Halloween Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a bit of a long time lurker but this year I finally decided to stick myself in helter skelter and see what happens.

Obviously down here in the good old land of Oz, most people aren't really big on Halloween. In fact, in most cases when I mention it they sneer "That's an American holiday" to which I spend the next half hour at least explaining the origins of the celebration. Their eyes glaze over. I wax lyrical. It's truly magical :rolleyes:.

Anyway, this year is my first year of deciding to have a haunt! But as in Australia it's not really a big thing yet, instead I'm going to turn our house to a haunted house inside. I've decided to go with a Victorian gothic sort of theme and have already starting buying up on dismembered dolls heads and taxidermy butterflies.
I'm always on the hunt for inspired ideas as I'm not that creative myself and mostly plagiarize other people's ideas with shameless abandon, so if you feel you know an amazing cheap-ish Victorian decoration idea please let me know and I'll be all over it :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Why Australia doesn't celebrate Halloween to the same degree as the US

Welcome!

Your comment about Australia provoked me into a bit of research.

From a Washington Post article:
Why is it that the United States and so many other countries celebrate the holiday, but Australia does not? The answer is kind of fascinating: It turns out to be a weird historical quirk of British colonialism and of Britain's brief but world-changing experiment with severe social conservatism in the 19th century. Those two British forces, it turns out, have actually shaped much of the world's Halloween customs today.
The irony is that, while the British were responsible for spreading Halloween, they also spent several decades trying to stamp it out. In the latter half of the 19th century, Great Britain experimented with a form of social conservatism known as Victorianism, after then-monarch Queen Victoria. The strict Victorian social code called for, among other things, a rigid class hierarchy, gender roles that privileged men over women, sexual restraint, an obsession with manners and a deep disdain for all things that might be perceived as indulgent. One of many things to come under Victorian suspicion was Halloween
More details are in the article, but it seems to really have depended on when a place was colonized by Britain. Too bad for you in Australia! Maybe you can rectify this misjustice to your country with some awesome haunts!!!

-Jarring

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Welcome!

Your comment about Australia provoked me into a bit of research.

-Jarring
Haha, believe me, I'm trying! I love Halloween and spend a lot of time 're-educating' jaded Aussies about the origins of it. It seems to be a national pastime to poo-poo the whole thing as 'American' which I've never really understood. Gosh darned if you kids didn't take the idea and run with it (in the best of all ways possible, imho!) but credit where credit is due.

I'm having a ball planning ideas for our haunt and I thought as it was our first one we'd go for a Victorian theme because it's relatively easy to dig into our countries depressing past as a colony and find little bits and pieces of horror to deck the halls with.
(Ok, it's not that bad. It's just another one of our pastimes to take the mickey out of the poms ;) They're our long-suffering older brother, I'm sure they're used to it).

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum , looking forward to seeing how your theme progresses , keep us all informed and with plenty of photos , have fun , roll on Halloween

1 - 11 of 11 Posts