Halloween Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Purely and Simply....EVIL
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Happy October!! Here is my dilemna...we just bought a new house at the end of a cul-de-sac (very dark and spooky) and I am trying to decided to what to do about our yard haunt! We have about an acre total, mostly in the back yard. The problem is that we have too much decor for the front yard, but not enough for the back! We have an inflatable haunted house, but it would take up our driveway so that doesnt seem like a good idea. I would like to have that in the back yard, but I dont want it by itself in the back and the rest in the front bc I dont want people in it unattended. We do have a small storage shed that is built to look like a small house. We could put the grave yard in front of that, and that is where the kids could come to TOT. So one end could have the haunted house and the other the graveyard, but not much else for the walk in between the two. Should I do this or just try to squeeze it all in the front? I do have 6 of the garden yard arches and some other hanging props, but nothing to major. We are probably going to buy a fog machine, but not much else as money is tight with the new home! We also will have a fire pit with a bubbling cauldron outside the shed. (I have a witches outfit to wear) I need some suggestions so that I can get this yard decorated. The other prob is that if I do it in the back, I wont have much decor in the front and I would like some type of decor to tell people this is the house to come to on Halloween Night. Bascially I need more props, but its just not possible this year! Help!!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Maybe make a spooky sign at the front of your house that reads, "Candy this way" and line a path with luminaries or lights of some kind (even christmas lights) and have the bulk of your decorations in the back. Spiderwebbing isn't too expensive, that and a pumpkin and some lights should be enough to alert TOTs that you are indeed celebrating Halloween and passing out candy. Hope this helps.

·
Going bump in the night..
3,388 Posts
Don't forget the possibility of cheap & easy props for the front, to bring them in to enjoy the back...

If possible, go find a bunch of branches and vines, and make a large scarecrow from them, which you can light with one floodlight - this can be one of the draw pieces (amazing how creepy those things can appear when lit from below).

Perhaps a couple of "balloon ghosts" suspended from some fishing line high in the air.
(you know...take a balloon, throw a bit of white cloth over it, and cut or draw eyes on it)
The fishing line could perhaps run from a point of your roof, to a nearby tree, and then a couple of ghosts hanging mid-air along that line.

Of course, a flashing strobe light will always call them in.
Perhaps a boombox out front with a spooky soundtrack playing, turned up so ToT's can hear it from a distance.

·
Registered
136 Posts
We have the same sort of problem. I have lots of room in the rear( pie shaped lot). I would just fill the front with elcheapo props and save the best for the last leg. Just put a sign to let them know. Maybe even cover the front entry way with a home made prop(dungeon, etc.) Happy scaring

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
We went heavy in the back garden area on decor as we have a trail that leads back to it. We also use our big inflatable house in the driveway for 2 years now and has worked great.....its the best prop we have ever gotten, it advertises from a long ways becauses its so huge and everybody around here goes nuts when I put it up. Its basically a halloween lovers magnet !!!!

·
...is up to no good
1,295 Posts
Definitely try to be happy with what you have THIS year. I completely understand money being tight. I think I have spent a total of about $50 for props this year for myself (MAAAYBE $50, at the MOST). But I have to say, taking down all the Halloween stuff I have bought over the previous years was really amazing.

I like these ideas of having a ton of stuff in the backyard (including the inflatable) and then having some kind of sign or teaser to bring them into the backyard. It could be really cool to make a sign for your haunt and you can totally do it on the cheap.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts