Halloween Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm doing a haunted castle in my garage and in one long wall I would like to cut out a hole and put an old fashioned arch window with "stained glass" in it and have lightning shine through to show a silhouette in the window.
Has anyone done anything like this that can give me pointers??

·
Banned
524 Posts
For stained glass you can get that big black construction paper that you get from a teachers store that is like 4' wide. Then with chalk draw designs in it then cut them out. Then get tissue paper of different colors and glue it to one side that way the other side looks like it is a window. You can then use as is or attach it to some plexi glass to give it some strength or reflection.

Another method with plexi glass is cut several designs or tape off several designs on the plexi and paint the rest black. Remove the tape to show the designs then feel in those designs with different colors of paint. This might take a little longer to make but would problem last longer and look a tad better.

·
Hauntless
8,371 Posts
From what I understand, you are saying you want to give an illusion of a window where there isn't one. Did I get that right? If so, that's called a lightning box. Devious Concoctions has a how-to in their Volume Two prop book. For sale I would also think that if you hunt around on Google, you could possibly find a online how-to. If you don't find anything, PM me. I can look at my copy and give you the gist on how it's made.

I painted my stained glass windows on a white sheet with thinned out acrylic paints. I then hot-glued it to clear plastic so I wouldn't have any paint leeching onto my white window frames. Here's a video that has a good shot of it at 21 seconds in:

YouTube - Halloween 2008 Lead-up

1 - 5 of 5 Posts