Halloween Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure it's been covered somewhere on here, but i cant find it. I want to do a projection scene in the yard, projector behind the fabric, but i can't figure a way to hide the bright 'spot'. I have done window projections and singing pumpkins and hiding the projector was not a issue. Check out this link to see what im referring to https://vimeo.com/110619796

·
Registered
668 Posts
With the example at the 49 second mark, it is on a transparent material. Probably something like window screen. Only method I can think of to hide the source light is to set the projector off to the left or right of the viewing angle. You would need to adjust the keystone,and/or have lens shift ability on the projector. Another way would be to use mapping techniques (with the projector left or right or in an upper window) to square the image off. You would still see the light source, just not staring directly into it.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ahh...theres no way around it, even offset behind something one would see the light at a certain time, walking by the display

·
Registered
668 Posts
The main thing with that example is it goes all the way to the ground. When a rear projection is done in a window, you have the lower wall tohide the source light. There may be a way to hide it, I just can't think of a way to do it like the example, and not see the source at some point. Best I can come up with is hope they don't investigate after walking past the showing image.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I have been wrestling with this idea as well . I use a projector to alter the look of my house but really want ghosts in the cemetery.
I would love to see any video of your attempts!

My two options seem to be:
1) Front project onto the screen..
2) Back project and wrestle with the light source spot..
Either way, I think what is important is to get the scrim and projection up off the ground.
To IcePick's point, This will allow you angle the projector upwards and use a tombstone or prop to block the light source.
I am going to build a monument of sorts..possibly 2 pillars on either side (that can also hold the scrim screen in place) and a square platform/tombstone in between.
this way if I project from behind, the hotspot is hidden and the rest of the image is projected through the screen and above everybody's head..or
If I project from the front, I can also angle up , through the screen and over the house.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Seeing the projector's source light is primarily caused by opaqueness of the window screen material. Too thin and you can see it glow. It needs to be thicker so only the projected images show but not thin enough for the light source itself. Look at the rear projection tv's of the past 5yrs, whether they were LCD on the big box 3 gun variety. They are all reflected off a mirror onto a thick projection screen from the rear.

When I started the workup on trying to find a good and cheap rear projection screen, a fellow rp user led me to try white shower curtain material. I had tried frosted before and it gave me a hotspot- what you refer to as source light. But white did not, and I have been advocating that ever since.

Even if you lower or raise the projector to aim from an angle the fact is people will be close enough to your house to see the hotspot unless you treat it properly.

I also tried white plastic tablecloth, but that too was a little too thin and hotspotted.

Read my thread. Start at Page 2

http://backyardtheater.com/forums/index.php?topic=222.15

Victor

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Seeing the projector's source light is primarily caused by opaqueness of the window screen material. Too thin and you can see it glow. It needs to be thicker so only the projected images show but not thin enough for the light source itself. Look at the rear projection tv's of the past 5yrs, whether they were LCD on the big box 3 gun variety. They are all reflected off a mirror onto a thick projection screen from the rear.

When I started the workup on trying to find a good and cheap rear projection screen, a fellow rp user led me to try white shower curtain material. I had tried frosted before and it gave me a hotspot- what you refer to as source light. But white did not, and I have been advocating that ever since.

Even if you lower or raise the projector to aim from an angle the fact is people will be close enough to your house to see the hotspot unless you treat it properly.

I also tried white plastic tablecloth, but that too was a little too thin and hotspotted.

Read my thread. Start at Page 2

http://backyardtheater.com/forums/index.php?topic=222.15

Victor
Thanks for the info, unfortunately a white screen would not work with the effect i was after, Slept on it last night, going to build a facade in my garage and rear project , see 105 in the video

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've found that the best way to cover the bright spot produced by a projector is to add more lighting outside of the projector area.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts