Halloween Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here is a daylight walkthrough of my 2008 Haunt.

Shutterfly

Just a few of the hightlights.

1. Thunder and lightning playing all around yard using IZombie with blue lights and speakers hanging high in the trees

2. Background music all around with large speaker of fron and rock speakers all around the path

3. 1930 Model A has a peppers ghost effect of a floating head….extremely cool…I get a lot of comments like “how did you do that”

4. Clown room has flashing colored lights and Virgil clown soundtrack playing. It has a Drop panel and an actor standing on a platform like a mannequin

5. Freddy Kruger room has a spark grid and Theme music playing. Freddy is behind curtain and comes out when patrons get to where they can see themselves in the mirror with Freddy coming up behind them.

6. Skeleton has pressure mat, when activated it sprays air and fine mist on them like it is peeing on them.

7. Ring room has the ring painted on wall with a water effect projected on it…it looks awesome. Ring girls in corner come out after the patrons.

8. Hospital has flickering lights, eerie sounds and music, fog in the experiment tank and two actors

9. Funeral room has coffin…lid is on a push switch for the actor to slowly raise the lid and then slam in down…there is also a following bust and an air cannon in the wall.

10. Toxic dump has monster that is activated by PIR sensor and pops up and sprays water all over, two different sounds

11. Hanging man is PIR activated and kicks violently and gags when activated

12. Creature crate has monster snoring and when activated by PIR the lids opens and closes, red light inside goes off and monster starts screaming, there is also an actor in the cage that jumps out after the patrons.

13. Very large air cannon that is pressure mat activated and scares the &*^% out of them every time

14. Spider is PIR activated and springs up and hisses at the patrons

15. Electric chair control panel has large Jacobs ladder, strobe lights under the chair and two actors.

That’s the basics, there are a lot of little things that I didn’t mention. I am very pleased with how it all came out this year.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thats Great!! i can see you have spent a lot of time to create such a great haunt,

-By the way, i see all of your pneumatics have air reservoir and i just wanted to ask where did you get them?, Thanks

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I built the air reserves.......I have one large compressor, two small ones and one tiny one. I need another large one really bad......

Thanks for the comments... I did every bit of it myself...even though my wife loves it, she travels alot for work and none of my friends could care less. Needless to say it has taken nearly three solid weeks to get it all setup and working. It takes a long time to get all of the sensors in the right place, adjust the lighting and timings so that it all works the way I want.

The only thing I can't take credit for is the clown painting...my sister in law did that in about 10 minutes...I wish I had that kind of talent.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I plan to once I have all of the actors in place....I did one last night, but it needs the actors to make sense.....I will post as soon as I have it done.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It is fun...except for the actor parts like sparking the spark grid and stuff like that...it is completly automated. Once I get it all started, it runs itself. All the sound tracke are either on looping CD playes, gilderfluke SD's or Fright Ideas Boo Boxes. Lighting is all DMX, and the controllers for the pnuematics are the boo boxes. All I do is fill the fog machines, the chiller with ice, and the Tiki Torches with fuel, power it up and sit back and enjoy. I stopped acting, because I want to sneak around and watch all of it unfold as patrons go thru.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't know if it will show on video when I do it...but it is definately very cool. I can't believe how well it works....I know what it is and I cannot convince my brain to see it as inverted....very very cool

·
Registered
399 Posts
That is one LARGE Jacobs ladder in the Electric chair control box. I have three, Two are set up and one in the basement. I have never been able to get a real wide gap at the top. I'm using neon sign transformers. May I ask how big of a gap do you have at the top and how are you running it?

Pictures look great!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have about 2.5 to 3 inches at the top. I am using a 25000 volt neon transformer. I started using copper pipe because it is perfectly straight and produces a great arc. When I covered it with plexiglass I had to drill some small air holes at the bottom to get it to work well. Don't know why but it made the difference

·
Registered
399 Posts
25000 WOW !!!!!!! the biggest one that i have running is only 9000 V. The air hole help with heat Hot rises and takes the arc along with it,well at least that's my theory. I once had mine covered well also and need to open up the top to get them to work better.

Everyone loves the kids say " look mom/dad, isnit great" mom/dad responds, "its just a prop, its not real".

I just smile, 9,000 volts real :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the comments...I don't think the photos do it justice....I am not very good at creating the artsy or craft items but I think I do a good job setting up a scare. Last year we had alot of people that couldn't or wouldn't finish

·
Registered
144 Posts
I too want to know where you got the inverted bust...and is it 'cast' or just a think sheet of molded plastic? I assume the latter with the backlighting...?

I really wish I could lay all mine out ahead of time...I have to rush to 'perfect' all the timing, placement, lighting, etc. We understand the daylight pics do it no justice, but they are VERY helpful to see how it is engineered and to get some ideas. Thanks.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am sorry, I don't remember where I got it. I bought it about three years ago and just never did anything with it until this year. When I saw the effect at Disney, I knew I wanted it, I had no idea how well it would turn out and how easy it is. It is an inverted thin sheet of plastic....real simple . With a bright light behind it.

Another thing I thought I would mention since it just started raining. I bought a bunch of gas grill covers on sale. Thing do a great job of protecting my outdoor props in bad weather. They are heavey so they hold up well and have cinches to put them on tight.

The biggest problem I am running into now is power. I hate the idea of doing it, but I am going to have to have addition power brought into my house to run my haunt. Since I barely keep it all going now and I plan on adding three more rooms and another air compressor next year, I know I will push it over the edge. My plan is to have three 240v dedicated outlets put in right by my outdoor panel. Then I am going to create power stations with a large kill sitch to distribute to the different areas. My yard is an acre so on panel doesn't work...extension cords kill me. I have 25 100' 10 gauge extension cords now...they are not cheap.

·
Registered
448 Posts
haunt

VERY nice! You should feel quite proud. You're quite the propaholic, it appears. (We need a to form a chapter of Propaholics Anonymous...lol).
Bill

1 - 18 of 18 Posts