Halloween Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I have been on the forums searching for probably over 8+ hours on info of a flying crank ghost motor for the past week or so (and have been through the forums the past few months but just never signed up). This is my first prop I am really building and starting early so I can fix any problems. But I am still confused on what type of motor to get for the flying crank ghost. All I really know is that it should be a 12VDC gear motor with 4-7 rpm's. I have seen the several tutorials on it and the hundreds of topics. But a big majority of the topics say to get the Dayton motor, which is discontinued, or have links to supplementary motors but the topics are so old that you get an error when going to a link. Now I have heard the whole rotisserie motor, but because I am 17 I don't want to be screwed not getting it to work right. Also being that I am 17 are their any cheaper alternatives to motors because I don't have the money to shell out 50 bucks on a motor for a prop right now. So thanks for any help and sorry for starting another topic on the same stuff over and over again.

·
The Evil Apparitionist
555 Posts
The Dayton motors are nice but fairly expensive. I have my FCGhost, FCSpider and FCSkelton all running on 12Volt car wiper motors. Low RPM (most have two speeds to select from by swapping wires) and plenty of torque. Google "Scary Terry" and check out his section on wiper motors for more info. You can get them on Ebay or from the local junkyard for around $10.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
re

Thanks for all the input, The only thing with a wiper motor is the fact that I have to figure all the amps and voltage out which may be a problem because I know nothing about that stuff. The Rotisserie motors seem like a good idea but every video I have seen with a FCG and a rotisserie motor seems not to be smooth but jerks at some points, it might just be my computer skiping when playing a video thou. But where do you find a cheap rotisserie motor at? and for about how much?

·
Registered
91 Posts
I highly recommend using wiper motors. They are real easy to use, and can be powered with wal-warts you find at thrift stores. Usually try to get a wal-wart with at least 1 amp. Lower amperage may be able to run one, but the initial surge to start the motor usually requires the higher amperage. I believe Wal-Mart also sells variable voltage wal-warts with enough amperage to do the job.

I personally use old computer poweer supplies to power mine. Plenty of amperage and several voltages to choose from.

·
The Evil Apparitionist
555 Posts
Thanks for all the input, The only thing with a wiper motor is the fact that I have to figure all the amps and voltage out which may be a problem because I know nothing about that stuff. The Rotisserie motors seem like a good idea but every video I have seen with a FCG and a rotisserie motor seems not to be smooth but jerks at some points, it might just be my computer skiping when playing a video thou. But where do you find a cheap rotisserie motor at? and for about how much?
Powering a wiper motor is very easy, all mine run off 5 volt 1 amp AC adapters which are cheap and easy to find also.

You really should take a look here: Wiper Motor Page

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
re

Yeah I have read that website quite a few times over and over again but I don't have a wiper motor in hand to visualize. So I think that's why I am having doubts in using a wiper motor. My 2 questions on using a wiper motor are , is it hard to attach the crank shaft ( i think that's what it is called, the aluminum stock piece that is twisted) and my second is how/where do you apply power to the motor? is there a simple plug or do you have to hard wire it, and I have read the how to control the rpm's on that website with the amp being put into the wiper motor but still confused on how to effect how much amps are put into the motor.

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,076 Posts
I got an all in one motor from Monster Guts - came with the wiper motor, the wall wart and adapter so you just plug it in. You don't have to know wiring or any real electronic stuff. The guy that runs MG is awesome about answering questions too.

·
Technological Terror
724 Posts
Frankie's Girl is right. You definately should check out Monster Guts. You can buy a wiper moter, quick connect, and power supply with shipping for about $45. I just bought a few the other day and got the 5VDC 5AMP power supply. It works great for a FCG motor. If you don't have the money, mow some lawns or something... you'll be pleased with the motor.

Halloween Prop Building Supplies For The Home Haunter - Monster Guts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
re

Yeah I think I am going to buy the wiper motor with the power supply ( i think it said it was 36 for both, which isnt bad). Now isnt 15 rpm's a little fast for a flying crank ghost or does it nowt really change the effect an anyway? also is it hard or the same to build the crank arm with a wiper motor, i have read the scary terry website, but with the aluminum stock being in a weird shape for the FCG ?

·
Zombie Hunter
20,479 Posts
Yeah I think I am going to buy the wiper motor with the power supply ( i think it said it was 36 for both, which isnt bad). Now isnt 15 rpm's a little fast for a flying crank ghost or does it nowt really change the effect an anyway? also is it hard or the same to build the crank arm with a wiper motor, i have read the scary terry website, but with the aluminum stock being in a weird shape for the FCG ?
The arm is pretty easy in most applications.
15 RPM,IMHO,is way too fast.I cant tell ya how but others wire them with different power supplies to slow them down.I am sure they will chime in.

·
Technological Terror
724 Posts
If you get the 5VDC 5amp power supply, the motor will run at less than half the 15 rpms. That's why I was telling you to be sure to get it. Then be sure to connect the quick connect leads to the slower connect settings on the motor. Once you get the motor, you will see what I am talking about. There are several leads to connect to on the motor. Just keep moving the quick connect around until you get the slowest movement of the arm.

·
livin Halloween every day
1,989 Posts
Alucard is exactly correct. Thats why i suggested monster guts. Everything can be bought there and you just hook it up. You get the smaller power supply and hook the adaptor leads to the slowest setting on the wiper and you are done. It is very easy to use.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts