Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It all began two or three years ago when I absolutely fell in love with Grandin Road's Venetian Victoria. I have posted about her here before, so I won't go over all that again: the wait, the uncertainty if we would get her [that was the year they switched from latex to a hard plastic face, and many people were receiving these figures with their noses smashed in, etc.] So Vicky has been in in my house since then, she stays up all year 'round because I love her that much, and she is a presence in my house. She does not disturb me in the least.

Then I decided: I needed her sister Helsa too. I held off on Helsa because these figures are not cheap, and I really didn't have room for Helsa. But every year these figures go up ten dollars in price, so it was time to make my move or shut up. I waited for a sale, then I plunged.

Helsa, first day out of the box in the cold light of day:

I love her soft eye makeup, and her black lipstick.

But her hands are poorly finished, look at all this sloppy flashing:

I abhor that sort of thing! Nope! She needs a mani. Unfortunately I cant remove her hands to do the job I'd like to do; but at least her hands are not "aged" like Victoria's. Hmmm, what can we do.....

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Helsa's "talon" half-moon manicure:

Vicky has a similar one, but she is wearing a blackened red color.

IF YOU WANT TO TRY THIS, WEDGE FINGERS TIGHTLY!!!!! TOGETHER! You will have to wedge more than once, but unless those fingers are wedged tightly this is a nightmare to try and get done.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
At first glance I thought maybe the ridges along the fingers looked like seams for gloves? But then the finger nails blew that possibility.
How tall are these figures?

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Getting their eyes synchronized was more trouble than you'd think. Picturetrail shrunk my pictures, so unfortunately in a lot of these you cannot tell that their eyes are lit up.

I tried eyelashes on Helsa, but she was like: NOOOOOOOOOOOPE! So I respected that. She is currently wearing a Snooki-esque "bumpit" and I am considering how we both feel about that. [She's not really wearing a bumpit. But it looks like she is.....]

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Love these two.

Now, the $64,000 question: Will Lady in Black be joining them next year?! I have nowhere to put her! Would she be a third wheel? Time will tell....

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
p.s. Hi from Tabitha Rune, my resident mannequin. She is wearing a skeleton gown, and a "skull" mask from Target 2012. I popped out all the cheapo plastic rhinestones and replaced them with Swarovski, 'cause that's how we roll around here.

I wojuld love to do more with her, but she's very heavy compared to Helsa and Vicky. Moving her requires undressing and dis-assembling and a whole lot of straight-up ARGH!

Happy belated Halloween, people. This forum is a blast. :cool:

·
Registered
606 Posts
After seeing other members sharing Victoria in here last year and some members getting her at half price during Grandin Road's sale, I hoped and waited for the end of this Halloween to be able to get her. Nope. She was sold out. I don't care for the more flesh tone of the version that Oriental Trading Company sells.

Also missed the animated witch with spell book. She was gone by the second catalog I received from GR. I'm hoping both will be back next year and I'll probably end up paying full price.

Love the pics, your alterations, and your story!

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
After seeing other members sharing Victoria in here last year and some members getting her at half price during Grandin Road's sale, I hoped and waited for the end of this Halloween to be able to get her. Nope. She was sold out. I don't care for the more flesh tone of the version that Oriental Trading Company sells.

Also missed the animated witch with spell book. She was gone by the second catalog I received from GR. I'm hoping both will be back next year and I'll probably end up paying full price.

Love the pics, your alterations, and your story!
TYVM for your kind words!

My advice: almost certainly these two will be back. You can wait for a sale with Helsa.... maybe a couple of sales. But the first time you see free shipping, or a good sale and Vicky is still available, grab her. She always sells out first. She has been improved since I got her in 2011...? I think it was, and she ALWAYS sells out first. I just love these two and I think they are some of the coolest props ever. I like my Halloween like I like my Christmas: very elegant and Victorian. Pardon the pun! These two fill the bill, and I'd loved to see other people customizing them.

But they're also fine stock. There's so much you can do with either one of these props!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts