Halloween Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fantastic!!! He's great!
Thanks! :) I'm so happy he's finally up. I know he's no where near par with the props shown here! He's stopping traffic in our little town though ..LOL

Headed out to find some fabric to strip and put on him this morning. Then have high hopes of getting sign sanded and painted .. Then sign post and lantern mounted today. We'll see .. Real life seems to keep getting in the way, people want to get fed, wear clean clothes .. Strange stuff like that. ;) Priorities people .. Priorities ..

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I didn't get as far as I'd hoped, but tomorrow is a new day. First pic the sign, it looks lop sided sitting, but it's plum hanging, just not sitting. Second pic, faux fire and ice lantern turned on and gnarled stick the sign will be mounted too. Rough idea of sign mounted. Tomorrow get sign put up and 'dress' scarecrow .. Then on wards to the rest of the pumpkin patch.

Attachments

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Undertaker, thank you! :) I wanted him to be tall as the porch roof and menacing looking .. He peers down at cars as they turn the corner. :)

Great looking sign and lantern. Did you freehand the lettering?
Yes, it's free handed on .. It's kind of a rough and easy copy of looking at zombie font on-line. :)

Below are pics of the area I'm working with. My singing pumpkins will go on the patio and blocked off with hay bales at the entrance. Part of me is thinking of maybe cutting down the skeleton that stepping on the urn, turning him around. Putting the sign in one hand and the lantern in the other and he can be the meeter greeter. If I mount it all on the stick, it will be on the other side of the entrance, in front of that column.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is where we ended up. Had to leave the rope coming out his skull .. This is one of my more 'frail' skeletons. He was a real PITA to work with .. Limbs kept falling off. My daughter and I were getting ready to chuck him in the bushes. :p On to the next thing.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Beginning to dress the monster. This is 4 yards of cheap fabric stripped up, thought that would be enough. I think I need about 6 more yards to finish his tattered cloak look and flesh him out. I like the movement it gives him in the wind though.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Starting to play with lighting, last year we really lacked! In this area. :p I need at least two more blue floods in the front. Another orange to wash the other way on the porch. Maybe a small spot to hit the sign from underneath. From there maybe local fake candle light in front of stones, plus the pumpkins will be lit on the night of. On the night of maybe a couple of blue lights glowing upstairs in the front dormer???

Any suggestion appreciated! :)

All pics are taken with an ipad, so not the best quality.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well went to buy hay bales to block off the area and then decided to go another way. I was worried stacking up the bales people might set their kids on them to watch the singing pumpkins. The projector will be on the other side, so I don't want any accidents. I found a 6' section of unfinished 'gothic picket' fencing for $27 dollars, I'll have it for next year too , it's more secure and made more sense. So after a quick stain with left around the house stuff, I layered a black, burnt umber and gray dry brush on for age. Just used baling twine to secure it to column. Add some free atmosphere ( leaves blown off yard ) to hide brick patio and now my haunted pumpkin patch has a floor. Next step cutting some kiln dried logs my Dh has left over from a work site into stumps for the pumpkins to sit on and give them a quick age job. Step by step I'm slowly getting there. :)

Also. By putting the fence up people are starting to ask what's going on back there .. They'll see come halloween ;)

Leaves covering brick floor, creating a better neglected pumpkin patch look. Those cornstalks will be put up once I get stumps in place.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nicely done!
I really like it a lot :)
Thanks so much Bobzilla, it's going slow .. But I think by Halloween I'll have at least the patch ready to roll this year. I love the singing pumpkins, but I'm very glad they won't be positioned right behind where we are handing out candy this year! ;) Gives us a little buffer from them, plus gives them their own showcased area I guess.

I'm still trying to figure out lighting, read all the tutorials people shared with me. I can't get good saturation with the blue floods. I'm fighting two kind of bright street lights though so that might be it. I think maybe investing in a lot of LED's next year might help. Not sure if I'm digging the orange on the porch. But .. Some lighting is way further ahead that we were last year. It's a learning curve that's for sure!

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Next step staining, aging and weathering wood stands for pumpkins to sit on. Have been waiting for my Dh to bring me home material and the chop saw to work with. Almost dry, then I need to cart them around front and start putting up corn stalks finally.

Raw materials ..

Three cut stained, painted and drying ..

Flat side will face out.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts