Halloween Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else receiving an error with image size during uploads? I'm trying to update my posts and have been using the same mobile images as before, however, I'm now receiving an error that the images are unable to be resized and that I'll have to do it manually. I post to multiple forums and don't want to spend the time converting images just for HF.com.

Did something change with the image upload functionality?

Actual error:

"The Dimension limits for this filetype are 640x500. We were unable to resize your file so you will need to do so manually and upload it again. Your file is currently 5312 x 2988."

I've attempted to use advanced settings as well to no avail. Please advise.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you post the same pics to multiple forums Id recommend an image host so you only have to upload once. (imgur, google photos, etc)

however, android or apple? I'll try to test the upload function.
Thanks for taking a look! I haven't settled on a single host just yet, so I just download them in batch an upload them as necessary. Just have never had that error appear here.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you post the same pics to multiple forums Id recommend an image host so you only have to upload once. (imgur, google photos, etc)

however, android or apple? I'll try to test the upload function.
HI UnOrthodOx - just wondering if you know what the issue with the image resize problem is? I'm backed up on adding to my build posts as I'm still receiving this error. Thanks so much for looking into this!

·
Super Moderator
5,681 Posts
I was just trying to link an image from google photos and couldn't get it to work. Is there a tutorial to do this?
THIS I can help with.

Find the pic you want in google photos.

RIGHT CLICK on it and select properties. Highlight and Copy the URL. It will give you something huge and terrifying like this (some browsers allow a 'copy image address' instead of having to go into properties):

Code:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/YtofF_Aj910R_v4rWyEc-UWh39DpKXcr-Zi3rq5Ta7T7TjbK7jbhl-R6log_m0GH3PPgwJCbXlQRCs6pW8gOasA8IceNM9k12DwW5iz6lDGTY7akj1CD1jQ5TbspKCiERjq2RWGLgKJbKXt8-RtRP2XWOpcvfzAQlCGjfI-XqZ64Df9Zbm9O4yLKSv44uWDYgO6hjTp3WlO3PqIB9-vrp6ehlrTcZ_1dXNLswLz1mQyVzmY0UVlbyIVHLDWY94P6URWBKOQbLzSlH5irU-_Y4G-VJyVEXc9SOp8m-8em4BDQoZFLZIBeNfNIlldh78z1Rn0B-eDjd43gCzXcKUePWXh71nwKd4jr5js3YTu0eJ2sy3vL5iSBsBvjOrfjoCUNpQtypgHhSca0vnVIuSFn9RPrqtCOxbyMBKRzraIMQkVde_4yC4Mbg8TchRQdoaW8P_H8pQWdKFgZ-FOFOtr4n-La-iuC91LYuBYdZkxn8oyO0yCww8YiSmpkJsxEq2PkbMyz9cY-z2zmzkT3Kabq4v2QkE_IF1v2-9ia6Awm67aimkxLKb1wkV7r4EHE3v0pY4hbfH5ReveaqVGkPsPv6mGCiFYWUpgmozhcDQSw2iJvcViLqw=w1163-h872-no
NOTE THE LAST BIT THERE WITH THE wnumberhere-hnumberhere-no

That's the size.

Either click on the insert pic icon and select from URL, paste that in, or manually type the code for a pic [ img]paste link here[ /img] (without the spaces)

You can edit the size by changing the number after the w and erasing the h part. Quote this post to see how I did that.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Uploading is not working for me either when uploading directly from a computer or mobile device. It says that it can't resize the image so I have been doing it manually.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Uploading is not working for me either when uploading directly from a computer or mobile device. It says that it can't resize the image so I have been doing it manually.
Hey habeastortioise - I still can't upload pictures the traditional way, but now use Google Photos for all my pics (they automatically upload them from my phone). Then I just copy/paste the URL and they appear. Saves a ton of time on resizing them. I only wish there were an easier workflow to add updates and photos easily from the mobile device...

·
Super Moderator
5,681 Posts
So, I got ahold of the new forum tech gurus on the resizing thing

Word is that if an image is big enough, it can actually be too big for the resizer to handle.

Unfortunately, some of those newer phones have cameras that default to sizes that are too big (which is why my old iphone 5s doesn't replicate the problem)

For those of you using a mobile device, there is apparently a work around:

For mobile uploads, it is recommended to use the Enhanced Mobile View (Topify).
The enhance mobile view lets a larger size sneak through resize processor.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks UnOrthodOx -

What's interesting is that I have the same phone as before that I snap photos from and the setting haven't changed, yet at some point this summer the error started appearing. Interesting. For the workaround you mention, is there supposed to be a link or something? I can't seem to access or see what the workaround actually is...?...

·
Registered
560 Posts
I had the same problem around the same time this thread started. I posted a tutorial with lots of pictures from my computer one day and everything worked great. A couple of days later I went to post another tutorial from the same computer with the pictures from the same camera and ran into the same problem where it would not upload pictures and I got the same message. I remember thinking the forum had been down the night before for maintainance and figure a setting got changed.

I started uploading pictures and using tapatalk and the picture load fine from that.

·
Super Moderator
5,681 Posts
Thanks UnOrthodOx -

What's interesting is that I have the same phone as before that I snap photos from and the setting haven't changed, yet at some point this summer the error started appearing. Interesting. For the workaround you mention, is there supposed to be a link or something? I can't seem to access or see what the workaround actually is...?...
http://www.halloweenforum.com/general-halloween/149914-enhanced-mobile-view-feedback-thread.html

My understanding is the enhanced mobile view should be the default if you load from your phone. Maybe you disabled it for full site? (I'm knew to the smart phone stuff)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts