Halloween Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I've got a few questions for all of you. My husband and I are going to dress up this halloween as Jack the Ripper and a prostitute. (he he, I get to be the ripper!) My question is as follows... I've got a modified turkish surcoat that I think might work for his costume. It's scooped out below the breasts and only laces down halfway down the ribs, but I thought I could drape a scarf around his neck and tuck it into the bodice, and with a corset underneath it might work. Also, he'd be wearing a chemise under, and I can improvise a bustle underneath it. Does this sound like it might work? Does anyone know what prostitutes in the 1880's would be wearing? Am I anywhere close? Any other suggestions? Thanks!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh, and another question. I've got an english mastiff, and thought it would be fun to dye her red and call her clifford. Any ideas on how I can do this safely? I don't want to use the hairspray because she might get sick licking it off, and something like henna would take a long time sitting on her and she would have too much opportunity to dye the rest of my household.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Entertainers, Hurdy Gurdy Girls and Soiled Doves

is a good place to start for the 1880's look.

And dying your mastiff!? lol Alright if you really wanna - use food coloring and water in a spray bottle. Food coloring is edible and won't hurt the pooch is he goes lick-crazy. They also sell dog dye, but this is a friendlier, quicker method.

·
Zombie Inside
2,045 Posts
Here's a picture of "Mary Kelly" from the movie From Hell.
Photos from From Hell

Also, I think anything being touted as a Mrs. Lovett costume would probably work. I had done some research on the subject earlier as Jack the Ripper & Mary Kelly was one of my costume ideas for the husband and I this year. Hope you'll post pictures when you get the costumes together!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts