Halloween Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to make some tombstones out of wood this year. I have a front and back of one cut out of some extra OSB. I think the particle look of OSB might look kind of cool once they are painted. Also planning to put some 2 x 4's down the side to give them dimension and make it so they stand on their own.

What I am wondering though, since the majority does foam, if anyone else has done much with wood and what the outcome was. Pictures would be awesome if you have them! Will throw up some of the completed project along with the half dozen others as soon as I stop building long enough to take pictures!

·
Mill Creek Haunted Hollow
6,359 Posts
My first couple of years I did a bunch of 3/4" particle board tombstones. I cut them out and painted them with a "granite" paint. Basically, it was dark grey paint with sand in it. They were pretty good, but being only 3/4" thick, they didn't look as good as my styro stones.

Here's a pic from two years ago -- the last year I included the wood tombstones. The wood ones are the darker grey tombstones with the white lettering painted on.

·
Mill Creek Haunted Hollow
6,359 Posts
It's scary looking at old haunt photos!! I really think my stuff has improved over the past couple of years. I've learned a lot from this forum about aging and weathering props!

My tombstones look much nicer this year! :D

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks TK. And yes I agree your stuff is looking better! Still the less realistic stuff is fun as well. I think the biggest problem with wood is that its just not as easily carvable as foam. But on that note, I am a guy with a garage full of wood tools and bound and determined to see if I can develop something to make comparable wood tombstones.

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
I saw the neatest wooden stones a few days ago when someone mentioned the dvd My Name Is Bruce(w/Bruce Campbell) is a funny movie so I rented it. It starts out with a very creepy cemetery and the more I looked at it the more I realized it could all be done for free out of wood and sticks. The stones were thick and rotted boards and the fencing could have been done out of pallets. The rest was bare tree branches surrounding the cemetery..lighting and fog really made it look great. The stones didn't have epitaphs as far as I could see tho' but they struck me as unusual!

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I own that movie and now I think I recall that! I will have to pull it back out for reference. Cool stones wyatt!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts