Halloween Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gonna attempt to create a small version of this facade for our home haunt. Give me some thoughts on how the lighting for the windows is best accomplished.
I'm thinking one of the following:

frosted plexiglass with orange and red led's behind them
clear PG that has been painted red/orange with white light behind them

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Lighting gel comes in sheets and rolls - cheapest is Apollo. But it's kind of thin and depending on the amout of footage, maybe costly. Usually you can contact a small local event production house and they can order you bulk at a decent price. Still around $5 for a 20" x 24" sheet. Haven't priced the 25' roll in a while.

A red light, a white curtain, and a fan can give you a bit of movement. IP 65 or better LED lights can be found on Amazon for $1 a watt and are a great investment for haunt lighting.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
815 Posts
I just use doubled pieces of that cheap red plastic table cloth they sell at Michaels, and leave a light on in the room, and place an extra light into larger rooms.

·
Imitation Imagineer
1,175 Posts
I'm not sure what they've done in that particular case, but I would imagine that the type of light employed has as much to do with it as anything...that's pretty intense and saturated!

Now, I've not had results like theirs, but we've had some success with a mix of CFL in the open areas, and LED strips installed around the window casing in areas we needed to keep closed off visually.

I'm not sure it's what you're looking for, but the image below is a side-by-side comparison of what the visqueen / LED combination yields relative to the CFLs:

In the 'occupied' rooms, we've installed visqueen behind LED strips to help reflect the light. (the RGB LED strips generally allow you to adjust intensity and color, so they provide the option to change things up on the fly and aren't so expensive that it's prohibitive)

The attic window and large window over the door are the more intense and saturated green which is just CFL bulb out of the line of sight and bouncing off of walls, etc.....given that it seems like you're planning a facade, I think the CFL bulbs have a chance at provideing some of the intensity that is evident in the HHN image.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
234 Posts
I’ve been doing this for years now. You need:

(2) polyester shower curtains for each window
LED RGB strip light
Velcro
Hot Glue Gun
Stapler
WiFi Outlet
Time. Lots of time.

1. Cut the curtains to size and iron out the wrinkles.
2. Hot glue Velcro to the corners of the window.
3. Staple Velcro to each corner of the Shower Curtain and install the curtain to the window’s Velcro.
4. Run the LED light strip around the window inside of the casing as close to the window as possible.
5. Install the 2nd curtain basically “sandwiching” the LED light between the curtains. I use command hooks to install this curtain.
6. Plug into the WiFi outlet and program the timer.

Result:

Note: I leave the light strips installed each year, but remove the shower curtains. The window treatments cover the light strip up when not in use.
The hot glue may have to be redone according to how hot/humid it gets in your area.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Gonna attempt to create a small version of this facade for our home haunt. Give me some thoughts on how the lighting for the windows is best accomplished.
I'm thinking one of the following:

frosted plexiglass with orange and red led's behind them
clear PG that has been painted red/orange with white light behind them
I was thinking of a facade as well to put in front of our arbor bench. Might be ambitious and do an infinity box where the doorway will be.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts