Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI everyone
just a quick post to introduce myself.

i am from yorkshire in england. we have been creating a halloween friendly house for about 5 years now, using the typical plasticy props etc that you get from and card shop (e.g. happy halloween signs, spiders webs and flashing pumpkins).

obviously in the uk halloween is not that big a deal, and everyone used to say that our house was the best they had seen (although we didn't have much competition).

we moved house 2 years ago and have limited success (not as many visitors) using the same decorations with just a couple new ones each year. i would rate it as "making an effort, without been too offensive, and generally ok - but could be a lot better".

as stated above we didn't have any competition until last year......when the house up the road (about 200yds) you know the one that has to out do all others with its christmas lights etc, decided to get into the halloween scene....

well we are not going to take this lying in our coffin, and we have decided to blow them out of the water......

i am currently building several props, some animated, some static, we are buying a fog machine, making a haunted tunnel, a graveyard etc....

lets hope it rocks!!

·
jester girl
18,185 Posts
seems like we have had a few newbies from the uk lately. so you uk halloween die hards are out there, the uk stores just needs to figure it out. sounds like it is fun trying to outdo the house down the street. home improvements and chevy chase shows were always a riot as they try to outdo each other. lol well, you will have a step up belonging here, unless the house down the street does as well. we will supply you with all kinds of creepy, scarry, run for your life material. do you have pictures of your haunt so far? pictures of their haunt. that would be fun to compare. need a poll here on which did better? lol welcome aboard

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Yorkshire huh? I'm not far; in Lancashire :D
Welcome to the site, there's a growing number of us UK folk here!

Great to hear your in competition with another house - you show them who's boss!

·
Lord of the Cemetery
2,081 Posts
Greetings dazgill.
Welcome from Wiltshire.:)
As Freudstein said, we seem to have had quite a few new UK members of late. Let's hope it continues and soon we will be able to hold get togethers somewhere other than in a phone box...:D
As for the competition up the road, well a little competition is a healthy thing.
It inspires and encourages. There are many helpful, talented people on this site, All more than willing to provide all the help, advice and inspiration you could ever need to improve your haunt and blow that competition away.

Enjoy the forum.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Greetings and welcome Dazgill - I am also from the UK and have had a pretty interesting time trying to recruit my friends and family into the Halloween scene for the last 9 years or so! I feel your pain. I think it's good to have a little friendly competition, mainly because they'll be eating your goulish dust as you break out your haunting skillz on them and make their Hallmark Halloween banners droop in shame! Mwa ha ha ha!!!!! Lol sorry, I don't have any competition really. My biggest challenge is keeping my budget under control :eek:

·
Registered
240 Posts
Hi and Welcome!

You're gonna love it in here! Everyone is Fab! Like you I am in the UK too! Our ranks are getting stronger every year!

What we lack in numbers we sure make up for in enthusiasm ( is that spelt right?), never mind!

Enjoy...and look forward to chatting again!

BW

:)

·
livin Halloween every day
1,989 Posts
Hello dazgill, glad you joined us. I have been to England twice and i loved it there, beautiful country, and hope to go back one day. Anyway hope you have a great time here with us, and i am sure that you will.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thank you everyone for your kind words of welcome and encouragement.

as magickbean says i am also having trouble keeping the budget under control, but i am working on it.........

Hi to everyone form the uk, maybe one day halloween will be a big deal over here too.

as a quick update - i am off on holiday at the end of this week (great yarmouth) , and i have a shoppping list of halloween related stuff to get. i think it should be good place to get masks etc as there are plenty of "fancy dress shops".

as for this forum - i have spent a couple of hours looking through what is on here and there is that much that i can't make my mind up!

i will post further details of how things are going, although i probably don't have any experience to "help" others at the moment, but if i can, i will

·
Lord of the Cemetery
2,081 Posts
thank you everyone for your kind words of welcome and encouragement.

as magickbean says i am also having trouble keeping the budget under control, but i am working on it.........

Hi to everyone form the uk, maybe one day halloween will be a big deal over here too.
Hey dazgill..
As for the budget, you will find many great tips here on the forum for making great looking props for next to nothing. Many of the members here are expert "scavengers" and can find a use for almost anything.
There is such a lot of great info here, it can become confusing at times, but as well as great info there are great members too..just holla and they'll be queuing up to help.

Maybe one day Halloween will be a big deal over here...All we have to do is convince the corporates that there is money to be made out of it..:rolleyes:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Welcome, good to see someone from 'down the road' :)
Making your own props is great, i do make a lot of stuff myself, just need to do more animated stuff, the uk is slowly waking up to the Halloween market, though i still get emails from people wanting the world in props for the price of a bag of fish and chips!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts