Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
After trying both, I decided to just go full size on the exterior of my house. I suppose it all comes down to what projector you have. Mine is 3300 lumens so the frosted shower curtains, with rear projection, I had a hot spot. I use a white sheet when having movie nights in the backyard. I do also have an "eyeclops" mini toy projector and it's barely bright enough to do rear projecting at all. So it all comes down to projector, lumens, and specific application.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I've used the plain white shower curtain myself with great success. You don't need to buy anything expensive. In fact the cheaper the better it seems. I have used the Wal-Mart and Big Lots brands and they work great for rear projection.

·
Imitation Imagineer
1,117 Posts
Clear frosted hotspots. White plain does not

Victor
There are several good points in these replies, and I definitely agree with that ^. I've used both, and they do both work, but the hot spot on the frosted can be a bit much, so I tend to go with white more often.

Having said that, I find applications for all manner of projection materials, and advise playing around a bit to see what you prefer; I've not found it to be too terribly costly, and have found multiple uses for everything I've purchased.

My purchases have all been from Walmart, Big Lots, or dollar stores; no real need for quality in this application. I don't know that I've ever spent more than $4 on a shower curtain, so it's pretty cheap to experiment with these products. :)

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I wanted to bump this rather than make a new thread, I found something interesting this past Halloween. You know something else that works just fine if you already have them? Pull down vinyl blinds, the kind that roll up at the top of the window. I don't say you should buy them just for this purpose, they're too expensive for that and a $5 shower curtain works great. But if you already have them, just pull them down and rear project directly onto them. This is what I did here; the blinds were pulled down all the way but the Terror Eyes DVD was playing on the lower half of the windows only. Food for thought, one more option.

DSCF3304.jpg

·
Registered
393 Posts
I've used a shower curtain in the past but last year I used a white plastic table cloth (rear projecting) that I got at The Dollar Tree and it worked out perfect.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
The hot spot can be avoided by angling the location of the projector to the side or a little lower so the light energy isn't focused directly on a spot that's easily visible from the outside.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I just used white shower curtain from the pound store and it worked great stretched tight across my window, just stuck it up with blu tack.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I have a very tall window that I use "painter's plastic sheeting" that you can find in any paint or hardware store. I cut it to size then spritz a little water on the window then smooth out the winkles and bubbles. Works great when you have a large or irregular shape window.

·
Registered
459 Posts
FWIW - I use a white plastic disposable tablecloth. It's thinner than a shower curtain so it can tear a little when removing it (I tape mine to the outside of the window) . I bought it at Party city as a test because I wasn't sure what would look best. That was 3 years ago. My projections look great!

After reading this thread, I might keep an eye out for a white shower curtain. Thicker might make the setup and take down easier.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts