Halloween Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all
I decorate our village cemtary each yr for a hay ride. 1 area has VERY old stones so none of the live ghouls are allowed up there. I would like to suspend some ghosts and witches up there. My original idea was the hangman style to hang them off. Originally i thought my husband was going to help now its all me. I handle a chop saw and screw/nail guns just fine but dont have the knowledge to figure the angles to get the heights other than trial and error. Is this even the type of support i need?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd thought abt that but I'm cheap. We have a sawmill and so we mill all our own lumber. This is all none profit so I tend to spend money on thing i can't make. I know I can do it cripes i built the house with him. I just got to figure out the angles to get the heights. I'm figuring i need them abt 20' in the air. Sawing will commence this afternoon.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Photos would also be good from a tutorial perspective... in case someone else wants to do something like this, too. :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll try to run up there today and get some pics. I will definately take pics of the building process and post them. They wont be the best quality since I'll probably be using the kindle.

·
A Wee Bit Wicked
1,292 Posts
;) I am sure that others can give you better advice and far as structural pieces, but for hanging ghosts and skeletons I use fencing wire (down South we call it hotwire because it is used in electric fences) you can paint it black and it "disappears". I buy a big spool from Lowe's and it lasts YEARS! It will hold up the heavy Bucky Skeletons with no problem.:)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have southern family and i live on a farm so plenty of hotwire here!!!! Never thought abt using that but I'm headed to the barn to "borrow" some :) glad to know i can paint it do you use spray paint or a brush?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yea I agree with Pumpkin 5 on the wire...If you have access to lumber I would say string thick wire between the two of them. Drill holes in the lumber and stick the wire through and wrap it around.

Not sure how heavy your props are but the wire definitely wouldn't snap! Tough part would actually be putting the poles in the ground deep enough so that they would hold everything up though.
Where's a big tree when you need one!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I can't dig holes everything has to have a base to keep it upright. I take and put 4"feet" on each post think the compass points.

·
Registered
26 Posts
since you don'y have trees what about creating tall obelisks that look like they belong in cemetery then run black painted wires from the obelisks

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So i attempted the first one yesterday, along comes the husband an adapts it to using the big huge tent stakes. He seems to think that size hole will be okay. The plus is to this it will swing in the wind. Now to put in an eye hook and spray paint it black. I'll take some pictures when i get back to the shop

·
A Wee Bit Wicked
1,292 Posts
I have southern family and i live on a farm so plenty of hotwire here!!!! Never thought abt using that but I'm headed to the barn to "borrow" some :) glad to know i can paint it do you use spray paint or a brush?

:) It depends, whatever I have handy usually. When I don't use spray paint I use one of those cheap foam applicators to get the paint on the wire, you can get a pack of 5 at the Dollar Tree for a dollar. I use Hotwire for everything, it is tough and sturdy and you can even reuse it if you are patient enough to roll it up when you take your props down. Careful though, if you handle it a lot after you paint it, the paint will come off since the wire isn't prepped, but I usually just do it as a final touch. Sometimes if the prop is high up, I don't even paint it. The wire is so small from a distance, you have to really look to see it. :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts