Halloween Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a Lullaby prop a few months ago, but it starts rocking too fast and making a banging as it goes forward. It's powered by a laptop supply into what looks to be a wiper motor. Would it be so simple to build a project box that uses a dimmer switch before the power supply? Or do I have to wire in a potentiometer after the supply?

·
Registered
529 Posts
12V-40V 10A 13khz Pulse Width Modulation PWM DC Motor Speed Control Switch H2 EBAY $6 prop side (after the power supply) has worked well for me on several props including Distortions Lullaby Granny. Kind of late to be hunting one down : - (

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
You can also try a lower voltage power supply. Laptop power supplies are typically up around 18v. Try using a 5v power supply, that will slow it down and should still provide sufficient torque.

·
Funeral Crasher
7,463 Posts
Is this a prop in a rocking chair? I slowed my Rocking Granny down by stapling a section of carpet on the bottom of the rockers (the curved part), right at the back end.
That or display the chair on carpet or a rubber mat. That should slow it down without having to mess with the mechanics of it.

·
Registered
686 Posts
A simple dimmer switch will not work. If you are going get a 12V dimmer switch the current will burn it out immediately. They are not made for motors. The best bet is to get a PWM switch as Russel stated above.

OR option 2: What voltage wire are you hooking it to? If you are using the 12 volt wire it will run fast. All my power supplies are desktop supplies and not laptop supplies but i would think a laptop would have a 5V and 3.3V just like a desktop supply. A lot of my props i run are connected to the 3V line so they run much slower.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts