucky for the ground breaking pose that i am putting him in, I don't think i can pull the rod down far enough to do this.

·
1031 Props
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I also thought about using a tore up top hat but i think i like my orginal drawing idea better. In all honesty the more i am sitting here talking about this i really only need the hanging hardware to hang this guy one time to corpse him. After that i will be storing him in a box (i don't have the room to hang my buckys year round). So i am thinking that i should just leave the hardware on there till i finish corpsing and then cut it off. Also i can still incorporate the thin nut and to hold it in place i can just line the threads with some loc-tite and i'll be set.

·
Registered
916 Posts
You really dont need to pull the bar down. You will need to secure the spine/head so when you remove the original hardware the Bucky does not expand. After removing the stock bolt, replace it with the propell nut. The trick will be making sure to hole in the top of the skull is big enough to accept the shaft of the propel nut. Once you tighten it down, you can cut off the excess on the rod.

·
1031 Props
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You really dont need to pull the bar down. You will need to secure the spine/head so when you remove the original hardware the Bucky does not expand. After removing the stock bolt, replace it with the propell nut. The trick will be making sure to hole in the top of the skull is big enough to accept the shaft of the propel nut. Once you tighten it down, you can cut off the excess on the rod.
Oh i can widen the hole with either a dremel or a heat gun. As a matter of fact i had to widen it already because i couldn't get the top of my buck off to remove the screws that hold the top of the skull on.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I don’t know if this would be possible but you may want to take a look. Look just below the base of the skull and see if you could drill a hole thru the assembly rod.

If you can than I would think that you could pass a cotter pin thru the rod and it would hold the body together, you could then unscrew the hanging hardware and replace it with something else.

·
1031 Props
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thats not a bad idea either.

·
1031 Props
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I don't like the look of wigs. I am actually going to use real grey human hair and scatter it along the the side of my buckys head.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Use the propell nut and then go ahead and let the spine expand. It only needs to expand about 3/4" and the excess rod will disappear. No cutting needed and it still looks perfectly normal, and is completely functional.

A little paint on the nut and it can't readily be seen from a few feet away.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts