Halloween Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings All, I was wondering if any fellow Halloween Forum members out there have any opinions about this 2 pack Solar Spotlight Set from Harbor Freight & Tool. Apparently they have 3 LED's per spotlight & require a full 6 hours direct sunlight for a full charge that lasts 8 hours. A similar item lists the Light intensity as 9000-12000 microcandelas(?). I have no idea if that is very bright or if it's considered hardly light at all. The "micro" doesn't sound too promising though!I imagine that because they're spotlights, they won't have a wide angle of light output, but more centrally focused (duh, hence spotlight). I was wondering about putting a couple colored gels in front of the lights to illuminate my front (grave) yard. If anybody has any experience or could possibly tell me how much light these two spotlights would put out. I certainly appreciate any thoughts or concerns in regards to possibly purchasing & using these to light my yard. Again, I do thank you for your help! -ssf-

·
Registered
310 Posts
My experience with any of the solar powered lights is that they put out a pathetic amount of light, at best. To give you an idea, you can buy a single small LED that puts out more than 9000 mcd and its not that bright. Also, last year I had the bright idea (get it - 'bright') to use colored gels over some of my landscaping floodlights (20 watt versions that are VERY bright) to change the color to blue or red - but the gels reduced the light output by about 70% so I abandoned the idea.

·
Keeper of Spider Hill
1,750 Posts
you can buy these malibu low voltage 4 watt spots at Home Depot for about $5 each. I put red bulbs in them and I run them off of a wall wart. Are great for highlighting smaller areas and they have an adjustable beam. You can see them in this picture, there is one shining on each window.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, . . . that's pretty much all I need to know! Thanks for the input, although I kinda was hoping to hear the opposite of what you just confirmed; even though I figured that I'd end up hearing something along the lines of what you said azdude. DRATS!! Oh well, my heart wasn't set on using them or even buying them for that matter; especiall since the cost is still too high - even for their 25% off "reduced price". So I guess it's back to the "drawing board", cuz I definitely need the illumination, but apprehensive about running the power cords outta the house & across the yard.

Hey diabolik, do they have green or blue bulbs for those malibu spotlights? I was thinking about heading to the big box hardware store to see what I might be able to find to do the job. Still concerned about running extension cords all over the yard, mostly with keeping it out of the way & kept dry.

Anyhow, thanks for the comments guys!

·
Keeper of Spider Hill
1,750 Posts
yes, the bulbs come in red and green for sure (not sure if blue was an option) . You need not run extension cords for those spots. You can use some lightweight 2 conductor wire and you will be fine. You can tape up your connections. Just make sure your wall wart stays dry and all will be good. The lights are all plastic an pretty sturdy for the money. I had actually planned on investing in a full malibu light set and setting up 10 or so of them throughout the yard since you can pinch them on anywhere along the wire (using their cable) I figured I could move them around each year if needed. :)

·
Warlock
1,369 Posts
I have a set of solar spots in the yard year round and they work....ok. I live in Minnesota and anything less than a full 6 hours of charging on the clearest brightest sunniest day gives weak lighting at best. It's fine for the landscaping--keeps people from driving into the retaining wall or the fence--but they're pretty lousy for haunt lighting. especially Since the squirrels seem to like messing with them. I have to reconnect the wiring to the charging panel about once a week. go for plug-in lights. You'll be happier in the long run.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
I bought two sets of solar spotlights from Target. They weren't cheap, even on sale. Well I charged them in full sun for two days as directed and then set up two (one for each of my columns.) They worked fairly well the first night, next night only one was on, then next night both on but only lasted a couple of hours, not even through the majority of the night. Needless to say they are being returned to the store.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts