Halloween Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi haunters,

Firstly I will say a huge THANK YOU to all members of this forum. I've spent the last couple of weeks reading through various threads, topics, tutorials and images. WOW! so many creative and talented people.

My name is Damian (fairly appropriate) and I'm in the UK which makes finding things mentioned in posts quite an interesting challenge not to mention extremely frustrating when the items required are not available in the UK (an example of such an item would be the cardboard concrete pour tubes. Available very cheaply in your Home Depot store yet unheard of here in the UK.)

My interest in Halloween and all things spooky lies in theatrical applications. I run a small touring theatre production company with successful Christmas / Festive shows and a full of fun and laughter summer show.
Now I'm turning to the spooky and creepy kind of show that I've always dreamed of putting on. I will just point out that all my shows MUST be family friendly. However the spooky show will have a minimum age for entry.

I've already learnt quite a lot from reading a few topics and posts, but I have barely scratched the surface of the knowledge available within these dark catacombs.

As mentioned earlier, I'm just starting to put together my Halloween show for 2015. This will tour to smaller theatres and suitable community venues throughout 2016.
To this end I've joined this forum in the hope of not only learning from you but sharing what I have learnt and how I've adapted what I've learnt to suit my style and needs.
Please be patient with me as I also have to get to grips with learning how to blog as well.

For the moment I have a couple of questions;

1 - Is there part of the forum where I would be able to start a 'production diary' and keep it updated. Updates will be sporadic while I'm researching different aspects of set / prop design & building, so again, please be patient.
2 - Could anyone point me in the right direction to threads / posts that deal with painting a castle wall on fabric - but large scale : 9 metres wide x 6 metres high.

If you got this far, thank you. And if you'd like any more info about me, feel free to send a pm. Responses may not be instant due to me working away sometimes, but you will get one :)

Regards to all - Damian

·
Registered
20,824 Posts

1 - You could start a blog here and do a sort of diary that way, if you so choose. Otherwise, 'Halloween Props' or 'Halloween Crafts' sections would likely be best.
2 - The search function (upper right) will quickly come to be your new best friend;)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey there your Halloween show sounds awesome. I found a post that might help with painting your castle walls but was unsure if I could post it here. What is Halloween like in the UK? Is it as much celebrated as in the US?

·
Lord of the Cemetery
2,081 Posts
Greetings Damian, from the Samedi Manor haunt in misty olde Wiltshire.
One thing I've learnt from my time here is that a lot of the prop making supplies that our friends across the pond refer to in their posts are available here in the UK, maybe in a slightly different form or under a different trade name. A little research can often produce a readily available alternative product. For instance, the concrete pour tubes you refer to in your post. Have you thought of checking out your local carpet warehouse? they often have large or very large cardboard tubes that the carpets are rolled on which they are usually happy to let you have gratis. These can be easily cut to size.
Your travelling haunt show sounds awesome. Please be sure to let me know if you're ever down in the West Country.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi all and thank you for all your welcome messages :)
Garthgoyle - I'm currently writing a Diary with pics about the whole 'Putting together a Halloween Show' which I'll edit to keep out all my ramblings. Once I have a decent posts I'll be happy to post them in a blog :)

Halloween On A Budget, Please feel free to PM me with the link to the thread you mention. Halloween isn't as popular here in the UK as it is in the U.S. which is a huge shame. Our shops are only now getting their Halloween stock in :-( There are a few decent spooky scary shows around the UK being one of the best.

Hi Baron Samedi, I've done quite a bit of 'looking about' both online and trawling through all the local stores. Quite a few of my local carpet stores will indeed give me their old carpet tubes, which I've used for various shows in the past. Mostly the tubes are quite small in diameter. Although I've managed to collar some plastic pipe form the builders putting in a new water main down our street :)
I've been to a few theatres in the west country with various shows. I love the Athenaeum theatre in Warminster and the Exchange in Sturminster Newton. I will be promoting the show like mad when I have some dates and venues in place lol.

Thanks once again for all your welcomes :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts