Halloween Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm looking to recreate the portrait props that are found within Disney's Haunted Mansion. I own an oversized plotter that prints up to 5 ft. wide, and I would be printing either on opaque substrate or backlit material (for you techies out there).

My hopes would be to find the various Changing Portraits, including "Master Gracey"

the Four Stretching Portraits

and the "Family Portraits" that appear in the Gallery of Doors:

I've been looking around and buying books trying to find high-resolution imagery of the portraits, but most everything is just not usable. Ideally, a book should have page-sized images with magazine-quality printing (that is, the dots of the halftone or screens are so fine you can't see the dots), or else high resolution scans of the pictures that are meant for oversized printing (300 dpi - the bigger the image size the better).

I know this is probably a bunch of techno mumbo jumbo to many of you, so I'll be happy to look at any leads if you're not sure of the specifics. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks bradbaum, but if you're talking about the pictures on the actual Doombuggies website, they are way too small to be printed actual size without pixelation. I may, however, ask the Chef if he has a source or ideas on where they can be found.

Here's a simulation of what happens when you print website pictures:

Mind you, this is different from photo sharing websites like Flickr and Picasa that use a preview for what you see on the website, and then allow you to download the large size separately.

markgoodson: I will remember to let you know if I find anything better, if you would please do the same for me. Nice work on the videos. I have been working on some similar projects that may interest you —

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yabsddfZnJg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TftIIrFenbw

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Clad In Shadows: Thanks for the thought.

I own Genuine Fractals and it is great. However, the algorithms within the program can't recreate what is not there in terms of detail — which is the case for most webpage imagery. In those cases, it starts making "estimations," which ends up with smudged-like details.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I had the same problem.... I am an artist and was trying to paint all of the Disneyland's Haunted Mansion Portraits. I think I have looked at every website, blog you name it... The problem is that there is not really any one good photos out there of the HM... I have been lucky and caught a few auctions who were selling the older portraits Those are in pretty good quality... I had ended up taking many of the photos posted on blogs... a lot from daveland's Blog spot and with 6 to 8 photos I have been able to get quite a bit of detail to paint them... The most difficult I am working on now. It is Quicksand Stretch Portrait, Its become quite a challenge with the 3 faces. I am trying to get them as close as I can to perfection but since there are not any true images I have to wing some of it...

I had little trouble with Tightrope Bell.... I found a brilliant photo of her, older just had to change the sleeves since they are now pink, Also, Dear beloved George. I found some great shots of that one... My painting of Dynamite was pretty difficult, had to redo 3 times till I was happy with it... Master Gracey I found good photos of that Just the true coloring is always hard to duplicate without seeing the real thing. I have posted the paintings I have done so far... Note... Tightrope Bell and Dear Beloved Bell I am redoing... They turned out brilliant but I have designed a room to display all of my HM art I painted these before it was official. I now am starting from scratch and painting them thinner... Enjoy:D

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
This may be a bit obvious, but you can buy the prints of the stretching portraits at the park, which could then be scanned at high resolution and reproduced at whatever size you need (within reason).

·
Wild Fandango
1,494 Posts
This may be a bit obvious, but you can buy the prints of the stretching portraits at the park, which could then be scanned at high resolution and reproduced at whatever size you need (within reason).
I had heard they discontinued the sales years ago, but maybe they started again? I had also heard that someone had already done this, but I've never actually looked for it.

I always thought it was strange that they actually stretch the canvas and need to re-do them constantly. I had figured the room simply dropped to expose more of the portraits, it never made sense that the portraits were actually being stretched during the process, though I guess it could be for some kind of perspective effect.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Yeah, if you go into the first shop on main street (to the right of the entrance) they have a kiosk that you can place an order on for all of the stretching portraits. They brought it back last year, I believe.

·
Registered
52 Posts
True, but I have seen the printings from Disney. They leave an awful lot of white space around the image so you are paying for a ton of blank paper.

·
Registered
154 Posts
The posters are still for sale at Disneyland. They are not updated though.. The prints that are for sale are still from the last change, which Tightrope Bell has purple sleeves instead of the pink. The posters are also not true to the all over coloring. I have used photos that people have taken inside HM in order to paint the portraits as true to the colors as what as seen on the ride. Of course, if your a HM fan and want to own a peace of HM for your house, Disneyland, is the only place to do your collecting.. I have searched far and wide to find a good solid depiction of the portraits of HM and all of them are extremely in poor quality. As I said in my earlier post, I have had to use multiple photos in order to gleam the detail of the HM paintings especially when it comes down to the faces.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts