Halloween Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't you get tired of the same ol thing for dinner? On another forum I belong to we had a what's for dinner thread where we could post recipes to share. Some quick easy meals and others more complicated.

If you have a favorite recipe or any recipe you'd like to share, post it here.

Maybe you won't have to have the same ol thing tonight.

I'll start.

·
Registered
34,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Steak Chicana

I usually make a large batch of this so you can adjust it down or up for your needs.

5 lbs london broil
32 oz jar Pace mild thick and chunky salsa
16 oz can tomato sauce
2 green bell peppers
1 small onion
2 T garlic powder
1 T pepper
2 T vegetable oil

Cube meat into small pieces. In a large deep skillet on high heat add your oil and meat cubes, garlic and pepper. While that is cooking, chop up the bell pepper and onion, add to the meat, once the meat is fully cooked and the pepper is bright green add the salsa and the tomato sauce. Bring to boiling then reduce heat to simmer and let it cook for about 2 hrs.

Serve over rice or in flour tortillas with shredded cheddar cheese. Add sour cream and or guacamole if you like.

Edit I usually trim all the excess fat off the meat too.

·
I'll get you my pretty!
550 Posts
chicken supreme

2 chicken breast fillets diced
2 cloves of garlic minced
i med onion diced
pack of mushrooms sliced
i glass of white wine
salt & pepper
single cream
milk, butter & flour for a white sauce

saute the chicken until cooked, in the wine & garlic then add the onions & mushrooms simmer gently until onions are soft. don't allow it to dry out - add more wine if you need to
. add salt & pepper
make up a white sauce & add to the chicken, onions & mushrooms & wine. when ready add some cream to taste (too much will make it too rich)
serve with boiled rice

·
AntiChrist Superstar
1,418 Posts
I am a simple but good cook, I can bang out pitbeef,roasts, barbeque ribs, buffalo wings etc,, more than a few ingredients recipes aints my thang,, good ol southern cooking for me.

·
Don't Drink and Fly!!
2,959 Posts
This has become a HUGE favorite at our house, yummy and easy comfort food from Paula Deen:

Wayne's Beef Macaroni and Cheese

Ingredients:

1 teaspoon each dried basil, cumin, and dried oregano
Salt and pepper
3 cup canned crushed tomatoes
2 lb lean ground beef
1 tablespoon chopped garlic
2 cup chopped onion
2 cup chopped green bell pepper
2 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 lb box elbow macaroni
2-3 cup grated cheddar cheese

Directions:

Cook the macaroni according to package directions; drain and set aside. Heat the oil in a skillet; add the peppers, onion, and garlic, and saute until soft. Add the ground beef and saute until browned. Add the tomatoes, salt and pepper to taste, and the basil, cumin, and oregano. In a large bowl, combine the macaroni and the beef mixture. Spread this mixture into a 9 x 13-inch baking dish. Top with the cheese and bake at 350 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the cheese is lightly browned and bubbly.

Note:

Just as is it is great. But my family doesn't like green peppers, so I leave those out, and through experimenting we've found that we like it even better with 1-2 tsp of Italian Seasoning substituted for the basil, cumin and oregano (I guess it's the cumin we don't like ;) ) and I put half of the macaroni mix in the casserole and some cheese, the rest of the macaroni and then the rest of the cheese on top. And I go more towards the 3 cups of cheese than the two. I like this because it's the kind of dish you can keep ingredients on hand for, and doesn't take long to make. Enjoy!!

·
The Hobo Spider Assassin
6,111 Posts
Potato Pepper Cheese Soup

3-4 lbs of white potatoes, washed and chopped into 1-inch pieces

1/2 cup of shredded medium Chedder Cheese

1/2 cup of shredded Monteray Jack Cheese

2-3 Jalapenoes chopped

1 pint of white button mushrooms, sliced

3 cloves of garlic, minced

1 medium onion, chopped

1/4 cup of extra virgin olive oil (more or less)

2 tbsp of dried oregano

1 tsp of sea salt

1 tsp of black pepper

1 tbsp season all

2-3 bay leaves

1 can of Swansons Chicken Broth

Water

In your cooking pot/soup pot, add onions, garlic, jalapenoes,mushrooms and olive oil, saute until mushrooms are slightly reduced and onions are opaque.

Add potatoes, seasonings, chicken broth. Add water until the potaoes are just covered, stir well, bring to a boil and then reduce heat, cover and simmer (stirring about every 4-5 minutes) until potaoes just are tender.

Remove from heat and allow to sit for 5 minutes, find and remove bay leaves. Stir in cheeses until well mixed. Serve hot with crusty bread on the side. If you like it spicer you can add more jalapenoes or less or even bump it up a bit with a habenero!

Enjoy!:D

·
Vesta
1,390 Posts
Artichoke Beef Stew

1/3 cup all purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper ( i use a bit more)
2 1/2 lbs lean beef stew meat
3 tablespoons oil (i use olive oil)
1 can condensed beef consomme, undiluted (i actually use plain ol' beef broth and the amount)
1 large onion, halved and sliced
1 garlic clove, minced
1 cup red wine
2 teaspoons dill weed
1 can artichoke hearts, chopped and drained
1 pack of fresh mushrooms, halved or sliced
Hot egg noddles

In a shallow bowl or large ziplock bag, combine the flour, salt and pepper. Add beef and toss to coat. In a dutch oven, brown beef in oil. Gradually add consomme (or broth) to dutch oven. Bring to boil; stir to loosen brown bits from pan. Stir in onions, wine, garlic and dill.
Cover and cook on low for 3-4 hours or until meat is tender. Stir in mushrooms and artichokes. Cook 30 minutes longer or until heated through. Serve over noodles.

·
Vesta
1,390 Posts
Tortilla Soup

It is very hot if you use the right chipolte peppers. We use La Costena peppers. We also top ours with diced avocado. Enjoy!

Ingredients

* 1 Spanish onion, cut into 1-inch wedges
* 7 cloves garlic, smashed
* 1/2 canned chipotle chile in adobo, seeded and coarsely chopped
* One 28-ounce can whole, peeled tomatoes (with puree), roughly chopped
* 5 cups chicken broth, homemade or low-sodium canned
* Vegetable oil for frying
* 6 white corn tortillas, halved and cut into thin strips
* 2 teaspoons kosher salt, plus more for sprinkling tortillas
* 2 dried pasilla chile, seeded, and cut into thin 3-inch long strips
* 6 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
* Freshly ground black pepper
* 1-1/2 cup grated Monterey jack cheese (about 4 1/2 ounces)
* 1 scallion (white and green), thinly sliced on the diagonal
* 30 fresh coriander leaves (cilantro), for garnish

Directions

Heat a large cast-iron skillet over high heat until hot. Arrange the onion and garlic in the skillet in a single layer and cook, turning once, until charred, about 7 minutes.

Working in batches, if necessary, combine the chipotle, tomatoes, charred onion, and garlic in a blender and puree until smooth.

Transfer the tomato mixture to a large pot. Bring to a boil and cook, stirring, until the mixture has thickened, about 4 minutes. Pour in the broth, return to a boil, lower the heat, and simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes.

Meanwhile, pour the oil for frying into a large heavy-bottomed pot to a depth of 2 inches. Place over medium heat and heat to 365 degrees F. Add the tortilla strips and fry until golden brown, about 1 minute. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the strips to a paper towel-lined plate and sprinkle with salt. Repeat with the pasilla strips, frying them for 10 seconds, and transfer to the plate.

When ready to serve the soup, stir in the 2 teaspoons salt and the lime juice. Divide the tortilla strips and cheese among soup bowls and ladle the tomato broth over them. Garnish with the pasilla strips, scallion, and cilantro. Serve immediately

·
Registered
34,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Chicken Enchiladas

4 to 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts
2 26 oz cans condensed cream of chicken soup
1 24 oz container of sour cream
1 4 oz can chopped mild green chilies
1/2 4 oz can chopped jalapeno chilies
1 small onion
1 pound mild cheddar cheese
1 pound monterey jack cheese
4 or 5 medium sized (10") flour tortillas
garlic powder, onion powder and pepper

Boil chicken breasts with pepper, garlic and onion powder for an hour to an hour and a half. Allow to cool slightly.

Mince the two chilies and onion. (I generally only use half to 3/4 of the onion depending on the size)

In a large bowl mix soup, sour cream, green chilies and onion together and set aside. (soup mixture)

Finely shred and mix both cheeses.

In a large bowl shred chicken, add 1/2 of the soup mixture to the chicken, mix well. (chicken filling)

Coat the bottom of a 13X9X2 baking dish with some of the soup mixture.

Take a tortilla, add a handful of cheese mixture (about 1/2 cup), add about a cup to a cup and a half of chicken filling to the middle of the tortilla, fold two sides of the tortilla over the mixture and lay, fold side down, in the dish (they will be very full), repeat til the dish if full. Spread the remaining soup mixture to cover the chicken filled tortillas, spread the remaining cheese on top of that.

Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 45 to 60 minutes. Makes 8 to 10 large servings.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts