Halloween Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With me in Ontario, sure been difficult to get even teens involved! Any suggestions? I do a home yard haunt outdoors. Last year was a biggest and most successful year! People from all over with in 25mi radius came down to see. Lots of compliments. I decided to do donations for our community this year. I have 2 potential young students that want to do their community hours. one wants to act, one want to do behind scenes. Any suggestions greatly appreciated, not my first time in haunting but it is when seeking young people to be volunteers.

Attachments

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hoping anyone with experience in getting volunteers from your local highschool. Have you had them do community hours helping your home haunt? Or how did you get more volunteers?

·
Rutherford Manor Haunt
2,065 Posts
Nice yard haunt Tamster it looks great!

We have been fortunate to have a few close friends help us out the last 4 seasons, but the haunt was growing every year and it was a real challenge for 5-6 of us to adequately cover the scare spots. In 2013 my son's U14 soccer team challenged the U14 girls team to a laser tag evening that wrapped up with a tour of our walk through. We had about 8 people from that event contact us during the summer to volunteer for the 2014 season. Our kids are teens now so we had a lot of their friends help out as well. Finally last year we had enough volunteers to cover all 3 nights after scraping by in previous seasons. More than half of them were teens which can present other challenges, some turn out to be too inhibited and just sort of stand there. Other kids thought it was scary to incessantly scream or bang on things long after the victim had passed. ;) And there were a handful of kids that were naturals and just got the timing and technique of scaring people. Overall the kids were really enthusiastic, it was just a matter of re-directing some of that energy! :D I would try local high schools, maybe speak with the drama teachers. My kids are in the Seperate/Catholic school system and community service is mandatory for Religion class. They use the hours they put in at the haunt as part of their community service time (we support local foodbank). We have a couple of neighbors and some co-workers who want to be part of the 2015 season so maybe you can work that angle as well?

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank Trex for your insight!! I do have my two daughters and their husbands plus friends of ours and my darling husband that help for the past 6 yrs, last year we had nine who helped. This year I want to revamp my theme. I do however just had two girls contact me to help and do community hours. I was thinking maybe making a poster for the school to put on their bulletin? I have a friend also is great for instructing kids. I just need more kids to join, just seems they aren't interested in volunteering. I also was thinking of maybe putting a banner in front of my fence saying " Voluneers Needed!" you think that would work? LOL

·
Rutherford Manor Haunt
2,065 Posts
I think that would help get the word out, also many grocery stores have community boards, you might try putttnig a posting there? Our neighborhood also has a dedicated FB page and I see requests for volunteers posted on ours all the time. Try posting on your local community FB page; after all your donations are going to support your local community, that may entice members to help out? I know for us the soccer night doubled our numbers for the following season, and word of mouth from last year has others wanting to help out this year. You just need a couple of lucky breaks and then word spreads once people participate and tell others how much fun it is.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts