Halloween Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I am a grandad who in 2015 was shown the world of yard haunts (on You Tube) by my granddaughter.
I was blown away with what I saw and my granddaughter asked me if I could make a display.
Well I had never owned a screwdriver or any tools as I am disabled and I had absolutely no idea where to start or how to power them.
But then everything can be seen on You Tube so I had less than a month to make my first little display of one kicking hangman (which kept jamming every 30 minutes) a kicking/grabbing man which lasted 3hours before the wooden linkage splintered and 2 extremely successful tombstone poppers which were so good that someone decided to visit me whilst I slept and take them both home with them.
On a plus note the display was very warmly greeted by the hundreds of people who had just seen such a display for the first time in their life (as it really isn't done very much over here).
There were 4 seperate car prangs from people looking whilst driving by and one ambulance made an emergency call to my house after receiving a call regarding the kicking hangman.
(I should still have that recording somewhere).
The next two years I upped my game and my hangman was redone and solid without any problems and I constructed new props both years as I didn't want to do the same thing twice.
Then bad health stopped me from being able to make any props for 2018 & 2019 and I retired from the scene and gave all my props etc away.
The first year I didn't do a display I was inundated with people who were disappointed but they understood.
Then this year (my second year) I have been plagued with people wanting to know what the theme is and I have had to tell them all again that there is no display.
Their disappointment is crippling me more than my actual health issues so I have decided to do one for next year and whilst I have my theme and my pick of 10 animated props I need to get back into the "how to" side of things and find somebody able who is willing to do any soldering and wiring for me.
Also every year I had a display I was visited by the police who would request I take my display down as it was a danger to traffic as I lived on a very busy street (the cars drive on the "roads" in the uk) and the distraction was dangerous.
And they even tried to hit me with hate crimes for my priest who one year was a kicking hangman and another year the priest was being dangled by his legs as a different prop.
So my displays are tiny compared to the average display in America as my plot of land is probably only one tenth the size of the average American front yard (front garden over here).
Thank you all for your time and I wish you all well for your displays for 2019.
Cheers

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hello and thank you for the warm welcome.
I have a lot of questions but I don't want to embarrass myself by asking anything obvious.
So I will trawl the forum for the subjects that I am struggling with and hopefully find tips and advice before having to ask.
And I certainly don't want to bother anybody at this time as I am sure they are busy finalising their haunts etc.
But your post is much appreciated.
Many thanks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts