Halloween Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I first opened 27 years ago , some people would drive the 3 hours from Chicago to see Ravens Grin,(some still do) they would often arrive after 10 pm and they would find little Mount Carroll very empty , like a ghost town or a movie set of an 1880 town. I might be the only living person to see in the whole downtown. At the conclusion of their house tour (maybe 60 to 90 minutes later) some of them would sometimes ask me:"So, like do you own this whole downtown?"

Now the tavern next door on the corner is empty , at least for awhile, which removed all the customer cars parked around the building and parking lot close to my house, another bar-restaurant up the block closed (Getting totally remodeled into a Cafe, so other's economic misfortunes and business decisions have once again added to the spooky atmosphere of this little village for my haunt, not as if (to many people's idea) I NEEDED anything more odd or spooky!
The huge City graveyard looking at me from across the little valley, being located here all alone behind the downtown, surrounded by parking lots on three sides a cliff , woods, river , more woods on the North. It's like being miles from anywhere, right in-town!
THE CLASSIC EVENT, from years ago was when a carload kept phoning us for directions every 15 minutes, they finally found Mount Carroll , finally found their last turn, they were rolling right at us as we stood in front looking at them... and suddenly every light in this half of the town WENT OUT!
It was Very Dark! Only illumination were their car's headlights!
"GOTCHA!"
IT seemed to them I did own this town, and I had my twitchy paw on the master switch.. I just turned it off , just to scare them... some more!

·
Registered
623 Posts
My Mother just moved to Wisconsin last year and my Wife's family lives in central Illinois. The next time we drive back that way for a family visit we'll be passing right by the Mount Carroll area as we go from one family to the other.. We'd definitely like to stop by and check out Ravens Grin it sounds like it'd be very interesting. Maybe I'll pick up some ideas to enhance our own haunted house (garage). Not sure when we'll be taking the trip but it'll probably be sometime late next spring or early summer. It's a long drive so we only do it once every couple of years.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
"Chewy" I once had a Mother-in-law that lived in Springfield, Ill. and for some reason the road from Springfield to Mount Carroll was always longer than the road from Mount Carroll to Springfield. We were always expected to drive to see her.
My Wife once thought we should move there... "Springfield!? Remember last Summer when they found the body parts of two guys on the river bank there? Remember last year when a little girl living a few house down the block from your Mother was stabbed 47 times while playing in her own backyard by a running psycho? And You want us to move there?" (All this happened maybe 42 years ago?)
Murder is a very uncommon mode of death around here. When it happens once every 40 or more years the murderer is caught quickly, very quickly, and convicted and goes "away" to never return,almost always. Actually Always.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
3 Participants
Gym Whourlfeld
Halloween Forum
Halloween forum - Keeping the Halloween spirit alive 365 days a year. Discuss decorations, costumes and more!
Full Forum Listing