Halloween Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Using Eerie Acres' restless tombstone (http://eerieacrescemetery.com/2015/02/18/restless-tombstone-animated-halloween-prop/) as inspiration I decided to try my hand at a prop with similar movement. My idea was to build a skeleton holding a drink sitting on top of a tombstone with an upper torso that sways back and forth. But so far I am completely lost on how to get the movement right.

I want only a small range of motion so that the upper torso isn't leaving the area of the pelvis but everything I do it moves way too far from one side to another. Below are some pictures of my work in progress.

Any advice?? I've tried moving the connection point to the pole but every time I move the bolt it helps one side but makes the other even worse.

Maybe making the board he is sitting on shorter? Or moving the motor higher? Any tricks of the trade on how to get this movement right would be much appreciated! Thanks!

photo 1(4).jpg

photo 2(4).jpg

photo 3(3).jpg

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
Moving the motor up higher will yield less movement because the length of your riser will be shorter, plus it will be less strain on the motor.

·
Registered
320 Posts
It would help me to see the movement that you currently have. Then maybe we could see where the adjustments are needed.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Would putting a "U" bracket or something similar help reduce the movement or would it start binding? I am going to be reworking a prop I had last year that kept binding or tearing itself apart . Similar looking prop.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Moving the location of the motor, and with it the connection point to your pole higher will give you a smaller range of motion. Moving just the connection point on the pole higher or lower will emphasize movement to one side or the other, as you have seen. What I usually do is drill extra holes in the crank arm so I can attach my linkage to the crank arm closer in the the shaft, effectively shortening the crank arm. This lets you quickly try different ranges of motion without moving the motor. This will also give you the same result as mounting the motor and pole connection point higher.

If I were to do anything, if you can mount the motor further away from the pole and make the link from the crank arm to the pole longer, it will give you a smoother movement

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
Would putting a "U" bracket or something similar help reduce the movement or would it start binding? I am going to be reworking a prop I had last year that kept binding or tearing itself apart . Similar looking prop.
Not sure what you mean by a "U" bracket but anything that restricts the movement is just gonna bind up the motor. The long riser is creating a much broader arc, the farther away the end of that pvc riser is from the motor, the greater the movement is gonna be. If you shorten that by moving the motor up, the movement will decrease.

·
Keeper of Spider Hill
1,779 Posts
Rustie, I'd second what J-Man said. Raise the motor further up the pole. I have a couple of tips that might help you. Disconnect your pole from the motor, move the pole to the furthest point left/right that it needs to move for your liking. Run a marker down the outside of the pipe while it is at the furthest left/right position drawing a line down each side of the wood. This will give you a visual guide of the limits of motion you need to stay within. You should then be able to just figure out how high to mount the motor up the pole based on that guide and the distance from the motor with the linkage arms extended out fully.

I hope that makes sense? :rolleyes:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts