Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone!

I was wondering if anyone out there could help me out with trying to do a different type of sensoring for the new 2013 versions of the Spirit Animatronic. As usual, the built in noise activation sensor is lacking, and the footpad is so tiny and obvious that Trick or Treaters 'accidentally' triggering it is not possible. I found an old thread from last year which helped me to use a standard PIR system to help trigger my older 2012 Spirit animatronic (the kind that has the 2-prong footpad connector), but these new animatronics from Spirit no longer have a 2-prong plug in, rather a standard jack type of plug in (as seen here in the new Spirit footpads: http://www.spirithalloween.com/product/tt-universal-footpad-activator/?UTM_campaign=Search:SC:footpad). When I tried to do the same PIR method with this new one, stripping and connecting the PIR to this new plug in then plugging it into the footpad port, it didn't work at all. Has anyone tried to do a wireless motion sensor mechanism with the new 2013 Spirit animatronics and have any tips as to what I can do, or possibly what I did wrong? Sorry if this question barely made sense - I'm a newbie to all of this :)

~*Jenn*~

·
Registered
360 Posts
I was thinking of doing this with the jumping spider. Not sure how to do it so I will be interested in what everyone else thinks too. I have a wireless driveway alert system that I was going to use. Not sure if this will work or not.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does the new jumping spiders have the old 2-prong footpad connector, or does it also have the new plugin that this years animatronics has? Because if it does have the 2-prong plug in like my old animatronic has, the simple technique i found in an old forum might work. I can find it and link it if the spider has a 2-prong :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
I purchased a jumping spider this past weekend, if no one has checked by the time I get out of work I'll look when I get home. Interested in rigging up a different motion sensor as the one that comes stock is basically worthless. :mad:

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I have heard rumblings that the newer step pads use a different mechanism to trigger the scares. The old ones used a piezo-electric device in the pad the basically generate a small current when stepped on. I can't verify, but I thought I read somewhere the newer ones actually have some sort of a contact or switch mechanism now. Anyone heard the same, or could possibly verify this?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Bête noire
2,631 Posts
I have one of the Spiders that I got the first year they came out. I use a PIR/timer to trigger the prop. The controller uses a relay to short the two pins at the footpad connector for ~ 1 sec. I don't know if the first-year model used a piezo footpad, but the dry contact relay works great. Never misses.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello everyone. first time poster, but it was threads like this one that got me wondering why my props were not always working and so I thought the port was bad. After following the Thread on using the Driveway alarm and Otaku's Threads on the PIR Timer, then tearing things apart, I found that Spirit Halloween's Pads are Piezo Electric and would not trigger my NON-Spirit props. Now my pads are from this and last two years. Strangle though, some Spirit Props will trigger on dry contact, but others like Pyscho Girl in Wheelchair and the Nurse only trigger off a voltage change. My spiders from last year dry triggered but the brown ones from this year and the new snake required the Piezo. that said, I found that it can be trial and error, but the Driveway alarm option works great for the ones requiring Piezo activation and using Otaku's circuit for dry contact works great for others. The link for modifying the Driveway Alarm was already posted in this thread so I will not add it again.

A question to Otaku, if I could, you circuit worked great and I love the time function, but my hands are not a steady as they used to be and it took quite a while to build it. I thought I saw a reference to a person who was making them and selling on the internet, but cannot find it again. would you have that information, or are you making them? I would be interested in buying several. Thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi again everyone =)

I'm just checking in to see if anyone has had any luck with trying to connect a better type of sensoring to the 2013 batch of Spirit animatronics. Still haven't a clue what I can do since the PIR thing is a bust - which I'm guessing has something to do with the internal workings of the animatronic itself. But that is just a guess since I am Completely clueless when it comes to anything dealing with wires :confused:

Right now I am literally taping the alarm part of the PIR right next to the sound sensor on the base of the animatronic so that the animatronic goes off whenever the alarm goes off. The only bad thing about that is, even with the alarm wrapped up in a shirt and muffled, i can still hear the alarm. So every time someone triggers the PIR sensor, you can hear the little "ding dong" sound loud & clear. It''s almost like someone is entering a Kwik-E Mart right before the animatronic goes off. Bc of this, my only option is to have the sensor inside of the house & manually set it off so that the annoying alarm sound won't keep going off every time a person or car passes. Frustrating :( Does anyone have any other ideas that I can use?

·
Registered
107 Posts
from what I have read all it does is connect a circuit. So you should be able to use any normally open switch

·
Registered
360 Posts
I bought one last night. I didnt buy the step pad with it though. The sound and motion sensor that is on the front seems to be working very well. It sure scared my dog lol..well and myself too when it went off on the counter! I though hubby was gonna laugh himself to death because I screamed =) So for this year I am going to use the sensor on the prop. If any of you get it to work with the pir let me know how it works.

As for the sound..is there a way to disable/break it so you dont hear it? I have a strobe light that made thunder sounds so we stuck a pin in it and broke the sound. It was an older light to if it didnt work I wasnt to worried about it. So far so good though.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Hwaigrl, you might try this. Be sure to read all of the posts. BobbyA provided a great modification to the driveway alert that worked magnificently on my spirit props this year. If the prop has a motion detector use the LED light of the driveway alert to trigger it. If it has a sound sensor use the modification and extend the wiring of the alert chime speaker and put it on top of the prop sound sensor. I used this driveway alert system on all of my Spirit props this year including two Spirit jumping spiders and they never failed to trigger. Here is the link to the tutorial:

http://www.halloweenforum.com/tutorials-step-step/120923-extremely-simply-pir-prop-trigger.html

·
Registered
566 Posts
Hey TJN66...yes a couple of ideas. First, and I know this may be stupid but is the spider turned on? I have a couple of props that were not working this year and I discovered I had not turned them on. Now, are we talking about the driveway alert PIR system? If we are not I don't know what to suggest. If we are talking about this PIR driveway alert are you sure the alert is working? Again, is this receiver turned on? When you move in front of the sending unit the receiver should chime. Ok if this is working then be sure your jumping spider is set to "ON" or "Sensor" and not on "Footpad". If this is ok then make sure the spider is working. Trigger the spider by making a noise in front of it. If it triggers great you know the problem is not the spider. I don't believe these spiders have a motion sensor built into them. I believe they operate either on sound sensor or footpad trigger so the LED light trick will not work for this. The LED trigger will work on props like the Spirit Headless Harry that has a motion sensor eye at his foot. Now if everything above is working put the receiver of the driveway alert face down on top of the sound sensor on the spider. On mine this is located next to the spider's speaker. There is a hole in the top of the plastic case. If you look you will see a small silver sensor inside this hole. Put the receiver face down over this hole. Actually you should be able to put the receiver next to the plastic case near the sound sensor and it should trigger. Trigger the alert and the spider should trigger. If it does trigger secure the receiver in this position so it doesn't jar loose as the spider operates throughout the night. There is a "HI" and "LOW" setting on the receiver. Try the low setting as it will make a quieter sound that can be masked pretty easily with other noises in the haunt or by putting dampening material around the receiver. I used this driveway alert with my spider last year and it worked like a charm. Now, this is a down and dirty, quick and easy PIR trigger system. If you have the time and inclination, for a more sofisticated system you can modify the receiver using the information provided by BobbA in the link I provided above. The modification only takes about 30 min to do and it works great. It is basically the same idea only you open the receiver case and remove the receiver speaker, extend the wiring of the speaker by adding additional wire and put a reistor in one of the speaker wires. Then put the speaker on the sound sensor of the spider. The resistor practically eliminates any sound from the receiver but it will still trigger the prop. I used this modification this year on two spiders and other props with great success. I hope this helps.

P.S. I like the Stilbeast Studios youtube video about his modification of the PIR driveway alert but it occurs to me that if the prop will turn on and off with each press of its original button it will turn on when someone passes by the PIR and turn off when the next person passes by the PIR. I don't see anyway around this with the simple PIR driveway alert if the original prop is set up to turn on and off each time the putton is pushed. Also, by using both he sending unit and the receiver you can trigger a prop wirelessly. By using only the PIR sending unit you are tied by a wire to the prop. Not necessarily a bad thing. Just an observation.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts