Halloween Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried to knock the GLARING shine off of vinyl boots? I have a pair of wrestling costume boots that I need to make much less shiny for a Superman costume. I tried Googling and found several different answers and ideas, but none ever seemed to be certain. Ideally the boots should probably look like leather, but I was just happy to actually find lace up (even faux) red knee high boots that didn't cost me an arm and a leg, so I will settle for just "not shiny".

Any advice would be appreciated! :)

Thanks!
QM

·
His name is Roger Clyne
10,085 Posts
These are just my first 2 thoughts & I've never done either one but if you don't want to use them for anything else or don't care if they're "ruined" maybe paint them or spray them with a matte clearcoat.

Very good question & I hope you get a good answer.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
These are just my first 2 thoughts & I've never done either one but if you don't want to use them for anything else or don't care if they're "ruined" maybe paint them or spray them with a matte clearcoat.

Very good question & I hope you get a good answer.
Yeah, there seems to be a lot of different opinions, but I haven't seen someone answer with a "worked for me, this is what I did!" kind of reply. Acetone or Thinner I've seen, I also heard Magic Eraser or sand paper. Someone even said milk, which I don't even know how that would make a difference! Will have to try out some of the maybe less "destructive" things first and see how it goes. I think i'll have to do something abrasive and then go with a clear coat to seal them. Hmmm....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was researching painting vinyl this past weekend and thought this may help you: This is a link to the flat black paint http://www.rustoleum.com/product-catalog/consumer-brands/auto/specialty-paints/fabric-and-vinyl/ and this is a link to a product comparison http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/painting-vinyl-upholstery-215327
oh, thank you! I'm hoping not to repaint the whole thing, but that is an option, of course. Especially if none of the methods I've seen for just removing the shine will work. It is indeed a bummer that the third one chipped during the scratch test. The chair looked so nice and I liked the idea of having the texture. Of course, I could still make that work, considering the costume is supposed to make Superman look like a welder, so it's not like his boots would be perfect, anyway...

Honestly, I was just super happy I found red, lace up boots for a guy in the first place - especially without having to spend a fortune on them! :D

~QM

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I painted a pair of my boots with fabric paint. Same paint I used on the bodysuit (and my face). Turned out flat and great.
View attachment 410170
Thanks! Yes, I have used fabric paint for many applications - but never on my face! Wow! Brave lady! I did however use acrylic and fabric paint on items WHILE our bodies. LOL took some time to get the acrylic off, but the fabric paint washed right off. :)

20288124156_bfc8a094e1_z.jpg 20314361255_74a0707c90_z.jpg 26939921535_2e7b45486c_z.jpg

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So, sadly I never found a good way to remove the shine - and ran out of time to try the "paint it" method. He just had shiny boots. But I think we came out pretty nicely, anyway. And the Angelus paint worked beautifully on my boots (I painted the white lines and stars).

35930896994_c640ba2faf_k.jpg
36595429332_e1468facc6_k.jpg

1 - 8 of 8 Posts