Halloween Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought the "Re-Animated Corpse" (5124187) prop new in the box a few years ago. I put it away and never tested it that year. The following year when i dug it out, hooked it all up and put it together, i discovered it did not work at all. Nothing happens, does not make any sound, does not animate, nothing. I have inspected all wires and have spent many hours trying different things to get it to work. I don't know if the circuit board in the head is bad. Or if its the sensor in the mouth, or the power plug coming out of the bottom. I have only used recommended 6V DC power adapters with this prop. Either way it has been a MAJOR disappointment and a waste of money. Every year around this time i keep trying to fix it hoping this dead prop will finally reanimate. (pun intended) lol

Any ideas, leads, or input on what i can do, or try, to fix it would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
-SilentKrill

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here are some pictures of the "Re-Animated" Corpse prop in question. Along with pics of its insides.

Action figure Fictional character Figurine Toy Supervillain

Action figure Fictional character Costume Supervillain Toy

Front of the motion sensor.
Head Jaw Organ Mouth Eye

A view inside the head.
Electrical wiring Wire Electrical network Technology Electrical supply

Wire Electrical wiring Technology Electronic device Electrical supply

Back side of the motion sensor.
Organ Dish Cuisine Food

Hooked up wires.
Technology Room Windshield Vehicle Automotive window part

View of the motor.
Automotive lighting Headlamp Wire Auto part Wheel

Auto part Tire Automotive tire Automotive exterior Bumper

The plug coming out the bottom.
Technology Electronic device Gadget Hardwood Flooring

·
Registered
500 Posts
If absolutely nothing at all happens, that's typically one of a bad power supply, power connection, or completely dead main control board. I'd recommend getting a cheap multimeter from your local hardware store/Harbor Freight, and start checking the voltage at the power supply plug, the point where the power comes into the control board, and at various other points to see if the prop is even getting any power at all.

Also, have you tried opening up that little box around the power socket? It looks kind of flimsy, and might be an area where you could have lost a connection.

·
Registered
14,684 Posts
He's a cool looking prop. Really hope you solve his power issue. Since you never saw if he worked from the beginning, hopefully its not something like wires being switched. We had that happen on some LED strip lighting for our BBQ island and our electrician couldn't get it to work, transformer seemed okay. Hubby thought of checking the wiring connection and decided the only thing it could be was how it was wired. In our case after much trouble shooting that's what it was. The factory in China switched wire positions in the connectors. Once found, a quick fix.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If absolutely nothing at all happens, that's typically one of a bad power supply, power connection, or completely dead main control board. I'd recommend getting a cheap multimeter from your local hardware store/Harbor Freight, and start checking the voltage at the power supply plug, the point where the power comes into the control board, and at various other points to see if the prop is even getting any power at all.

Also, have you tried opening up that little box around the power socket? It looks kind of flimsy, and might be an area where you could have lost a connection.

Thanks for the feedback, This is what it looks like inside that little power socket. The wires are intact.

Technology Electronic device Wire

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

This is the confirmed working power adapter that i am using, (i also tried a 2nd working one just in case).

Electronic device Technology Adapter Adapter Electronics accessory

Also, i didn't think of a multimeter. While i currently do not have an actual multimeter, i do have one of these things.

Material property Plastic

Material property

When testing against the power adapter, as well as halfway down the wire, it says the adapter is sending power.

Light Lighting Light fixture Wood Wire

Then when i test against the power wire on the prop itself, it does light up stating the prop is getting power.

This is up near the motor on the prop.
Light Hand Finger Magenta Room

This is up in the head where the circuit board and all the other wires are.
Finger Hand Gun Trigger Firearm

Is this sufficient enough to determine the same answer that you suggested the multimeter for?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
He's a cool looking prop. Really hope you solve his power issue. Since you never saw if he worked from the beginning, hopefully its not something like wires being switched. We had that happen on some LED strip lighting for our BBQ island and our electrician couldn't get it to work, transformer seemed okay. Hubby thought of checking the wiring connection and decided the only thing it could be was how it was wired. In our case after much trouble shooting that's what it was. The factory in China switched wire positions in the connectors. Once found, a quick fix.

Thanks, yeah he is really cool looking in person, great detail in the paint. Its been just a major disappointment never getting it to work. I keep trying and trying every year hoping to finally figure it out.

Jeez that's crazy about your LED lighting. I wouldn't even begin to know if any wires are crossed or switched. :/

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Given the quality of the electrical/electronics workmanship, don't get your hopes too high.
Yeah i thought that as well the first time i inspected the inside of the head. Thought that is looked like a sloppy glue job... but then again, this is the first and only time I've ever inspected these kind of connections. So for all i know, they could of all looked like this. lol

·
Registered
500 Posts
Also, i didn't think of a multimeter. While i currently do not have an actual multimeter, i do have one of these things.
Is this sufficient enough to determine the same answer that you suggested the multimeter for?
Hmm; those are intended to sense AC household electricity, not low-voltage DC, so I'd have to say no; the fact that it lit up when you brought it near the prop's wires could mean that they're running 6V, that something went terribly wrong and they're running 120V, or that they're running nothing at all but the tester chose to light up anyway, as I've personally seen mine do with low-voltage wiring in the past. You really need a multimeter. They're handy in all sorts of applications, and you can get a basic one for $10 or even less.

Also, I couldn't help but notice the last item on that list of props:
"POO UP ZOMBIE"? Either Spirit is going down some rather dark alleys, or they need to find a copyeditor.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Mine broke after two years as well, I bought it for $50 at halloween city though so it wasn't a big deal. I checked all the electronics and couldn't fix it. I still love it though, I swapped the motor for a christmas deer one I had and added battery operated LEDs to the eyes and screws. It pretty much does the same minus the sound. I have too many talking props though so it doesn't make a difference :)... Good luck!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I would like to take another crack at fixing this prop. I have picked up a cheap multimeter, but I have never used one before so I don't know what I am looking for. If anybody has experience with multimeters, fixing props, and can help me out and walk me through what to try so we can get this thing working for once!

Thanks a ton!!!

·
Registered
500 Posts
Sure - first off, though, post a picture of your multimeter. That will help with giving directions on how to use it. The basic idea is that you set the multimeter to measure whatever the quantity in question is (most commonly in this application either voltage or continuity), and then touch the two test probes on either side of the component you want to test. For example, if you want to verify that your power adapter is putting out the voltage it should, you would set the meter to measure voltage, depending on the type you may need to set a range, and then you would touch the probes to the two metal contacts on the end of the power plug (generally one inside the barrel, and one to the outside of the barrel). The multimeter will then display the voltage level it's putting out. Definitely be liberal with the pictures, though; forum-based tech support is tricky!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sure - first off, though, post a picture of your multimeter. That will help with giving directions on how to use it. The basic idea is that you set the multimeter to measure whatever the quantity in question is (most commonly in this application either voltage or continuity), and then touch the two test probes on either side of the component you want to test. For example, if you want to verify that your power adapter is putting out the voltage it should, you would set the meter to measure voltage, depending on the type you may need to set a range, and then you would touch the probes to the two metal contacts on the end of the power plug (generally one inside the barrel, and one to the outside of the barrel). The multimeter will then display the voltage level it's putting out. Definitely be liberal with the pictures, though; forum-based tech support is tricky!
Thank you CDW. Here are pictures of the cheap multimeter I picked up. Will this work?

Gauge Measuring instrument Speedometer Auto part Meter
Gauge Technology Measuring instrument Electronic device Electronics

Wire Electronic device Technology Measuring instrument Electronics accessory

·
Registered
500 Posts
Yes, that should work - you won't get much precision out of it, but you don't really need to for this application.

Basically, you'll want to plug those two probes into the meter, black to -, red to +, then turn the dial so it's pointed at 10 DCV. Then plug in your power block, and test the plug like I described above, red probe inside the barrel, black to the outside. If it shows around 6V, plug it into the prop's power connector, then touch the exposed wire ends on the connector and see if they read 6V as well, red to the red wire, black to the white wire. Then just keep working your way up the wires, touching the black probe to exposed metal on the *********** wire and the red probe to places where there should be power, and see what you get.

Also, I just wanted to confirm - sometimes light-sensor props, like this one, are a bit difficult to set off. Have you tried just shining a bright flashlight into his mouth sensor, and then moving it away?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok great, I will try all that tonight once I get home from work. With the multiple lines of numbers on the screen of the multimeter, which line am I looking for it to be at 6v (green, black, red)?

Also yes I have tried the flashlight tip with lights off, on, inside, outside, all with no luck. :/

·
Registered
500 Posts
Ok great, I will try all that tonight once I get home from work. With the multiple lines of numbers on the screen of the multimeter, which line am I looking for it to be at 6v (green, black, red)?
If you ever find yourself in the market again for a multimeter, I can recommend buying a digital one; they're not that much more expensive, and they're a lot easier to use. In any case, with this one, you should look at the line where the top number matches the range you set it to; in this case, since we're in the 10V range, use the red line that goes from 0-10.

Also yes I have tried the flashlight tip with lights off, on, inside, outside, all with no luck. :/
Oh well, I had to check :D. Would have been simpler if it was just that.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok sorry for the delay, I had to order a new plug online, because the original one was giving me mixed readings.

This was the old one that has now been replaced.
Light Automotive lighting Technology Photography Auto part

With the new plug installed, and it plugged in, I have followed the positive/negative wires coming out off the wall, and have checked every connection pont along the way with the multimeter. I am reading 6v at every positive/negative spot all the way up to and through both circuit boards.

Electronics Technology Auto part Electronic device Brake

Auto part Technology Electronic device Engine Electrical wiring

Electrical wiring Wire Cable Networking cables Electrical connector

Wire Cable Networking cables Electrical wiring Technology

Food Dish Cuisine

Electronics Electronic engineering Passive circuit component Circuit component Capacitor

Technology Food

1 - 20 of 25 Posts